Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   is it wrong to play down (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=127387)

iplaybetter 04-09-2007 05:43 AM

is it wrong to play down

is it wrong to play 5th or 6th on my ms team because i like doubles and some of the other players are really bad at doubles, top 4 play singles; i could play 3 if i wanted

is it wrong?

flash9 04-09-2007 07:30 AM

Do what you Like and Enjoy most!

iplaybetter Ė Basically if you have to choose, play what you like best.
I do not know how old you are and what level you are talking about. But twenty five years ago when I was in High School in Texas, I also was a better doubles player then singles. My high school coach picked the team based on a singles ladder system. We played four courts of singles and three courts of doubles, so he needed six players for each match. As a sophomore I was only strong enough at singles to be 7 or 8 on the team. It so happened that the guy I was constantly swapping back and forth with for the 7 or 8 spot was my doubles partner from the summer before our sophomore season and we had traveled around Texas playing in the 16ís in about a dozen small town weekend tournaments. The coach would have us play doubles in practice against the other three doubles teams and we would regularly beat both the number three and number two doubles, and push the number one doubles team, but still the coach would not play us. Both my doubles partner and I made the team as Juniorís, but the coach wanted to split us up. Basically, by my Senior year I had had enough of the coach and stopped playing. :-(
I started to play again about ten years ago and still enjoy doubles way more then singles.

iplaybetter 04-09-2007 09:59 AM

i am talking middle school tennis is a lacrosse town
top four on the ladder play singles
5-10 play doubles

on the a team

flash9 04-09-2007 11:32 AM

Maybe offer to do both?

Again, I do not know how many matches are played in your season, but by being one of the top four, it appears to me that this gives you the option of asking the coach to play singles or doubles. Maybe ask that you take turns, so that you can play both everyother match?
In Middle School it is much more important to have fun then anything else! :p

iplaybetter 04-09-2007 12:05 PM

i wish but i am not sure that the coaches what to deal with that they have to work with 40 kids, 15 of which have a clue how to play

ibringtheHEAT 04-09-2007 12:25 PM

seriously, middle school tennis is about fun. it doesn't count for anything, it's just about getting better. Don't worry about playing down, just play to the best of your ability, once your 1st seed on high school varsity then you can worry about playing down.

103xStateChamp 04-18-2007 04:26 PM

:o thats fine damn I'm glad my team only has 7 spots instead of like 12 because we only have 10 solid players then some avg ones