Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Why did Evert marry John Lloyd in the first place? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=127779)

Gundam 04-11-2007 11:21 AM

Why did Evert marry John Lloyd in the first place?
 
Evert was known to be very 'active' in dating among tennis players unlike her image. She was not an impulsive kind. Before Lloyd, she dated Jimmy Connors and almost married him. It seems Evert was disappointed with Lloyd's on-court attitude (but who can compete with Jimbo in that department...). So, I wonder what was so great about John Lloyd?

sandy mayer 04-11-2007 11:28 AM

Being good or bad at tennis doesn't have anything to do with how good a husband somebody is.

zapvor 04-11-2007 11:30 AM

no idea, but i never realized how attractive she was before

BreakPoint 04-11-2007 11:33 AM

Why not? John Lloyd is a good looking guy and likely...ahem....satisfied her needs, if you know what I mean. ;)

Moose Malloy 04-11-2007 11:59 AM

This is definitely one of the strangest threads. Why did you marry your wife Gundam?

I think its a little absurd that many imply Evert was promiscuous just because she dated more than one or 2 guys in her life, she wasn't a nun you know.

Women have it hard, always being judged for things no one would ever notice about a man.

Gundam 04-11-2007 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Malloy (Post 1372143)
This is definitely one of the strangest threads. Why did you marry your wife Gundam?

I think its a little absurd that many imply Evert was promiscuous just because she dated more than one or 2 guys in her life, she wasn't a nun you know.

Women have it hard, always being judged for things no one would ever notice about a man.

Moose,

Let me apologize seriously. It IS a silly thread, sorry.
I was about to attend a meeting in 1 min and the question came up rather suddenly...
We all know about Evert's mental fortitude and coolness on court. To me, it seemed like an extreme-Connors and Lloyd. Didn't Connors destory Lloyd in one occasion when Evert married Lloyd? Oh, well, I guess she was attracted to him for some reasons but gradually disappointed with something unexpected (as most of us do).

gsquicksilver 04-11-2007 02:41 PM

my question is, why did her and jimmy connors break of the engagement? i've never found out why.

zapvor 04-11-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Malloy (Post 1372143)
This is definitely one of the strangest threads. Why did you marry your wife Gundam?

I think its a little absurd that many imply Evert was promiscuous just because she dated more than one or 2 guys in her life, she wasn't a nun you know.

Women have it hard, always being judged for things no one would ever notice about a man.

i am reading her biography right now, so maybe i will make a post after i am more into teh book. so far i know that she was super sheltered in childhood, so she tried to make up for it in her later years.

jeebeesus 04-12-2007 01:08 AM

Because i turned her down and she married Loyd on the rebound

tennus 04-12-2007 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundam (Post 1372085)
Evert was known to be very 'active' in dating among tennis players unlike her image. She was not an impulsive kind. Before Lloyd, she dated Jimmy Connors and almost married him. It seems Evert was disappointed with Lloyd's on-court attitude (but who can compete with Jimbo in that department...). So, I wonder what was so great about John Lloyd?

Here's a few extracts from the Evert / Navratilova book "The Rivals"; Evert requested an introduction to Lloyd after reading a newspaper interview he had given a few weeks prior to the 1978 Wimbledon tournament. Lloyd talked about how the constant travel on tour made having a personal life difficult. He said he wished he could meet somebody he could fall in love with, someone who would travel with him and share his life. The story - not to mention the accompanying photo of a shirtless Lloyd caught Evert's attention. "I had been feeeling the same way about the tour for some time" she said. Within three months Lloyd and Evert were talking marriage. By Christmas they were engaged. They married on April 17, 1979. :)

Gundam 04-12-2007 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennus (Post 1373416)
Here's a few extracts from the Evert / Navratilova book "The Rivals"; Evert requested an introduction to Lloyd after reading a newspaper interview he had given a few weeks prior to the 1978 Wimbledon tournament. Lloyd talked about how the constant travel on tour made having a personal life difficult. He said he wished he could meet somebody he could fall in love with, someone who would travel with him and share his life. The story - not to mention the accompanying photo of a shirtless Lloyd caught Evert's attention. "I had been feeeling the same way about the tour for some time" she said. Within three months Lloyd and Evert were talking marriage. By Christmas they were engaged. They married on April 17, 1979. :)

Great! Thanks!!

obanaghan 05-04-2007 03:51 PM

My friend has a theory about divorce. She say she will date a divorced man. But no a twice divorced man because that means two other women have married him and decided to move on. The constant in the equation is the twice divorced man.

Now Chris Evert has divorced a second time. She has three boys ages between ages 10-15. She should listen to Dr. Laura and not even think about dating until her youngest is a high school graduate.

It is surprising that wild boy Connors is still in his first marriage and she has divorced twice.

Maybe the question shouldn't be what she saw in them but what they saw in her. Only compared to Rosie Casals, BJK and MN is she a beauty. She is no dog but she is not very attractive and now with that knarled sagging sun baked skin...

CEvertFan 05-04-2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obanaghan (Post 1423178)
My friend has a theory about divorce. She say she will date a divorced man. But no a twice divorced man because that means two other women have married him and decided to move on. The constant in the equation is the twice divorced man.

Now Chris Evert has divorced a second time. She has three boys ages between ages 10-15. She should listen to Dr. Laura and not even think about dating until her youngest is a high school graduate.

It is surprising that wild boy Connors is still in his first marriage and she has divorced twice.

Maybe the question shouldn't be what she saw in them but what they saw in her. Only compared to Rosie Casals, BJK and MN is she a beauty. She is no dog but she is not very attractive and now with that knarled sagging sun baked skin...


All tennis players are going to have some sort of skin issues once they are done playing the game (Even Sharapova and the Williams sisters) because it comes with the territory, but I've seen recent photos of Evert and she looked GREAT! Her skin isn't how you described it at all.

thejackal 05-04-2007 10:15 PM

connors is married?

wow thats news to me

CEvertFan 05-04-2007 10:34 PM

As a matter of fact here are two photos of Evert:

1985 French Open



2005 with Maria Sharapova



I think she looks great for a woman in her 50s.

Mick 05-05-2007 04:06 AM

Love means nothing to a tennis player. This was a long time ago before they experienced the pain of divorce :)


christo 05-06-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundam (Post 1372085)
Evert was known to be very 'active' in dating among tennis players unlike her image. She was not an impulsive kind. Before Lloyd, she dated Jimmy Connors and almost married him. It seems Evert was disappointed with Lloyd's on-court attitude (but who can compete with Jimbo in that department...). So, I wonder what was so great about John Lloyd?

he could lick his eyebrows

suwanee4712 05-07-2007 06:47 AM

I think even Chrissie would tell us that John helped her career tremendously. If he wasn't driven enough in his own career, at least he was able to be a hitting partner for Chris during his respites from the tour and was of great moral support to her.

I remember reading that after Chris lost to Tracy at the 1979 US Open final, she called John in Europe (he was getting ready for Davis Cup) and told him she really needed him. John was also very good at studying Martina, Tracy, Hana, Andrea, etc. and helping Chris and Dennis Ralston with strategy.

I think Chris gives John a lot of credit for her improvement in 1984 and 1985. So he was a very important compenent to her life - personally and professionally.

mctennis 05-07-2007 10:57 AM

Hung like a horse.......

Rabbit 05-07-2007 11:41 AM

I think Evert at 50-something looks a ton better than Sharapova at 20.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse