Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Has anyone here seen Carl Uwe Steeb play? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=130399)

Shaolin 04-27-2007 01:44 PM

Has anyone here seen Carl Uwe Steeb play?

Just looking for some info on Carl Steeb.

Im curious since a guy that I used to play all the time, a really good German player, mentioned that he had a win on him in the juniors. I didnt think much of it at the time since I had never heard of Steeb (I started playing in 94 and didnt really watch anyone but Sampras for a few years) but when I noticed he was playing the Champions tour with Rios, MeEnroe etc I looked him up. He had some really good wins, beating guys like Ivanisevic, Courier, Agassi and even Muster (on clay).

Just wondering if anyone here saw him play and what style he played, his main weapons etc. I assume he was a good baseliner from the clay results.

sandy mayer 04-27-2007 01:52 PM

From what I remember he had a massive forehand but not much of abackhand.

Moose Malloy 04-27-2007 01:56 PM

I saw him play Becker at the '92 US Open(pretty close match I think) Really viscious lefty forehand, big swing, heavy topspin. For some reason I think he resembled Verdasco.

He won a ridiculously long match against Wilander in the '88 Davis Cup Final(on clay) They show highlights of this davis cup final on TTC sometimes, I think I have it on tape.

I most remember him for being on the other side of the net during a pathetic tank job by Agassi in the '89 Davis Cup SF, when Mary Carillo & Drysdale just tore Agassi to shreds.

Condoleezza 04-27-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin (Post 1407606)
Just looking for some info on Carl Steeb.

Im curious since a guy that I used to play all the time, a really good German player, mentioned that he had a win on him in the juniors. I didnt think much of it at the time since I had never heard of Steeb (I started playing in 94 and didnt really watch anyone but Sampras for a few years) but when I noticed he was playing the Champions tour with Rios, MeEnroe etc I looked him up. He had some really good wins, beating guys like Ivanisevic, Courier, Agassi and even Muster (on clay).

Just wondering if anyone here saw him play and what style he played, his main weapons etc. I assume he was a good baseliner from the clay results.

Steeb's greatest win ever was in the Davis Cup final in Sweden 1988 when he beat world #1 Mats Wilander in a dramatic 5-setter to pave the way for Germany's sensational 3-2 victory against the Swedish stars (Wilander, Edberg). 1988 was the year Wilander won 3 slams.

Condi

NoBadMojo 04-27-2007 02:00 PM

Steeb was a good journeyman...well rounded game.. he retired several years ago and may or may not be playing much, so cant say if a W over him is terrific or not. Never got that deep in the draw of a majour i dont think and perhaps won a small handful of singles titles. Used a Fischer frame with his autograph for some while which was the prettiest frame I've ever seen. It was also grommetless and came in two halves with some sort of strip betwen the two halves..was a nice playing bat. how;s that Mike for more info than you wish to process? whirrrrrrrr....whirrrrrrrr ;)

Moose Malloy 04-27-2007 02:15 PM

He's doing allright on the senior tour, has recent wins over McEnroe & Muster.

April 19th, 2007

A point-penalty against John McEnroe at 6-6 in the second set Tie-break sent the American to a 6-4, 7-6(9) opening group match defeat against Carl-Uwe Steeb in Barcelona.

McEnroe struggled to find his rhythm throughout a thrilling encounter on the clay at the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona 1899, but when he led 5-2 in the second set Tie-Break, he seemed set to level at one set all.

But, Steeb kept battling, and he saved a first set point at 4-6 with a stunning backhand drop-volley off a seemingly unplayable McEnroe passing shot.

Rattled, McEnroe double-faulted on his second set point, and such was his frustration, the American threw his racquet the full length of the court.

The umpire, who had already warned McEnroe, then issued him with a point-penalty – a rare occurrence on the BlackRock Tour of Champions.

The warning seemed to inspire McEnroe to even greater efforts, and he saved three match points before eventually succumbing on the fourth to a brilliant Steeb lob.

McEnroe felt harshly-treated by the umpire to receive a point-penalty at such a pivotal moment of the match, but Steeb believed the right decision had been made.

“From the beginning John was tense, and I knew that if something went wrong he would freak out and that would be my chance,” said Steeb.

“He deserved the point-penalty. It was bad timing but the umpire couldn’t do anything else.”

http://www.blackrocktourofchampions....barcelona2.asp

NoBadMojo 04-27-2007 07:25 PM

ohhh..so mac behaved like a tool in an event and got warned and then complained about it? how charming......what an idiot

but anyway..i think shaolin was talking about how good Steeb was when he was a junior..i would suspect pretty damn good...but maybe not so relational to how things are now

Shaolin 04-27-2007 07:41 PM

Hey thanks for all of the info guys. Sounds like Steeb was sort of Muster-like, or a poor mans Muster maybe. Im sure McEnroe hated losing to such a relatively unknown guy but then he acts like a spoiled kid in a cereal isle all the time.

thomas martinez 04-27-2007 08:02 PM

Eh wouldn't say Muster like. He had a really solid all court game as well. Hell of a damn fine doubles player. Even played with Stich a bit here and there. His forehand, was itneresting, he took the racket back horizontal to the court and whipped through it. His backhand, a bit like Nadal in the way he seriously met the ball out front with western grips. Had a decent serve as well. For a small guy, he routinely hit the low 120s, 11Xs on it. Back when we had the Hamlet Cup here on Long Island, I was working court crew one year. He smashed a frame during practice, which I picked up. Later on got him, Stich, Edberg and someone else to autograph it. He laughed at it when I brought it to him. Still remember him saying I wonder who was going to get it. Really ace guy.

Shaolin 04-28-2007 10:09 AM

^funny story : ) Do you still have the stick?

I guess Steeb had a 2 handed BH then. His FH sounds like the type of FH Magnus Norman and also Gustafsson hit, pendulum style downward backswing.

urban 04-28-2007 10:43 AM

Steeb was a workman like player with solid groundies, no volleys and good looks. He was one of a few quite good, second players for Germany in the times of Boris and Stich, who seldom played on the same team. Others included Westphal (who died on HIV), Kühnen, Schwaier, Göllner and Jelen, who was the most talented touch player of the lot, but lacked athletic and mental strength.

Moose Malloy 04-28-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Westphal (who died on HIV),
I had no idea. That was the guy that Edberg beat to win the Davis Cup final one year, right?

urban 04-28-2007 11:23 PM

Yes, and his girlfriend, a German actress, later married Stich, now they are divorced. Westphal most famous match was a DC win over Czech Tomas Smid at Frankfurt in 1985, a 5 hour thriller with a 18-16 or something last set. During the match the underground carpet broke up, and had to be repaired with nails. In that final match with Edberg, Westphal played out of his mind and went for broke in the first set, going for direct winners on all balls. Edberg needed a set and a half to get a grip on the match, then Westphal's game was reduced to his normal form.

Colpo 04-30-2007 10:10 AM

Some of my favorite owned frames are several Fischer Twin Tec Pros from around 1989-1990. I mention them because they feature Steeb's autograph inside the throat - it was his model, and Fischer was probably banking on his future success. They feature an innovative technology of fusing two racquet halves together around a vibe-damping core seam. I love how they play, weight, balance, and especially grip shape - and no grommets to worry over.

pj80 05-01-2007 11:23 AM

speaking of steeb, here he is interviewing pistol pete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEvOb04yns0

Moose Malloy 02-20-2013 03:24 PM

bumping up a 6 year old thread if anyone wants to see some of Steeb's win over Stich at '92 Olympics(go to 27 min mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMwg2slO6E

still can't believe Olympics used to be best of 5 all rounds

Mustard 02-20-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Malloy (Post 7227144)
bumping up a 6 year old thread if anyone wants to see some of Steeb's win over Stich at '92 Olympics(go to 27 min mark)

Yes. Goran Ivanisevic, in particular, had a crazy run, winning 4 matches in a row in 5 sets before losing to Marc Rosset in the semi finals.

matchmaker 02-20-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Youngsters here will be wondering, when watching Stich, whether chipping and charging was ever legal on claycourt...

kiki 02-20-2013 10:25 PM

Played like Muster without his power fire
A mediocre player but Becker hyped him for DC

Shaolin 02-21-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Thanks for bumping my old thread Moose.. I'll check out that video.