Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   San Antonio tennis? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=131458)

Midlife crisis 05-03-2007 07:28 PM

San Antonio tennis?

I'm going to be in San Antonio the week of May 21st, and staying near 5th and South Alamo streets. Are there any tennis clubs nearby where I might be able to go and get in on a hitting session or two, or is there anyone who might want to have a hit some time in the late afternoon or early evening (NTRP 4.5 or so)? I've only got hard courts where I live, so any other kind of surface would be a bonus.

Thanks.

penpal 05-04-2007 02:30 PM

I'm not from San Antonio, but it looks like the closest facility to your location is the Fairchild Tennis Center at 1214 E Crockett St. The McFarlan Tennis Center doesn't appear to be too much farther away at 1503 San Pedro Ave. There also looks to be a St. Phillips College to the east at 1801 Martin Luther King Dr.

Sorry, but I don't have any information on any of these facilities.

Midlife crisis 05-04-2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penpal (Post 1423045)
I'm not from San Antonio, but it looks like the closest facility to your location is the Fairchild Tennis Center at 1214 E Crockett St. The McFarlan Tennis Center doesn't appear to be too much farther away at 1503 San Pedro Ave. There also looks to be a St. Phillips College to the east at 1801 Martin Luther King Dr.

Sorry, but I don't have any information on any of these facilities.

Thanks. I'll check these places out. My initial thought was to google for tennis there, but it's hard to know how the places are and if they even have anything available on a drop-in basis like I need.

penpal 05-04-2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midlife crisis (Post 1423154)
Thanks. I'll check these places out. My initial thought was to google for tennis there, but it's hard to know how the places are and if they even have anything available on a drop-in basis like I need.

Which is one of the reasons I've created CourtCoverage.com. Based on the difficulty I've experienced enticing tennis players to enter reviews of tennis clubs though, it would appear you and I are among only a handful of people who are interested in more in-depth info related to tennis facilities :p

atatu 05-04-2007 05:00 PM

Go to Mcfarlan, that's your best bet. Also, search this same forum for San Antonio, there has been at least one thread on this already.

moonshine 05-05-2007 05:52 AM

For the love of God, stay away from Fairchild. To echo what atatu said, McFarland is your best bet to find a match. You will have to work some magic to find other surfaces to play on. Only the nicer clubs have something other than hard courts. If you wish to try, San Antonio Country Club and The Club at Sonterra have Har-Tru courts. Oak Hills Country Club has clay and grass courts. Each of the clubs has its own guest policy, and you will have to call to find out what that is. So unless a member of one of these clubs responds to you, you will probably be playing on hard courts. I will be in town at that point, but I do not know if I will be working or where we can meet to play as of yet (I am in the process of relocating). As we get closer to the date I can probably commit to playing a little more.

Midlife crisis 05-05-2007 08:55 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll see if our club has a reciprocal arrangement with anything down there and if not, I'll go and try to get something scheduled at McFarland. That week is right before the last team match so I'd better at least get some hitting in.