Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Wondering if Sharapova will... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=135031)

tennissavy 05-24-2007 05:37 PM

Wondering if Sharapova will...

Withdraw from her semi-final match tomorrow. She has a habit of doing that just prior to big events. She gets a couple of matches "under her belt" and saves herself for the next event disappointing ticketholders. I hope she actually sticks with a tournament to its' conclusion even though the main event is only a couple of days away but I have my doubts. What do you think?

charlottefromca 05-24-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennissavy (Post 1467456)
Withdraw from her semi-final match tomorrow. She has a habit of doing that just prior to big events. She gets a couple of matches "under her belt" and saves herself for the next event disappointing ticketholders. I hope she actually sticks with a tournament to its' conclusion even though the main event is only a couple of days away but I have my doubts. What do you think?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but do you think you can provide us with some prior examples? My memory is foggy.

tennissavy 05-24-2007 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlottefromca (Post 1467488)
I'm not saying you are wrong, but do you think you can provide us with some prior examples? My memory is foggy.

The best one that comes to mind was the 2005 Advanta Championships. She played two matches, was pushed to 3 sets by Molik in the second match, and she withdrew citing a shoulder injury. Two days later she started competing at the season ending championships(beaucoup bucks there and ranking points) and ended up winning it over Serena Williams in the final. She obviously felt that she had enough match practice and wanted to be fresh for the bigger event. She was serving phenomenally well for someone with a bad shoulder injury not to mention cracking forehand winners(yes, she did cite the right shoulder as being injured). I was bummed since I bought tickets for that semi-final and she was already in LA for the next event.

jmverdugo 05-25-2007 07:03 AM

Well, she didnt retire but she is loosing to

tennissavy 05-25-2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmverdugo (Post 1468550)
Well, she didnt retire but she is loosing to

Yeah, good for her and the fans that she didn't retire. However, in Strasbourg, Jankovic retired so she could rest for the French Open.

saguar0 05-25-2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennissavy (Post 1467456)

Naah, she just tanked it :D