Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Navratilova seeks Czech citizenship again (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=135873)

sureshs 05-30-2007 05:52 AM

Navratilova seeks Czech citizenship again
 
http://www.dailyindia.com/show/14527...izenship-again

Fed up with Bush, tennis star Navratilova seeks Czech citizenship again
From our ANI Correspondent

Washington, May 30: Fed up with the policies of the George Bush Administration, former tennis star Martina Navratilova is seeking Czech citizenship again after 26 years.






According to contactmusic.com, Navratilova says that she is "ashamed" of the U.S. and the policies being pursued by the George Bush regime.

Navratilova left the Republic of Czechoslavakia in 1975 because she was ashamed of the then Communist regime. The Prague-born star was given American citizenship in 1981.

"Now, I can be ashamed of what is happening in America. The thing is that we elected Bush. That is worse! Against that, nobody chose a Communist government in Czechoslovakia," Navratilova was quoted, as saying.

Born on October 18, 1956, Navratilova is a former World No. 1 woman tennis player. She won 18 Grand Slam singles titles, 31 Grand Slam womens doubles titles (an all-time record), and 10 Grand Slam mixed doubles titles. She won the women's singles title at Wimbledon a record 9 times.

She is one of just three women to have accomplished a career Grand Slam in singles, women's doubles, and mixed doubles. She holds the open era record for most singles and doubles tournament wins (167 and 177 titles respectively).


Copyright Dailyindia.com/ANI

Rabbit 05-30-2007 06:03 AM

Man, this is a shocker.

Baghdatis72 05-30-2007 06:04 AM

She simply can't stick to a decision for too long.

wyutani 05-30-2007 06:44 AM

maybe she gave up being gay too...i dunno...

Sup2Dresq 05-30-2007 06:48 AM

Makes little sense to make that decision now with a new election coming up. Sounds like there is more behind this than just Bush. If its true.

Oh Martina, stick to improving your Tennis commentating before you begin to speak politics.

sureshs 05-30-2007 06:53 AM

I would not believe this report 100%. It was quoted on tennisnews.com from dailyindia.com, which in turn quotes contactmusic.com. Let us wait some more to see if reliable sources confirm.

malakas 05-30-2007 06:54 AM

somehow seems onion to me.

Nuke 05-30-2007 06:57 AM

If Martina gives up her US citizenship, that will be one less vote in 2008 to get the Republicans out of the White House. In the past, Martina has certainly been one to stand up for what she believes in, but it might be better if she worked WITHIN the system to change things rather than run away. But I guess she's doing this to make a splashy statement.

sureshs 05-30-2007 07:10 AM

Confirmed by Yahoo
 
PRAGUE (AFP) - Czech-born but US passport-carrying tennis legend Martina Navratilova said in a newspaper interview Saturday that she could receive Czech citizenship by the end of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

"By the end of the year I could get it (Czech citizenship)," the 50-year-old told the Czech daily Lidove Noviny. "I do not have it yet. I am not sufficiently organised," she added in an interview in which she harshly criticised the current state of the US under President George W Bush.

Navratilova said she used to be ashamed of the former communist Czechoslovakia, which she quit in 1975 for the US, receiving American citizenship six years later.

"Now, I can be ashamed of what is happening in America," she explained. "The thing is that we elected Bush. That is worse! Against that, nobody chose a communist government in Czechoslovakia."

Navratilova added that the Bush "regime" operates a form of censorship by making sure that analysis and other material that is judged politically unsuitable never becomes public.

"It is not as bad as it was here. But it is true, that censorship exists there," she explained. "I have a sticker on my car which says "regime change begins at home," she added.

sureshs 05-30-2007 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuke (Post 1478539)
If Martina gives up her US citizenship, that will be one less vote in 2008 to get the Republicans out of the White House. In the past, Martina has certainly been one to stand up for what she believes in, but it might be better if she worked WITHIN the system to change things rather than run away. But I guess she's doing this to make a splashy statement.

Agreed. But she might retain dual citizenship if that is permitted between US and Czech Republic.

Nuke 05-30-2007 11:29 AM

Yeah, you're probably right on the dual citizenship. I doubt she wants to move her permanent residence there.

krosero 05-30-2007 01:55 PM

Dual citizenship would not be much of a protest. That would be like just getting an extra citizenship.

vsbabolat 05-30-2007 02:18 PM

Who ever said Democracy was perfect? In the last Mid Term elections the Democrats took back control of the house and the senate. By Jan. 2009 we will have a new President. If Martina does not like who running the Government then she should use her voice and actively supported the candidate of her choice. If her candidate did not win then Martina should continue to support the opposition in the Government. To leave a Democracy because you don't like the current President is absurd. Bush will not be President forever.

Mick 05-30-2007 03:49 PM

she wanted to make the news headlines.

Phil 05-30-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 1478562)
PRAGUE (AFP) - Czech-born but US passport-carrying tennis legend Martina Navratilova said in a newspaper interview Saturday that she could receive Czech citizenship by the end of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

"By the end of the year I could get it (Czech citizenship)," the 50-year-old told the Czech daily Lidove Noviny. "I do not have it yet. I am not sufficiently organised," she added in an interview in which she harshly criticised the current state of the US under President George W Bush.

Navratilova said she used to be ashamed of the former communist Czechoslovakia, which she quit in 1975 for the US, receiving American citizenship six years later.

"Now, I can be ashamed of what is happening in America," she explained. "The thing is that we elected Bush. That is worse! Against that, nobody chose a communist government in Czechoslovakia."

Navratilova added that the Bush "regime" operates a form of censorship by making sure that analysis and other material that is judged politically unsuitable never becomes public.

"It is not as bad as it was here. But it is true, that censorship exists there," she explained. "I have a sticker on my car which says "regime change begins at home," she added.

So I guess, once back in the Czech Rep. for a few years, maybe the government there will not be to her liking, she'll get fed up again, and go somwhere else or return to the US.

You live in a democracy that is temporarily ruled over by maniacs, pathological liars and idiots, you don't RUN AWAY. A real person of principle stays and works to change it-especially one with the celebrity to get her words into print for mass consumption. Her whinning just makes her a small part of the problem.

OrangeOne 05-30-2007 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 1479845)
So I guess, once back in the Czech Rep. for a few years, maybe the government there will not be to her liking, she'll get fed up again, and go somwhere else or return to the US.

You live in a democracy that is temporarily ruled over by maniacs, pathological liars and idiots, you don't RUN AWAY. A real person of principle stays and works to change it-especially one with the celebrity to get her words into print for mass consumption. Her whinning just makes her a small part of the problem.

^^^ Couldn't agree more. People with the ability to enact change should try and do so more than by simply 'voting with their feet'. If America has been good to hear for 30+ years, why not give a little back and help the land that has helped her?

Frank Silbermann 05-30-2007 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 1478562)
Navratilova added that the Bush "regime" operates a form of censorship by making sure that analysis and other material that is judged politically unsuitable never becomes public.

Oh, if only there were some new medium, not intensively controlled by the government, upon which individuals could post documents for widespread distribution! Maybe we could ask Al Gore to try and come up with something.


Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 1478562)
"But it is true, that censorship exists there," she explained. "I have a sticker on my car which says "regime change begins at home," she added.

My God! I am _outraged_ that the government censors made her do that.

ktownva 05-30-2007 07:39 PM

I think she is just showing off her right to free speech and making a point about Bush. I don't think she intends to go back to the Czech Rep.

alwaysatnet 06-01-2007 07:02 PM

Navratilova sounds like all the childish people that threatened to leave the country if Bush got reelected. He did. They didn't. Life goes on.
Maybe she was just blowing off steam but her remarks sound like the remarks of a spoiled childish egomaniac. It's disappointing,really.
If America was worth moving to once upon a time maybe it's still worth fighting for. Bush won't be president forever.
Whatever happened to fighting for what you believe in?
I can't say she'll be particualrly missed, should she go, but all the same, her sort of "I'll take my ball and play somewhere else" attitude seems out of place for someone her age who has gotten so much out of this country.

FiveO 06-01-2007 07:06 PM

Great tennis player but she can take Rosie O'Donnell with her.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse