Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Laver using a Babolat! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=137260)

sureshs 06-06-2007 12:16 PM

Laver using a Babolat!

Photograph of Laver in the current issue of Tennis mag (in an article where he discusses drills) shows him with a Babolat!

Considering how some posters here mock Babolat and revere old player's racquets that no pro uses, it is enlightening to see how truly great players don't have such prejudices.

RMB 06-06-2007 01:02 PM

I do not mind that by his age he plays with a Big Bubba.

gonzo2000 06-06-2007 01:03 PM

Excellent point! Babolats are effective weapons in the right hands. I have played against a D1 college player who can hit killer shots wit a PD. The pros, needless to say, can certainly bring out the full potential of Babolat frmaes.

hoosierbr 06-06-2007 03:18 PM

Not really a big surprise. Tony Roche seems to be using the Pro Surge, the Wilson stick the Bryans endorsed a couple of years back.

Kevin Curren has been playing the Legends Doubles at Wimbledon with a Babolat the last couple of years.

Voltron 06-06-2007 03:28 PM

It's obviously a PJ of a PS 85. ;););)

Mr. Sean 06-06-2007 10:14 PM

He has switched to the dark side. He's emperor palpatine and federer is vader.

Deuce 06-08-2007 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 1497408)
Photograph of Laver in the current issue of Tennis mag (in an article where he discusses drills) shows him with a Babolat!

Considering how some posters here mock Babolat and revere old player's racquets that no pro uses, it is enlightening to see how truly great players don't have such prejudices.

Perhaps he's using a Babolat in the photo because he has chosen that as his main racquet.

However, it's more likely that he's using a Babolat in the photo because Babolat paid him a significant amount of money to do so, in the hopes that it would fool some people into believing that there isn't much difference between classic racquets and Babolats, and that if legends like Laver can make the switch, anyone can.

forzainter 06-08-2007 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce (Post 1501370)
Perhaps he's using a Babolat in the photo because he has chosen that as his main racquet.

However, it's more likely that he's using a Babolat in the photo because Babolat paid him a significant amount of money to do so, in the hopes that it would fool some people into believing that there isn't much difference between classic racquets and Babolats, and that if legends like Laver can make the switch, anyone can.

maybe he doesnt need the money and just wants to use babolat because he likes it

Muffin Man 06-08-2007 03:54 AM

he does use a babolat. he played in a pro-am out here a couple of years ago. our head pro has a pic of all the pros and laver is holding a babolat. i think it is a custom made 65 sq. inch one with wood fibers built into the woofer.

ktownva 06-08-2007 04:40 AM

Which model was it? I think Babs are great looking frames, although I don't play my best with them.

vkartikv 06-08-2007 05:03 AM

That's it! I am switching to a PD! Count me in among the millions of unsuspecting public that buys the marketing gimmicks!!:roll:

ktownva 06-08-2007 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkartikv (Post 1501696)
That's it! I am switching to a PD! Count me in among the millions of unsuspecting public that buys the marketing gimmicks!!:roll:

There should be warning label on the PD: < CAUTION: Full swings may result in loss of ball over fence. Do attempt to hit opponent's ball before it bounces, serious malfunction may occur. For best results, string with chicken wire at 85lbs. >

christo 06-08-2007 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktownva (Post 1501815)
There should be warning label on the PD: < CAUTION: Full swings may result in loss of ball over fence. Do attempt to hit opponent's ball before it bounces, serious malfunction may occur. For best results, string with chicken wire at 85lbs. >

Good one! Laver's frame is just a paint job over a Pro Kennex. Wait a second, the PD WAS a PK frame called the Destiny. Ranks right up there with Xerox giving all their good stuff to Steve Jobs.

caesar66 06-08-2007 07:09 AM

people can mock babolat all they want, but the winner of the NCAA singles championship uses a pure drive, and i'm sure he could destroy 99.9% of the posters on this board.

sureshs 06-08-2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

I don't think Babs is going to pay a significant amount of money to a player whom today's juniors barely know. In any case, the racquet was dangling from his hand on the side and you had to strain to see that it was a Babs.

Voltron 06-08-2007 07:58 AM

couch 06-08-2007 08:12 AM

Quote:

Duece, you're such a cynic. :) You think the youth of today would be so easily influenced just by a picture of Rod Laver holding a PD?

I would bet he, in fact, uses the PD. I remember seeing him playing at the Hall of Fame a few years ago with or against McEnroe in an exhibition doubles match using the PD.

sureshs 06-08-2007 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkartikv (Post 1501696)

Hey Kartik long time no see

sureshs 06-08-2007 08:43 AM

I don't think it was a PD. It had black stripes and looks like a zebra. I forget which model that is.

Geezer Guy 06-08-2007 12:13 PM

For what it's worth - probably not much - the Pro's at Newk's all hit with Babolat's.
Maybe there's a special Aussie/Babolat connection.