Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Pain between thumb and index finger (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=137386)

three eights 06-07-2007 05:23 AM

Pain between thumb and index finger

I'm fairly new to tennis (few months now) and been playing quite a bit in the past couple of weeks. Lately i've noticed that during and after games (and sometimes hours after) i have a lot of pain in the muscle tissue between my index finger and thumb of my hitting hand. Doe anyone know why this is happening? will it go away? am i doing anything wrong?

also.... my knees have been going thorough rough times and sometimes its hard to sit up/down.

krprunitennis2 06-07-2007 05:33 AM

Shoes. Are you using tennis shoes or running shoes? The first months I've played tennis, I thought that shoes don't matter that much. Until I felt pain in my knees when I was going up the stairs in my school. I don't know anything about your thumb/index thingy.

RedWeb 06-07-2007 05:58 AM

If the pain is at the base of your thumb it could be cartilage issues, as in its wearing out. If it is between the base of thumb and index finger might be small tendon strain. If your hold your hand still and flex your thumb back and forth and there is pain then its probably the first. Might be a little arthritis in that area.

three eights 06-07-2007 06:28 AM

I use my running shoes, Asics GT2110. Is that bad? I thought it might be the shoes cause i run with no knee problems. I'm 26 btw.

Regarding my main concern. The pain is between the base thumb and index. I almost think it's because i get hit hard with lots of top spin where the racquet pushes back into that part of the hand. Does it make sense?

TheHuntor 06-23-2007 11:31 AM

i know what you mean...

I recently got the same pain and it's most noticeable on serves and forehands, and I hit with a good amount of topspin. Can't be arthritis, cause I'm 19 and not 50 :) So any ideas anyone?

TennsDog 07-02-2007 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHuntor (Post 1538136)
I recently got the same pain and it's most noticeable on serves and forehands, and I hit with a good amount of topspin. Can't be arthritis, cause I'm 19 and not 50 :) So any ideas anyone?

While it is probably less likely than something else, it certainly is not impossible for a young person to get arthritis. You don't have to be old or physically abusive to your body to get it.

lawrence 07-02-2007 07:38 AM

i got that the first few times i played tennis
its probably from the pistol-like grip you hold your racquet with, your index knuckle takes all the force when you swing
if thats not it try a better fitting gripsize (yours might be too big?)

bharpiy 04-17-2011 08:13 PM

three_eights: did you ever fix the pain between your index finger/thumb? i'm having the same sharp pain on an on/off basis.

lawrence - i think you're right about the pistol like grip.. that's how i hold my racquet. how do i get around this issue? my gripsize is not too big.

byealmeens 12-30-2012 12:04 PM

Anyone have an explanation for this? I've felt this as well ... off and on. It's a pain at the base of the thumb, but in the fleshy part BETWEEN the thumb and the forefinger - not in the thumb joint itself. This seems very similar to what the others are experiencing.

EclipseRydr97 12-31-2012 05:20 PM

i had a similar problem, if you check out my thread on this. i first felt it doing a pushup. and then when i tried to play tennis i would notice it on a forehand only. and once when i goofed around with a frying pan serve.

i only had X rays done, no MRI, X rays found nothing. doctor thought it was a torn ligament, he suggested resting 3-6 months. i rested 4 months and i've been back on the courts twice with no pain in the hand at all.

byealmeens 01-11-2013 11:48 AM

I heard this was some type tendinitis ... not a torn tendon necessarily. Anyone else hear of this pain - between the thumb and forefinger - one that comes and goes? Maybe some of the previous posts can comment ...

dlam 01-11-2013 08:49 PM

That s an important muscle for me.
Its the "hegu" and i had acupuncture done to ease tension
I feel it's Strength when I hold the racket with my left hand otherwise I'm mostly a right hand racket player

saqdeez 09-10-2013 08:06 AM

I have had this problem for a few years and mri/xray show nothing! it hurts everyday now and im not even playing tennis anymore. Any update byealmeens?

saqdeez 09-13-2013 06:19 PM

mri says i have tendonitis in fpl tendon, which goes from wrist up thru thumb. hand doc gave me a painful cortisone shot. praying this wipes out the inflammation for good