Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Agassi as an MLB slugger? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=137723)

teedub 06-09-2007 12:20 AM

Agassi as an MLB slugger?

How do you guys think Andre would have done as an MLB slugger? Personally I think he'd be way up there in the all-time count if he played MLB his whole life. Just a thought though. Your thoughts?

sloe_torture 06-09-2007 12:40 AM

Andre would have been a well-coordinated 5'10" slap hitter like Ichiro. I'm sure both have the power or mechanics (at least, Ichiro) to hit the long ball but they're more effective as hitters that bat for average.

Deuce 06-09-2007 12:43 AM

What on Earth would provoke such a bizarre thought?

Agassi would not have been a good ball player. His lack of volleying ability betrays this.
And, I don't know why, but something tells me that he'd throw like a girl.

I think he would have been a hell of a bowler, though.

forzainter 06-09-2007 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloe_torture (Post 1504147)
Andre would have been a well-coordinated 5'10" slap hitter like Ichiro. I'm sure both have the power or mechanics (at least, Ichiro) to hit the long ball but they're more effective as hitters that bat for average.

he wouldnt have been as fast though

teedub 06-09-2007 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce (Post 1504150)
What on Earth would provoke such a bizarre thought?

Agassi would not have been a good ball player. His lack of volleying ability betrays this.
And, I don't know why, but something tells me that he'd throw like a girl.

I think he would have been a hell of a bowler, though.

I don't know. I honestly do not know enough about the physical requirements a hitter should have. But I imagine that his extremely good eye sight, ungodly hand-eye and the fact that he's able to bench 300+ would point towards a pretty good ability to hit the ball out of the park. I understand MLB pitches are insanely fast and have some major spin, depending on the type of pitch, but I would imagine Agassi's superb hand-eye and eyesight to make up for it.

I don't see how his volleying ability comes into play here - reflexes? Andre may not be a great volleyer but I'm not sure that means it's because his reflexes are poor, considering if you serve a huge 130+ serve into his strike zone he's going to get it back pretty cleanly. In MLB that's what they do, they don't have the luxury of going to your left or right and taking advantage of Andre's shorter wingspan, they have to throw it within that box or try to curve it such that it seems like it will make it through the strike zone and force swing + miss. I imagine what is necessary to defeat a good pitch(er) is an ungodly eyesight and hand-eye coordination which I would say Andre has.

Again I'm not sure, thats why I'm asking others for their input, like I said, I'm not a big baseball fan, but those are my observations from watching some ball games.

And btw, let's try to limit it to JUST his ability to slug, rather than play in the outfield or as a baseman. Also, I imagine that being shorter, 5'11, would make his strike zone a bit smaller, bit more difficult to strike him out?

thoughts appreciated.

J011yroger 06-09-2007 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forzainter (Post 1504187)
he wouldnt have been as fast though

Nobody is as fast as Ichiro.

I thought about this a lot, I figured Agassi for a good fielding 2B, who could hit for average and a bit of power (15-20HR).

J

teedub 06-09-2007 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 1504228)
Nobody is as fast as Ichiro.

I thought about this a lot, I figured Agassi for a good fielding 2B, who could hit for average and a bit of power (15-20HR).

J

This specific question? Or how tennis players in general would do in a sport like baseball?

J011yroger 06-09-2007 03:52 AM

This specific question, a friend of mine, former tour player, and current head pro was telling me how so few tennis players come out of the northeast.

And my reply was that this was baseball country, so any naturally talented athlete would play baseball because that is what is popular here. Then I used Agassi as an example of a tennis player who would do very well in baseball.

I mean look at most of your superstars. A-Rod was an star forward, a star quarterback, and a star shortstop, he just picked baseball.

Tons of current European tennis players are/were phenominal soccer players.

J

J011yroger 06-09-2007 03:54 AM

As far as your slugging theory, I don't see Agassi having great power numbers, I see him as more of a gap hitter. He just doesn't have the long arms or size.

J

Volly master 06-09-2007 03:58 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMsHTsEHnWE

enough said.

J011yroger 06-09-2007 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volly master (Post 1504260)

Swine Red Sox.

J

AAAA 06-09-2007 04:35 AM

Quote:

what tv commercial is that for?

forzainter 06-09-2007 08:10 AM

its for nike

armand 06-09-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

LOL awesome, I've never seen that before.

AAAA 06-09-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forzainter (Post 1504638)
its for nike

thanks

joeyscl 06-09-2007 09:48 AM

2 reasons why AA cant be a Baseball player:

1) He'll be waiting for the ball to bounce before hes gonna hit it
2) He's gonna be trying to hit it with his single-handed forhand

J011yroger 06-09-2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyscl (Post 1504771)

1) Last I checked he had a pretty stout swing volley.
2) Not if he bats lefty.

J

herosol 06-09-2007 10:35 AM

hmm i once read this about agassi i think on wikipedia that he went into batting cages and ran at the feeder to hit the ball that was going at like 95 mph+.

iono if thats real. but thats insane.

Deuce 06-09-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedub (Post 1504234)
This specific question? Or how tennis players in general would do in a sport like baseball?

I don't know... but I played tennis with a couple of major league baseball players, and they were embarrassingly terrible tennis players.

Breakaz54z 06-09-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyscl (Post 1504771)

lol that'd be funny if someone tried to set up for a one handed forehand.