Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Record for consecutive points won on serve (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=138638)

krosero 06-13-2007 11:25 AM

Record for consecutive points won on serve

Does anyone know what this record is?

These are some that I know about:

21 by Lendl in a 1987 U.S. Open quarterfinal against McEnroe
20 by Cash in the 1987 Wimbledon final against Lendl
19 by Borg in the fifth set of the 1980 Wimbledon final against McEnroe
19 by Borg in the fifth set of a 1980 U.S. Open quarterfinal against Tanner
16 by McEnroe to open the 1985 U.S. Open final against Lendl
15 by McEnroe in a 1983 Wimbledon semifinal against Lendl
15 by Cash to open a 1987 Wimbledon semifinal against Connors
15 by Cash to close the 1987 Wimbledon final against Lendl
15 by Wilander in the 1988 Australian Open final against Cash

ivo#1fan 06-13-2007 11:56 AM

Not sure about what his longest string is but Karlovic must have some pretty impressive consecutive point won on serve since he leads the tour with highest % of 1st serve points won along with being ranked among the top in 1st serve percent. I have heard that twice he won consecutive games with 4 aces in a row. In other words, twice served 8 aces in a row. If I recall correctly one of the times was against the German Bjorn Phau (in a match which Ivo pulled out 12-10 in a 3rd set t-breaker of course).

Moose Malloy 06-13-2007 12:55 PM

Cash was amazing in '87.

The list is interesting, none of the big servers of the 90s are on it. Maybe because they didn't have as big a serve as Goran, Sampras etc they concentrated more on every point on serve in the 80s? while those other guys would be very casual sometimes, knowing they could just blow guys away down 0-30.

I think Rusedski came close to a golden set a few years ago, so he may have had 15 straight points or so on serve.

FiveO 06-13-2007 01:01 PM

....deleted....

vive le beau jeu ! 06-13-2007 01:31 PM

i'm not sure but i think ivanisevic didn't lose any point on his serve during the 2nd set of his SF against sampras at wimbledon 1995.
he won that set 64 so that would give at least 20 straight points on serve.
unfortunately for him, he lost that match despite winning 10 points more than sampras...

Moose Malloy 06-13-2007 01:38 PM

Yeah I think Goran also may have had a long serving streak vs Becker at Wimbledon('90 or '94)

krosero 06-13-2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Malloy (Post 1516322)
The list is interesting, none of the big servers of the 90s are on it. Maybe because they didn't have as big a serve as Goran, Sampras etc they concentrated more on every point on serve in the 80s? while those other guys would be very casual sometimes, knowing they could just blow guys away down 0-30.

Actually I just didn't follow tennis too closely in the 90s. I read about the big matches in the newspapers, though, and I still noticed when records were broken.

krosero 06-13-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Malloy (Post 1516322)
I think Rusedski came close to a golden set a few years ago, so he may have had 15 straight points or so on serve.

Speaking of golden sets, that means that Scanlon took at least 12 straight points on serve, plus at least the final point of the first set (he won the match 6-2,6-0).

ETA: unless of course Scanlon was broken near the end of the first set and won the set by breaking his opponent; then it would be just 12 straight.

Mikael 06-13-2007 01:51 PM

I'm almost positive Greg Rusedski won more than 20 in a row during his match against Thomas Enqvist at Indian Wells in 1998, it was crazy. He won two love games at the end of the first set, so that's 8, and then the second went to the tiebreak and Rusedski must've won at least his first 4 or 5 service games to love, so that's 16 or 20, totaling 24 or 28...

Vision84 06-13-2007 01:51 PM

Can't remember the name but sometime in the early 80s a guy won a match at Wimbledon without losing a point.

Moose Malloy 06-13-2007 01:53 PM

here is that link on rusedski, it doesn't say how many consecutive pts on serve though:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...2/ericsson_ap/

he was up 5-0 before losing a point

Moose Malloy 06-13-2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

I'm almost positive Greg Rusedski won more than 20 in a row during his match against Thomas Enqvist at Indian Wells in 1998, it was crazy. He won two love games at the end of the first set, so that's 8, and then the second went to the tiebreak and Rusedski must've won at least his first 4 or 5 service games to love, so that's 16 or 20, totaling 24 or 28...
here is his post match interview from that:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=18160

not really conclusive:

"Advanced to tomorrow's semifinal and will play either Thomas Muster or Andrei Medvedev. In today's match, in the first game of the second set, 40-Love, Greg hit a record-breaking serve of 146 miles an hour, the fastest-recorded serve by an ATP Tour device at a tour event. He also had won 34 of 36 first serve points and had 21 aces. He's in his first career Mercedes Super 9 final."

krosero 06-13-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Malloy (Post 1516460)
here is that link on rusedski, it doesn't say how many consecutive pts on serve though:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...2/ericsson_ap/

he was up 5-0 before losing a point

So Rusedski won 25 straight points, which is one more than you get in a golden set. Scanlon had to have won at least 25.

I know that Wilander won 23 straight points when he defeated McEnroe at the 1983 French. But that topic deserves another thread.

Rusedski served three times during his streak, which began and ended on Massu's serve. So Rusedski had at least 12 straight points on serve.

Sean Dugan 06-13-2007 03:53 PM

Sampras v Rafter at Compaq Grand Slam Cup in 1997? I believe Pete won about 25 points in a row on serve.

krosero 06-13-2007 07:41 PM

One thing I've noticed about the matches I listed and some that have been suggested, like Rusedski-Envist and Ivanisevic-Sampras, is that very few of the streaks are in a fourth or fifth set. Borg's were both in the fifth, and Wilander's was spread out between the fourth and fifth.

That suggests that these service streaks could be as much about endurance as the serve. What do they say, that the serve is the first to go when you get tired?

And Wilander did not even have a big serve, so you could have a significant streak without even serving big (his service percentage for that match was in the 80s).

Mikael 06-14-2007 10:17 AM

I'm going back to my old house this weekend where I got my old tennis tapes, and will definitely check the Rusedski-Enqvist match in 98. Now I want to see if it really was over 25 points or not.

krosero 06-14-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikael (Post 1518456)
I'm going back to my old house this weekend where I got my old tennis tapes, and will definitely check the Rusedski-Enqvist match in 98. Now I want to see if it really was over 25 points or not.

I look forward to that, I'm going to try and research or watch some of these matches too.

krosero 06-14-2007 06:39 PM

The one to beat

From http://www.iht.com/bin/print_ipub.ph...7/08/ten.t.php

Quote:

Becker Stuns Agassi, Setting Up a Final Showdown With Sampras
By Ian Thomsen International Herald Tribune

Saturday, July 8, 1995

[snip]

On Sunday, in his seventh Wimbledon final, No. 3 Becker will meet No. 2 Pete Sampras, the two-time defending champion and four years his junior, which amounts to a generation in tennis. In a rematch of last year's final, Sampras beat No. 4 Goran Ivanisevic of Croatia, 7-6 (9-7), 4-6, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.

[snip]

Their match had exhibited all of the magic and drama that the preceding semifinal had lacked. Sampras's victory went on for 2 hours, 33 minutes at a Morse Code pace, only to be resolved anticlimactically and appropriately by a pair of opening games on Ivanisevic's serve.

The tone was established by a first-set tiebreaker that Sampras won like a stubborn arm-wrestler over 49 interminable minutes. Ivanisevic then won a throttling 26 consecutive points on serve, sprinkled with some of his 38 aces, to dominate the second set. The Croatian would win the fourth set similarly, if not quite as impressively; but much more revealing was his response to such success each time turning and losing serve to start the ensuing set. He began the third set with a pair of double faults (he served eight overall).

[snip]
But there's something I don't understand about this. He had 20 straight points on serve in the second set. He doubled in his next service game. That doesn't get us to 26. Were the missing points in the first-set tiebreak? How can that be, if he lost the tiebreak?

vive le beau jeu ! 06-15-2007 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vive le beau jeu ! (Post 1516397)
i'm not sure but i think ivanisevic didn't lose any point on his serve during the 2nd set of his SF against sampras at wimbledon 1995.
he won that set 64 so that would give at least 20 straight points on serve.
unfortunately for him, he lost that match despite winning 10 points more than sampras...

Quote:

Originally Posted by krosero (Post 1519410)
From http://www.iht.com/bin/print_ipub.ph...7/08/ten.t.php

But there's something I don't understand about this. He had 20 straight points on serve in the second set. He doubled in his next service game. That doesn't get us to 26. Were the missing points in the first-set tiebreak? How can that be, if he lost the tiebreak?

glad to see i may have suspected the right match... but you're right : there is something wrong with the count of aces if he really started the 3rd set with a pair of double-faults ! :p

Moose Malloy 06-15-2007 08:19 AM

here's another one:

September 10, 2004

Fghting power with power, Joachim Johansson ended Andy Roddick's bid to repeat as United States Open champion last night. Ousting the defending champion and the last American in the men's draw, Johansson outlasted Roddick, 6-4, 6-4, 3-6, 2-6, 6-4, at Arthur Ashe Stadium, moving into a semifinal match tomorrow against Lleyton Hewitt.

During one stretch that began during the third set and spilled into the fourth, Roddick won 29 consecutive points on his serve.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/10/sp...vwHT4ttCoZRhCg

here are the match stats(by set as well)

http://web.archive.org/web/200409231...7/1504ss2.html

Roddick won 20 of 20 service pts in the 3rd, & in the 4th won 16 out of 18.