Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Grommetless pieces of trash???? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=1396)

Jerry Seinfeld 03-15-2004 10:18 AM

Grommetless pieces of trash????

Hey all!

Evidence is mounting to cause me to believe that the Prince More Series is nothing but trouble with a capital "T". Anyone else feel this way?

I have new customer who came to me with a Prince More Response mid. He complained that the Gamma string he was using busted after a few sets of play. I examined it and it was a main string that sheared at the frame.

I went with a Poly/Syn Gut hybrid, figuring since he had once used Kevlar and was satisfied that this might be the answer. I used Poly Polar 16 mains and LF syn gut 17 crosses. He hit with it for one session and decided the strings were too dead. I am unable to figure out how this conclusion arose given that Kevlar is much less lively than Poly, but that's another topic for another day.

My next attempts were with LF Phenom 16, which has proven super durable for many of my customers, thought I would put it to the test. Boing! It sheared a cross string after about 15 minutes. I replaced it using power pads on the crosses to reduce the angle. Boing!! it sheared a main during warm ups.

I've suggested than my customer hit the ball in the center of the racquet, but since that doesn't always happen I am seeking another answer. :wink:

What suggestions do you have? I am leaning toward a Luxilon main with a textured cross for extra bite. Am hoping the Luxilon will feel livlier than the Poly Polar.

Also do any of you have any experience with these blasted More series frames shearing strings? I have had this battle with another customer as well. Is it just my customers or have others had this same problem?

Thanks!

John

Tom Rohrbacher 03-15-2004 01:16 PM

More Response

The More Responses are out of the line now. They were the first generation of the More line. Prince is in the 3rd or 4th generation now and with each addition the gromet holes have been rounded open on the outside and inside of the frame (eg. NRG Graphite). I have logged at least 140 hours on my NRG Graphite with no breakage by the frame.
With at least 25-30 hours on my More Precision I've had no breakage either. Gotta hit it in the middle with these frames.
Don't give up on the More technology. It works! Just try a newer frame.

FaSteStSeRvE1613 03-15-2004 03:21 PM

i agree, but just wait until u have to string a NEW more control. At least if they have been strung before the holes are a little bigger, but when the racquets are new, they are so hard to string.

Gaines Hillix 03-15-2004 06:34 PM

Tom is correct. But, you might want to try finding some fine grit sanding string or emory string. I think jewelry supply houses may have it. You can use this to lightly sand the inside of the string holes, especially at the shoulders where the hole meets the inside and outside of the frame.

Robert Jones 03-17-2004 01:12 PM

I have the original More Precision 95 and have only broken one set of strings in like 15 sets. Maybe I don't frame as many as others.

I have been searching for a lighter racquet for net play but I have come up empty. Non of them have the feel or control of the More frame. The diablo comes close.

louis netman 03-18-2004 10:04 AM

QC

prince should have known better than to design and produce a frame with high quality-contol needs (precisely ground grommets)in their mainland china factory....