Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Who thinks Fed would play better with a 95" racquet? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=143159)

Mickey Finn 05-18-2007 02:11 AM

Who thinks Fed would play better with a 95" racquet?

In this week's mailbag, Sports Illustrated writer Jon Wertheim speculates that Federer's recent troubles may be related to a switch to a smaller racquet head at the beginning of the year. Jon Wertheim has a lot of inside knowledge. Anyone know if Federer switched to a smaller-headed racquet?

austro 05-18-2007 02:51 AM

I thought if anything he went larger...?

Mickey Finn 05-18-2007 02:59 AM

I have am not a good judge of frame sizes myself. I am only repeating what I read. Jon Wertheim usually has inside information; this is why I mentioned this. If it is true, it would be very relevant regarding Roland Garros and Fed's chances.

NoBadMojo 05-18-2007 06:28 AM

Here is the article in its entirety --> http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...bag/index.html

And here is the content --->

Federer's slide does, however, coincide with a switch to a new, smaller-headed racket he began using at the start of the year. You'd think if he were going to reassess anything, it might be the new sticks

austro 05-18-2007 06:35 AM

But he didn't slide since the beginning of the year - remember the AO?

vsbabolat 05-18-2007 06:38 AM

Federer's "old" racquet and "new" racquet are the same head size. If Federer really did go from the N6-1 Tour 90 to the K6-1 Tour 90 the only change was in the layup.

Craig Sheppard 05-18-2007 06:40 AM

What does Jon Wertheim know? He's just a reporter for SI... I have no idea where he's getting this stuff from. Just a few weeks ago, Gary Thorne (reporter/commentator) was "certain" that the Boston Red Sox's Curt Schilling painted his sock was in the World Series, and it was not bloodied... turns out he was flat wrong. Unless this guy says how he knows that, it's useless information.

NoBadMojo 05-18-2007 07:10 AM

In any case, i found it pretty funny that Wilson hypes this new racquet claiming that Federer helped to design <a racquet which nobody else on tour uses>, and then Fed immediately goes in the dumper (by his standards)...Wilson couldnt have been too happy about that.

KoreanHB 05-18-2007 07:17 AM

From what I see. Fed did change his racquet to a smaller head. If you look at pictures of his ncode PJ and Kfactor PJ, the sizes seem different. I dunno maybe it's just me.

vsbabolat 05-18-2007 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBadMojo (Post 1452486)
In any case, i found it pretty funny that Wilson hypes this new racquet claiming that Federer helped to design <a racquet which nobody else on tour uses>, and then Fed immediately goes in the dumper (by his standards)...Wilson couldnt have been too happy about that.

There is one other player that I can think of that uses the K6-1 Tour 90. It is Julia Vakuleno on the WTA Tour from the Ukraine.

SFrazeur 05-18-2007 07:21 AM

Reporters report what they are told, and what they see. If the sources are wrong then so are the reports.

sureshs 05-18-2007 08:10 AM

I have fired off a question to him now. We shall see next Wed what he says.

sureshs 05-18-2007 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBadMojo (Post 1452486)

Federer helped design the Kompact Center in particular. That is used in several models other than the K90. So, it is not like he designed the K90 in particular.

K Factor racquets also contain other groundbreaking technologies like Kan'tFight Back err Karophite Black, Konnector wings in the K1 model meant for people over 90 who plan to enter the tour (not that there is anything wrong with that) and Komfort Bloke err Yoke.

Azzurri 05-18-2007 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoreanHB (Post 1452503)
From what I see. Fed did change his racquet to a smaller head. If you look at pictures of his ncode PJ and Kfactor PJ, there is a big difference, clearly.

I think the SI writer meant he changed racquets (not from a large headed to smaller), but just a change and he described the racquet as a smaller headed type. You can't possible tell by pictures.;)

Craig Sheppard 05-18-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 1452681)
Federer helped design the Kompact Center in particular. That is used in several models other than the K90. So, it is not like he designed the K90 in particular.

K Factor racquets also contain other groundbreaking technologies like Kan'tFight Back err Karophite Black, Konnector wings in the K1 model meant for people over 90 who plan to enter the tour (not that there is anything wrong with that) and Komfort Bloke err Yoke.

Where'd you get this little nugget of information? Federer moonlights as a racquet designer, and for a racquet he doesn't even use? Sounds like more Wilson sales rep bs to me.

Rabbit 05-18-2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slappano (Post 1452714)
I think the SI writer meant he changed racquets (not from a large headed to smaller), but just a change and he described the racquet as a smaller headed type. You can't possible tell by pictures.;)

I agree completely here. I think he was saying that Federer changed rackets at the beginning of the year and the smaller was just description. Smaller than he had previously or smaller in general? I think he meant the latter.

Rabbit 05-18-2007 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Sheppard (Post 1452859)
Where'd you get this little nugget of information? Federer moonlights as a racquet designer, and for a racquet he doesn't even use? Sounds like more Wilson sales rep bs to me.

I think Wilson is referring to Federer "helping" by giving him the frame and asking if he liked it. Think back, Connors "helped" design the ProStaff, Kramer "helped" design the Auto. I'm sure they get feedback from the pros, but "helped" in the design may just be a synonym for "approved" the final product and recommended some tweaking; "too stiff", "string pattern too tight", etc.

Azzurri 05-18-2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 1452870)
I agree completely here. I think he was saying that Federer changed rackets at the beginning of the year and the smaller was just description. Smaller than he had previously or smaller in general? I think he meant the latter.

I read the article again and it is just the way he worded it. :)

Azzurri 05-18-2007 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 1452873)
I think Wilson is referring to Federer "helping" by giving him the frame and asking if he liked it. Think back, Connors "helped" design the ProStaff, Kramer "helped" design the Auto. I'm sure they get feedback from the pros, but "helped" in the design may just be a synonym for "approved" the final product and recommended some tweaking; "too stiff", "string pattern too tight", etc.

Exactly...the commercials make it seem as if he made the racquet himself...molded it and whatever else they do. They asked him what he likes and he told them. I still think its the same racquet he has been using since 2003.

BreakPoint 05-18-2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoreanHB (Post 1452503)
From what I see. Fed did change his racquet to a smaller head. If you look at pictures of his ncode PJ and Kfactor PJ, there is a big difference, clearly.

Are you sure you're not just imagining things? His K90 still sure looks like a 90 sq. in. to me, just like his nCode 90 did. I think that's because its the same racquet under the paintjob.