Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Learning to build points (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=1450)

orange223 03-16-2004 06:44 AM

Learning to build points

I am interested in some recommendations of books, videos or even web links that teach how to build points or singles strategy. I've seen a few here on TW, and several on doubles strategy, but are there any "must haves" that teach singles strategy and/or how to build points? Thanks in advance.

tennisozzy_new 03-16-2004 07:52 AM

If you're new to tennis, or intermediate, you don't need books or websites to help you construct points. The pros usually have a only a handful that they lean on. Agassi hits his serve wide and then a groundstroke to the other side or behind the player coming back to the middle. Hewitt tries to get his opponent to the net and pass or lob.

Some basics on constructing points:
- use your best shot at your opponent's weakness
- rally crosscourt, attack down the line
- attack the backhand, it's usually the other guy's worst shot
- when on the defensive, hit crosscourt
- wait for your chance and then go for a winner

Bungalo Bill 03-16-2004 07:57 AM

I would suggest Scott Williams "Serious Tennis". This is a very good book that provides you with a complete tennis system to use for the rest of your life - with or without a coach.

orange223 03-17-2004 09:01 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm a 3.5 all courter. I'll snag that book, BB, as well as Allen Fox's - "Think to Win", both here at TW.

Thanks again.

polakosaur 03-17-2004 09:50 AM

tape some matches of pro's playing and see what one guy is doing to the other, watch a particular point a few times, and try to find what they are doing to each other

PhatAbbott 03-17-2004 01:57 PM

Dont watch Gonzales :-) choose sombody with a style similar to your own.

Unless you are gonzales :-) Then dont ever change, your too fun to watch.

Cypo 03-23-2004 04:22 AM

This ia a topic which is generally not well received on the board. It's one I struggle with as well. I can't offer you tried and true ideas, but this is what I'm trying.

It came about because of a practice match on Sunday for the club championships this summer. I eeked out a tie-break win in the first set playing the way I mostly do which is "oh, here's the ball, she's there, I'll hit it it the other way" IOW, no real plan, just reacting to the situation of the moment. On the change over, I decided I really didn't like her forehand, so I would hit everything to her backhand. I made 50% fewer unforced errors, her backhand fell apart and I won 6-2. Sooo.... I sat down and thought about how I've made points in the past, what I do well, etc. and came up with the following list:

My basic style of playing is aggressive baseliner with the intention of coming to the net (i.e. I don't try for winners from the baseline, but to force short balls)

1) play every shot to one side (and then surprise them by playing to the other)

2) Run them side to side

3) one long, one short (lob or pass)

Then I thought about the serves and serve returns which I can hit which would be best for each option.

So the next match I play (Saturday, the indoor masters (!)), I'm going to pick one and see how it goes. At the least I expect that my unforced errors will be minimized.