Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Thinking about going to the dark side (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=150633)

garbage 08-14-2007 03:00 AM

Thinking about going to the dark side

Been playing for about 20 years, and I've never really sorted out my one handed backhand drive/topspin. There's a lack of consistency there and I usually end up hitting skidding slices unless the opponent has the net covered. Now I'm thinking of trying a two hander. What's there to know with this stroke? Which hand should be the dominant one (for a right hander)? I played a bit of shadow tennis in the lounge, and it felt a little more natural hitting the stroke like a left handed forehand with the right hand acting more as support.

OrangeOne 08-14-2007 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garbage (Post 1664294)
Been playing for about 20 years, and I've never really sorted out my one handed backhand drive/topspin. There's a lack of consistency there and I usually end up hitting skidding slices unless the opponent has the net covered. Now I'm thinking of trying a two hander. What's there to know with this stroke? Which hand should be the dominant one (for a right hander)? I played a bit of shadow tennis in the lounge, and it felt a little more natural hitting the stroke like a left handed forehand with the right hand acting more as support.

Mate, I'm in exactly the same situation.

Read this thread for the answers to many of your questions, and hell, post in there and join the journey:

Building a two-handed backhand from scratch (in 6 months)

ionutzakis 08-14-2007 03:12 AM

Oh man, if you go the 2HBH route you'll never be satisfied ever again in your life with your backhand I'll tell you that. I know, I play a 2HBH and the tinkering never ends. One think, you can forget ripping DTL backhands.

Mick 08-14-2007 03:15 AM

a two handed backhand is not for me so I learned to run around the backhand to hit a forehand.

Venetian 08-14-2007 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionutzakis (Post 1664305)
Oh man, if you go the 2HBH route you'll never be satisfied ever again in your life with your backhand I'll tell you that. I know, I play a 2HBH and the tinkering never ends. One think, you can forget ripping DTL backhands.

I'm pretty good at ripping DTL backhands actually. Maybe you need to work more on your two-hander.

Gee Willikers Batman! 08-14-2007 05:46 AM

2HBH The Dark-Side?

Fscking Jerk...

And to the guy who said you can't rip 2HBH DTL shots, maybe it's not the shot itself, it's just you who can't do it. ;)

nasastevo 08-14-2007 05:52 AM

Footwork

If you're going to change after 20 years, you might as well know that you're going to have to move A LOT more. You guys are full of BS when it comes to the DTL backhands. I know quite a few people that prefer to hit DTL with their 2HBH. Go get a ball machine, a few lessons, or a buddy that will hit balls to you. You'll be fine as long as you PRACTICE! BTW it's more like a left handed golf swing than anything. Your right hand is still doing most of the work, your left is there for guidance/suppport. Shoulder and trunk rotation is a big part of it too. Have fun.

ionutzakis 08-14-2007 06:00 AM

let's get real, 2HNH DTL don't compare with a 1H DTL, plus you can't disguise it like you do with a 1H

nasastevo 08-14-2007 06:09 AM

Disguise?

Why not? I've seen some of the greats do it just fine... If anything, your just giving up reach.... Most people that hit 2HBH go to one when they need the extra reach anyway... I personally hit a 1HBH, but have been passed by 2HBH's too many times. Haven't you ever lined up to cover down the line and your 2HBH opponent hits a slow roller cross court? Come on!!!

Tennismastery 08-14-2007 06:17 AM

Quit subjectively labeling a shot as being weaker or stronger. If more than 70% of the top men use a two-hander, it must not be the totally whacked out shot that some of you seem to believe it to be.

However, from my standpoint, a teaching pro of over 30 years and having trained well over 3000 players, the two-handed backhand is the superior stroke for developing a solid, effective backhand. Most players who have weak or very inconsistent one-handers can use the two-hander to learn new patterns and even discover something new about the backhand. Trying to continue to fiddle with a flawed one-handed backhand will only result in the player reverting back to their flawed form...because it is too close of a swing pattern to their bad technique.

You will never develop a worse backhand if you try a two-handed stroke with proper technique. You can, however, discover something new and productive with it.

nasastevo 08-14-2007 06:24 AM

Thanks Dave!!

For putting an end to that thread. I thought I was the only one out there that thought "What the heck are they thinking?" I personally have a great 1HBH that I depend on, but there are many great advantages to a 2HBH. The swing is much more compact, therefore a bit more stable return swing. More power can be generated in less time, etc...

Forehand Forever 08-14-2007 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionutzakis (Post 1664530)
let's get real, 2HNH DTL don't compare with a 1H DTL, plus you can't disguise it like you do with a 1H

That's true. I love my 2 handed backhand crosscourt with topspin though. I used to be decent at DTL backhands now I don't think I'm as good.

Photoshop 08-14-2007 07:37 AM

Just for the record I can hit 2h DTL harder than Mathieu.

Welcome to the darkside, garbage!

tbini87 08-14-2007 07:49 AM

i like my 2hbh also! definitely not the dark side at all. just like with any stroke, with enough practice it can become a weapon. it is a very consistent stroke for me, and when facing big serves my 2hbh rarely lets my down on a return...

Thomas Bird-Itch 08-14-2007 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennismastery (Post 1664576)
Quit subjectively labeling a shot as being weaker or stronger. If more than 70% of the top men use a two-hander, it must not be the totally whacked out shot that some of you seem to believe it to be.

Thank you ...and by the way, GREAT BOOK!

You can learn a lot of things here, in Dave's book (Tennis Mastery), and from Hi-Tech Tennis (www.hi-techtennis.com). I basically jumped 3 levels in about a year just by switching to a 2H BH. Consistency is very underrated.

Many posters on this board will encourage you to believe you're not a REAL player unless you use a 12oz stick and a 1H BH. That's simply not true. The "dark side" is being sucked into the myths that regularly circulate this board.

garbage 08-14-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee Willikers Batman! (Post 1664494)
2HBH The Dark-Side?

Fscking Jerk...

Lighten up dude.

Venetian 08-14-2007 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garbage (Post 1665564)
Lighten up dude.

I think, and hope, that he was joking when he said that. That's how it looked to me anway. :)

gonevcrazy 08-14-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee Willikers Batman! (Post 1664494)
2HBH The Dark-Side?

Fscking Jerk...

And to the guy who said you can't rip 2HBH DTL shots, maybe it's not the shot itself, it's just you who can't do it. ;)

Agreed! :wink:

dave333 08-14-2007 01:32 PM

Try it. Maybe you will like it. Why stick with something that is mediocre or sucks, when you can try something new that can be awesome?

OrangeOne 08-14-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Bird-Itch (Post 1665025)
I basically jumped 3 levels in about a year just by switching to a 2H BH. Consistency is very underrated.

Many posters on this board will encourage you to believe you're not a REAL player unless you use a 12oz stick and a 1H BH. That's simply not true. The "dark side" is being sucked into the myths that regularly circulate this board.

I've had one solid hitting session with my 2-hander, 2-hours or thereabouts last saturday (see thread link in my first post in this thread). It came as a result of exactly the same frustration as the OP was experiencing, and after over 20 years of tennis. I have a great slice, and a questionable 1HBH, and that shot is really starting to lag behind the rest of my game. I struggle, especially when players thump to my BH.

Consistency (from that side) is all I'm looking for, my FH will always be the weapon (although if the BH ever overtakes it I'll be outrageously happy with my game :)).

As for the dark side, these boards are indeed hideously bad for promoting it.