Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Hitting really (really) high balls behind baseline (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=153015)

kidwithshirt 08-26-2007 01:35 AM

Hitting really (really) high balls behind baseline

Sometimes a ball bounces really high, like a lob shot that lands 1-2 feet from the baseline and jumps up at least 10-15 feet

Should i set up and try to put as much spin on it as possible or just treat it like a serve and do a baseline overhead

esm 08-26-2007 02:16 AM

what i do is (most times)..

step back and hit it back with top spin so it gives me time to get back into my usual position.

/im sure others will have other options.

mark rodgers 08-26-2007 04:43 AM

I prefer to move in and hit the ball on the rise at around waist level.

Radical Dave 08-26-2007 06:50 AM

most of the time i just take it out of the air as a swinging/regular volley, unless it looks like it might go out

Rickson 08-26-2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidwithshirt (Post 1693770)
Sometimes a ball bounces really high, like a lob shot that lands 1-2 feet from the baseline and jumps up at least 10-15 feet

Should i set up and try to put as much spin on it as possible or just treat it like a serve and do a baseline overhead

Try to get it on the rise or pluck it out of the air because once a high topspin lob that lands right on the baseline bounces over your head, you're toast.

kidwithshirt 08-26-2007 04:25 PM

Hitting this type of shots on the rise does take some skill and luck

My friends always try to wait it to bounce then hit it at waist level

jmverdugo 08-26-2007 04:58 PM

It is better to learn to hit it on the rise because you will face oponents whose topspin shots wont go down ever, they will hit the wall shoulder high. In the forehand side is not that hard to hit those balls, on the bh side it is harder but you can always slice it down.

Frank Silbermann 08-27-2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmverdugo (Post 1695127)
It is better to learn to hit it on the rise because you will face oponents whose topspin shots wont go down ever, they will hit the wall shoulder high. In the forehand side is not that hard to hit those balls, on the bh side it is harder but you can always slice it down.

I agree, provided that the ball has speed, not just height and spin. If it doesn't have speed, then you can probably wait until the ball comes down to chest height without being pushed too far back. Or better yet, you can drive-volley it at your favorite height.

NLBwell 08-28-2007 08:02 PM

Hit it on the rise or volley it -- Never give ground! :-)

zenmaster 08-28-2007 08:16 PM

Because it is a HIGH topspin lob you should have time to position yourself to hit on the rise. So start practicing hitting on the rise. If you need immediate help, however, it may be an ok idea to hit that baseline overhead if you are confident with it, as I have done in the past.

herosol 08-28-2007 08:44 PM

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. but, you can hit on the rise but trust me theres nothing better then this kind of opportunity.

hitting on the rise wastes a high ball opportunity
putting wayyyy to much spin wastes a high ball opportunity

seriously, when it bounces up wait for it to get a very solid forehand position, then completely eastern forehand the **** out of it.

No spin. all pop. all power. all speed.
And this isn't just for the purpose of hitting hard, this is a great opporunity to really hit a winner since you have alot of time to time it.

but if you really are that cautious of a player and refuse to try to hit a very nice shot to really put your opponent on the defensive, then put the spin.
but in my opinion and wiht my experience it is a waste to put alot of spin.

The_1337 08-28-2007 09:10 PM

i usually just hit it back with lots of topspin unless i can get in a good position and hit it on the rise.

jmverdugo 08-29-2007 10:33 AM

If you want to hit on the rise the better thing to do, IMO, is to focus on have a clean good contact with the ball not to much topspin a very simple stroke. Remember that you are already taking time to your opponent by hitting on the rise, so good colocation is better than speed.

burosky 08-29-2007 01:02 PM

There is one important detail missing from the description. The pace of the ball. Hitting it like a serve is always an option albeit a lower percentage shot. Same is true for smacking it for a winner. The high percentage play is to hit it back deep off a ground stroke. Depending on the pace, you can either hit it on the rise or step back and hit it on it's way down. The main key is hitting it around your strike zone. Whatever you are comfortable with (on the rise or on the way down) is the shot you should take.

It is tempting to tee off on these kind of shots specially when there isn't much pace. Once in a while, if I'm feeling zoned and/or I have an insurmountable lead, I do give it a go but more often than not I opt for the higher percentage play.

jmverdugo 08-30-2007 04:56 AM

Here you go,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGySiOIrK70

at some point on that video I hit a forehand on the rise, it is actually the only forehand i hit, and you can see that, eventhough i take it on the rise, it is still shoulder high (well im 5´8" so maybe it is not that high) but the point is that the ball was going to hit the wall really high, so there was no chance to go back and wait until the ball loose power and height, thats was not going to happen. Also due to the speed of the ball it is really hard to hit a flat shot specially from where i was standing.

P.S. I know my partner and i are not the best double team so please do not make fun of our lack of comunication ;)