Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Czech Sport Tension (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=163672)

velvetcrush 10-26-2007 09:29 AM

Czech Sport Tension

I have had a Czech Sports professional spring tension stringing machine for about 8 years. I was looking to sell this and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it or what it may be worth? I'm not sure on the model number, but it is a full standing model, not a tabletop. Everything works. My brother used to string professionally, but now that he's gone, and I've forgotten how to string ( stopped playing for 5 years due to elbow problems), I have no use for it.

Thanks for the input.

PBODY99 10-27-2007 06:31 AM

The Stringers Assistant had a review on this brand years ago, and found some minor issues. Used , not over 300 $ us, as a new model stringer from Alpha or Gamma can be had in the 500 $ range can be had with a better chance of getting repairs if something goes wrong.

velvetcrush 10-27-2007 09:05 AM

Thanks a bunch, I'll probably throw it up for sale in the forum, craigslist, etc., for $300

babolatman 11-02-2007 04:59 PM

I also have a czech sport stringer mine is a 6 point and I bought mine about 4 years ago for 400.00 dollars....if it is in good condition....you should be able to get between 300.00-400.00 for it....also depends on whether it has double locking clamps or single.......

babolatman 11-02-2007 05:02 PM

I am looking for single lever clamps for my stringing machine,,,,,,U di not want to buy a whole new table.....my stringer is a czech sport.....any one have any ideas....I did some research online....not much info from the dealers.....thanks...any help would be appreciated.....

nhoang 05-16-2008 02:48 PM

Nam Hoang

Hi,
Do you get a single lever clamp for your Czech tension machine yet?
Or, any info. where to get the replacement ?
Thanks,

Nam H.

!Tym 05-17-2008 02:17 AM

The Czech machines were an interesting concept with their unique single-action clamps. Unlike other single actions, this wasn't a rail based system. They looked liked double-actions, but only one motion was needed to lock the base and clamps.

The concept was a great idea, but the execution very poor indeed. The Czech machines had solid turntable, mounting, and tensioning; but their clamps made them all but useless in my opinion for stringing anything difficult like gut or easily squashed strings like multifilaments.

The problem with their clamps was two-fold. One, the clamps moved around the turntable with a lot of friction, not the most pleasant experience...BUT the far bigger problem were the clamps themselves. They required all kinds of fiddling and adjustment to different guage strings and string types to prevent slipping and crushing. Adjust them too loose, and the clamps would inevitably slip on the pivotal first two pulls. Adjust them too tight and you'd end up crushing strings.

Was a very frustrating proposition, and the fatal flaw of the machine. Yes, the clamps didn't exactly glide around the turntable like Kristi Yamaguchi on ice, but still, it would be something I think many would have been more than willing to live with for the added convenience of the single-action design. But again, what good is convenience when you can't clamp a string properly without causing premature string breakage?

If you can find a way to replace the clamps, you'd have a winner for not a lot of dough, but alas the manufacturer never did improve the clamps. Thus, a potentially breakthrough design went to the garbage bin.

It was truly one of those "ALMOST but not quite there" type designs you see from manufacturers periodically.