Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Philippoussis...least intelligent player?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=163967)

Tempest344 10-28-2007 02:26 AM

Philippoussis...least intelligent player??
 
So much talent over the years but sadly as he has no brain it is wasted to buggery.....as shown by Age of Love

A friend of mine used to be his hitting partner and basically They would hit up for 15 mins and then Philippoussis would go home...Now Is that Dumb or what????

daddy.dirtsurfer 10-28-2007 06:24 AM

He's talentless.

35ft6 10-29-2007 01:51 AM

Being dumb isn't necessarily a bad thing in professional tennis. Analysis paralysis is pretty common in tennis.

galain 10-29-2007 03:12 AM

I would have picked the one he chose in Age of Love too. I think that showed pretty good taste!

But I know what you mean. A bit of maturity,work and committment and he could have dominated - shame he never did. He had the game to beat everybody - just not the head.

Techniques 10-29-2007 03:30 AM

He's too lazy. Should hang up the racquet and call it a day on the pro tour. He's been injured alot- that doesn't help... had a lot of talent though. Shame he didn't fufill all of it. Still, he had a decent career.

Rhino 10-29-2007 03:32 AM

Everybody is different. Philippoussis had a lot of talent but he also liked to ride fast bikes and fast women. Does that make him dumb? He made his choices an had a lot of good times.
A lot of people who post on this site will be making tennis 100% of their lives. Most or all of them will fail to make any impact, and will insult players like Philippoussis. Philippoussis made tennis only partially important in his life, yet had a lot of fun - plus a few tennis highlights like playing Federer in a Wimbledon final and winning a few titles.
I know who I'd rather be.
Anyway the guy was injured and had some bad luck too. Wasn't he even in a wheelchair for a while?

sunflowerhx 10-29-2007 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techniques (Post 1840299)
He's too lazy. Should hang up the racquet and call it a day on the pro tour. He's been injured alot- that doesn't help... had a lot of talent though. Shame he didn't fufill all of it. Still, he had a decent career.

Pat Rafter in an interview critised his attitude especially during Davis cup time.

You can find the interview on youtube.

esm 10-29-2007 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino (Post 1840300)
Everybody is different. Philippoussis had a lot of talent but he also liked to ride fast bikes and fast women. Does that make him dumb? He made his choices an had a lot of good times.
A lot of people who post on this site will be making tennis 100% of their lives. Most or all of them will fail to make any impact, and will insult players like Philippoussis. Philippoussis made tennis only partially important in his life, yet had a lot of fun - plus a few tennis highlights like playing Federer in a Wimbledon final and winning a few titles.
I know who I'd rather be.
Anyway the guy was injured and had some bad luck too. Wasn't he even in a wheelchair for a while?

well said!

i smell alot of jealousy from some forum members here.

keithchircop 10-29-2007 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest344 (Post 1838496)
So much talent over the years but sadly as he has no brain it is wasted to buggery.....as shown by Age of Love

I'd like to point out that buggery means anal intercourse.

Young Pete 10-29-2007 09:32 PM

don't hate the player (flipper in this case) hate the game!

my 2 cents..

Cervantes 10-29-2007 09:54 PM

So then...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keithchircop (Post 1840320)
I'd like to point out that buggery means anal intercourse.

...a bugger is a sodomist?


"Love is a loaded gun..."
Alice Cooper

keithchircop 10-30-2007 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cervantes (Post 1842133)
...a bugger is a sodomist?

Correctamundo.

Cervantes 11-14-2007 08:10 AM

Phillo...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest344 (Post 1838496)
So much talent over the years but sadly as he has no brain it is wasted to buggery.....as shown by Age of Love

A friend of mine used to be his hitting partner and basically They would hit up for 15 mins and then Philippoussis would go home...Now Is that Dumb or what????

Tennis is a thinking man's game, but in a match we're told to not think so much. Phillo may have taken this a bit too far and be a head case ala Safin...but Roger don't surf...


"Around here that don’t ad inches to our c@#ks…"
Jack Nicholson, The Departed

coloskier 11-14-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino (Post 1840300)
Everybody is different. Philippoussis had a lot of talent but he also liked to ride fast bikes and fast women. Does that make him dumb? He made his choices an had a lot of good times.
A lot of people who post on this site will be making tennis 100% of their lives. Most or all of them will fail to make any impact, and will insult players like Philippoussis. Philippoussis made tennis only partially important in his life, yet had a lot of fun - plus a few tennis highlights like playing Federer in a Wimbledon final and winning a few titles.
I know who I'd rather be.
Anyway the guy was injured and had some bad luck too. Wasn't he even in a wheelchair for a while?

Philipoussis = Safin

serveBig 11-14-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino (Post 1840300)
Everybody is different. Philippoussis had a lot of talent but he also liked to ride fast bikes and fast women. Does that make him dumb? He made his choices an had a lot of good times.
A lot of people who post on this site will be making tennis 100% of their lives. Most or all of them will fail to make any impact, and will insult players like Philippoussis. Philippoussis made tennis only partially important in his life, yet had a lot of fun - plus a few tennis highlights like playing Federer in a Wimbledon final and winning a few titles.
I know who I'd rather be.
Anyway the guy was injured and had some bad luck too. Wasn't he even in a wheelchair for a while?

Finally, someone who actually understands Philippoussis. Tennis has never been no.1 in Mark's priorities so it's easy to bag him out for it and call him a loser ect... He's always been more focussed on friends, family, parties, girlfriends and I don't see anything wrong with that.

No matter what profession any of us are in - some ppl give 100% effort and time to their work, and others just do what they have to, to get by and are satisfied. To say he's talentless is ridiculous - you don't make 22 finals with no talent.

His lack achievements are not due to lack of talent... rather a combination of off-court fun (partying, wakeboarding, snowboarding, sky diving, surfing,) some bad coaching mistakes, and **** luck with injuries at crucial times (eg. 3 knee ops before age 24).

callitout 11-14-2007 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cervantes (Post 1842133)
...a bugger is a sodomist?



Well, Bugger that then.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse