Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   nadal question: wimbledon vs. USO (aus??) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=166436)

grizzly4life 11-12-2007 10:51 AM

nadal question: wimbledon vs. USO (aus??)

there was probably a huge thread on this in the summer.....

but why do people think nadal's been so successful at wimbledon, but not nearly as successful at USO. admittedly pretty limited data, but does wimbledon now play slower than USO? even if slower i can't see the bounces being larger... and wonder same thing about wimbledon vs. AO, but strikes me that nadal was injured last year at AO.

thanks in advance!! as i said, i realize that there aren't too many data points on his W vs. USO

Shabazza 11-12-2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzly4life (Post 1873233)
there was probably a huge thread on this in the summer.....

but why do people think nadal's been so successful at wimbledon, but not nearly as successful at USO. admittedly pretty limited data, but does wimbledon now play slower than USO? even if slower i can't see the bounces being larger... and wonder same thing about wimbledon vs. AO, but strikes me that nadal was injured last year at AO.

thanks in advance!! as i said, i realize that there aren't too many data points on his W vs. USO

Yes, there was a thread about it.
Nadal is pretty good on natural surfaces with it's multiple bad bounces and his footwork works better than on a hardcourt.
Furthermore, there are very few players who can play good on grass and can cope with those irregular bounces the way Federer or Nadal do. So he has less of a competion on this surface, than on hard were the gamestyle of Blake and others, who pose a threat for him, are most suited to.

Nadal_Freak 11-12-2007 12:22 PM

I think Nadal is the same. I just think everyone else is much better on hard courts. Easier to take it early, punish a second serve, and etc.

RoddickistheMan 11-12-2007 12:24 PM

hard courts are now much faster than grass. The ball bounces higher on grass now then on does on hard courts according to mcenroe. This makes playing conditions similar to clay.
________
HONDA AVANCIER SPECIFICATIONS

Nadal_Freak 11-12-2007 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoddickistheMan (Post 1873473)
hard courts are now much faster than grass. The ball bounces higher on grass now then on does on hard courts according to mcenroe. This makes playing conditions similar to clay.

The only things it is similar to grass is the irregular bounce and a slippery surface. Otherwise grass is clearly faster than clay. Not even close there.

grizzly4life 11-12-2007 02:59 PM

i appreciate the excellent responses!!

Gugafan 11-12-2007 05:23 PM

Murray and Ancic will be back for wimbledon next yr. They will be dark-horses for the title. They have proven grass court pedigree. Infact Ancic was the last guy to beat Fed at Wimbledon.

2007 is going to be amazing for tennis. Tommy Haas AUS OPEN CHAMPION 07?

edmondsm 11-12-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadal_Freak (Post 1873472)
I think Nadal is the same. I just think everyone else is much better on hard courts. Easier to take it early, punish a second serve, and etc.

That's a good point. But it doesn't really take into account Nadal's success in masters hard-courts, as opposed to Slams. He is arguably the 2nd best grass player the last two years, but yet hasn't even gotten to the final of a Wimby warm-up. Then he does very well in hard-court masters events, but tanks at slams. Puzzling to me.

Nadal_Freak 11-12-2007 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmondsm (Post 1874729)
He is arguably the 2nd best grass player the last two years, but yet hasn't even gotten to the final of a Wimby warm-up. Puzzling to me.

Yeah Queens is probably the fastest tournament on tour. Also Nadal is fatigued after the French Open (only 2 days of rest). Probably both make a difference. Wimbledon is fast to but not as much as Queens.

crazylevity 11-12-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gugafan (Post 1874334)
Murray and Ancic will be back for wimbledon next yr. They will be dark-horses for the title. They have proven grass court pedigree. Infact Ancic was the last guy to beat Fed at Wimbledon.

2007 is going to be amazing for tennis. Tommy Haas AUS OPEN CHAMPION 07?

2007 is nearly over. :p and Haas, i'm afraid is a Haas-been.

93sq. 11-12-2007 10:30 PM

Why nadal is a good grass player only on the stupid wimbledon grass!?
Please stop that river of BS!

Andres 11-13-2007 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadal_Freak (Post 1874739)
Yeah Queens is probably the fastest tournament on tour. Also Nadal is fatigued after the French Open (only 2 days of rest). Probably both make a difference. Wimbledon is fast to but not as much as Queens.

Lyon, actually ;)

Nadal_Freak 11-14-2007 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93sq. (Post 1874929)
Why nadal is a good grass player only on the stupid wimbledon grass!?
Please stop that river of BS!

Yeah there are only 2 tournaments on grass Nadal plays so yeah only playing well at Wimbledon is pretty big deal. The grass at Wimbledon is cool. :D

coloskier 11-14-2007 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadal_Freak (Post 1873479)
The only things it is similar to grass is the irregular bounce and a slippery surface. Otherwise grass is clearly faster than clay. Not even close there.

Yes, Wimbledon is faster than clay, but the US Open is MUCH faster than Wimbledon. I would put Wimbledon, Miami, and Indian Wells on an equal footing as far as speed is concerned. But the US Open, Paris, Cincinnati, and Shanghai are MUCH faster with low skipping balls. AO will now join the later group with their surface change this year.