Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   *****THE OFFICIAL HEAD PRO TOUR 630/280 Club************* (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=167959)

Pro_Tour_630 11-21-2007 08:01 PM

*****THE OFFICIAL HEAD PRO TOUR 630/280 Club*************

Ok I think it is about time we start our own Pro Tour 630/280 club. I do not have time to moderate this club but I think we can have some volunteers, I can help as much as I can. Please let me know who can help moderate this club. We need few people who actually use the Pro Tour and can answer many questions. We need to compile all information on the Pro Tour into this thread. All info is welcomed. Any trolls will not be tolerated and zapped. Keep it clean. Thanks

I know many on this forum who are still using these frames. Please check in so we can have a count. Thanks

Please register and tell us your level, style, specs and setup

#1 member 5.0 all courter
1/4 grip with anything below 1.20mm at low tension (under 55lbs) at 31.5cm balance with 327 SW

galain 11-22-2007 12:40 AM

Umm - I'm not in your league mate! I'll class myself as a noob for now because I don't much about this frame other than I've been using it recently and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Not sure how to rank myself - I play "A' grade in Oz - maybe a solid 4.0? All courter - 3/8 grip strung with anything soft at around 54lbs. (PT 630)

snoflewis 11-22-2007 12:44 AM

i know nothing about the pt630/280...but since i bought a couple...i have a few questions

1. the pt630 is the euro version of the pt280 correct?
2. what is the composition? i remember something about twaron...but what exactly is twaron?
3. any preferred string setups?

thanks.

onkystomper 11-22-2007 12:53 AM

Was a 5.0 but have not played for 12 weeks due to travelling so prob regressed to a 1.0 :)

Pro Tour 630 with Natural Gut mains and Gamma X Strung between 57-62 lbs. Depending on what i fancy.

To Above

1. Yes
2.Twaron was a kind of graphite / fibress composite that head used to use. It gives excellent feel! But was expensive, hence used no more.
3. You should just dabble yourself, new frame = new strings just as important.

vsbabolat 11-22-2007 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoflewis (Post 1895676)
i know nothing about the pt630/280...but since i bought a couple...i have a few questions

2. what is the composition? i remember something about twaron...but what exactly is twaron?
thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twaron
The exact composition of the Pro Tour 630/280 is High Modulus Graphite and High Modulus Twaron Fiber. Twaron Fiber is a Aramid Fiber similar to Kevlar. Kevlar was developed by DuPont. But Twaron was developed by the Dutch Company AKZO. In 1989 AKZO changed it's name to Twaron BV. In 2000 Twaron BV is bought by the Teijin Group.

This gives a great description of Twaron Fiber. http://www.teijinaramid.com/smartsite.dws?id=90

Nastase 11-22-2007 08:17 AM

I'm in. Anyone leaving the club pls sell me yours.

5.0+ former college player, mainly baseliner. I currently string with Lux Flouro 17 mains and 17g syn gut or nat gut crosses at 55 or 56lbs. Tinkering with all gut as strings last so long in 18x20.

rorschack 11-22-2007 10:34 AM

Got a bunch of pt630 and pt280. I like it at 50lb. 1.0 going to 7.0. The Chinese are heavier than the Austrian. It must be because of eating too much rice! :)

BTW, i am tempted to try some co-poly for the fun of it. Should I? These things are so low powered and I am happy with my spin. Any suggestion? I've put kevlar on main at super low tension (47lb) and the spin was out of this world but the power suffered so badly.

Ross K 11-22-2007 11:55 AM

Although I was actually planning on starting my own club which might have included the PT, and despite very strong... ahem... 'feelings' for 2 other frames ... well, I suppose you'd better put my name down.

As I only recently got mine, I'd be very interested to hear other people's opinions and experiences on all aspects of how it plays.

As for myself, I've posted before on my initial impressions, I'll say this though... it's a very dynamic and mobile frame with a totally unique, classy, feel. There has also already been a significant improvement in my game. And it's just so liberating and confidence-inspiring to play with such an obvious rod of... (what can I call it?)... supreme excellence!

I should also say my only less than so far amazing impressions regard the serve and the grip feel. However, among other things, I expect these issues to be resolved with greater familiarity with the frame.

BTW, I'm about a 4.0... baseliner/developing all courter... string info, etc - not sure TBH, and as the strings were freshly put on by previous owner when I got it, and because I like them, I haven't changed them.

jace112 11-22-2007 01:11 PM

Stock PT630 Made in Austria
350 g strung overgrip dampener
32.5 cm
325 kg.cm² measured strung overgrip dampener
Signum Pro Pure Plasma @ 25 kg

kinsella 11-22-2007 08:26 PM

When I cleared out my PT280s, I kept one because it just hits so sweet, even if it was no longer the best fit for me. Great frame! I wish more sticks had Kevlar/Aramid/Twaron mixed into the graphite.

Ross K 11-22-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsella (Post 1897238)
Great frame! I wish more sticks had Kevlar/Aramid/Twaron mixed into the graphite.

Judging by the dramatic advances in how my FH is now firing ever since getting my PT, I reckon you've missed one important part of the composition - kryptonite!

Pleepers 11-25-2007 07:05 AM

I sold all my public/stock PT 630s and regret ever doing it :(. All I have right now is a PT630 paintjob frame and am now back in the hunt for some PTs.

Michael, I was reading an old post of yours regarding an iPrestige with glossy paint. Would you mind sending me a picture of this frame -I'd really appreciate it. Thanks (pleepers101@yahoo.com)

Pleepers 11-25-2007 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsella (Post 1897238)
When I cleared out my PT280s, I kept one because it just hits so sweet, even if it was no longer the best fit for me. Great frame! I wish more sticks had Kevlar/Aramid/Twaron mixed into the graphite.

John -are you the same guy who is also on the tercel awd forums? I think you have saved me a couple of times -cheers!

jayserinos99 11-25-2007 05:51 PM

count me in. there's something about this frame that makes me hold onto them. i still have a couple in the bag now.

member #5: 4.25 all court junk-baller, L3 grip size, Head calfskin leather, no lead tape, strung with 1) Klip Legend 17 mains at 55 lbs, Isospeed Pro 17 crosses at 61 lbs; 2) Babolat Hurricane Tour 17 at 52 lbs.

Ross K 11-26-2007 03:13 AM

PT and serve?

How do ppl find it on serves? I'm new to the frame and just wondered what the consensus of opinion was?... BTW, thus far I've found my 'go to' serve, the slice serve, just isn't happening properly (I also think the grip shape doesn't help), and for kick, I'm really having to work very hard indeed for very modest results. Keen to hear other PT users 'serve' stories...

Richie Rich 11-26-2007 03:18 AM

i have a new PT630 with LM paintjob. Seems a little lighter than normal PT, even with the calfskin grip. Would that be so the pro's can customize the weight easier?

Ross K 11-26-2007 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie Rich (Post 1902961)
i have a new PT630 with LM paintjob.

This subject that I've seen mentioned before on these boards intrigues me...

Q. To your normal, less-than-expert person as regards frames, how would they even know or tell that beneath a LM pj (or other racquet, if that's the case) there's a PT lurking?

Pleepers 11-26-2007 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie Rich (Post 1902961)
i have a new PT630 with LM paintjob. Seems a little lighter than normal PT, even with the calfskin grip. Would that be so the pro's can customize the weight easier?

I think all the Head pj frames are now just based on the mold of the older frames (i.e. the PT 630, PC 600, and Radical), leaving the stock weight lighter for customization to the pro's desired spec. My PT 630 PJ frame was about 280g with just frame, pallet, and buttcap -then with CAPs and grip about 300g. Pros will then add about 20-50g in lead depending on the player and the pj they are using.

Pleepers 11-26-2007 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross K (Post 1902966)
This subject that I've seen mentioned before on these boards intrigues me...

Q. To your normal, less-than-expert person as regards frames, how would they even know or tell that beneath a LM pj (or other racquet, if that's the case) there's a PT lurking?

You can tell by the mold of the frame -the dimples in the throat of the Head pjs are a dead give-away -but the stiffness and other specs of the frame will vary based on the player.

BDAZ 11-26-2007 04:25 AM

michael, i have a question for you. please forgive me. i in no way intend to hijack this thread and don't want it to turn into a radical thread, but i was curious if you've ever played with the original radical (trysis 260--same mold as the pro tour, does that count?) and if so how it compares to the pro tour? thanks.