Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Official 2008 Australian Open TW Meetup thread. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=172872)

OrangeOne 12-29-2007 07:47 PM

Official 2008 Australian Open TW Meetup thread.

Ok, given our wilson-plentiful friend Jo11yRoger has indeed setup a UO thread about 8 months in advance, I figure I'll set this one up about 2 weeks in advance :).

I'll be down in Melbourne for the AO with some mates for the entire first week. We're going to the tennis at least Mon, Tues & Thurs (and probably either Fri or Sat)...

If you're down in Melbourne - feel free to drop in to this thread and say hi - hey - maybe we'll see you down there.

If there are people who are keen to arrange a TW-AO-tennis-hit in Melbourne sometime that week, well post that here too and we'll see what we can arrange....

J011yroger 12-29-2007 08:04 PM

Hey OO,

Keep forgetting to ask you. Did you stick with the 2hbh?

J

chiapants226 12-29-2007 09:18 PM

i live in melbourne. would be interesting to see a few of the ppl on these forums. im going to the AO heaps of times :p

Duzza 12-29-2007 09:53 PM

Hey, I will be in Melbourne obviously, but doubt I can go to the Aussie Open any of those days. I'm up for a hit anytime you're down though!

chiapants226 12-29-2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duzza (Post 1965135)
Hey, I will be in Melbourne obviously, but doubt I can go to the Aussie Open any of those days. I'm up for a hit anytime you're down though!

when are we going to have a hit durham? :D

Duzza 12-29-2007 10:29 PM

When it's not so hot....I'm still up for the Melbourne Park idea, but it's gotta be very busy atm?

OrangeOne 12-30-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duzza (Post 1965135)

Right. Well, I'm down there for the week. What do you reckon on the getting-a-court front? We've always struggled during AO week, perhaps obviously. We do usually find *somewhere*, but it's not always good...

Do you know any other TWers that would want to hit? Chia?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiapants226 (Post 1965086)
i live in melbourne. would be interesting to see a few of the ppl on these forums. im going to the AO heaps of times :p

Well, I'm sure it's likely to happen. I'll be the tall guy :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 1964934)
Hey OO,

Keep forgetting to ask you. Did you stick with the 2hbh?

Nah. After recovering from one of the injuries, I had comp finals to prep for. I won them, so that was good. Lately I've found (strangely) that the time spent on my 2HBH has improved my 1HBH, so I've been sticking with it. Hmmmm.

Duzza 12-30-2007 06:40 PM

You can come down to my club if you'd like. It has 14 en tout cas courts, but it's a little out of the city, you have to go down the Nepean Hwy which takes about 10-20 mins I'd say. I'm sure I could get you guys on for free.

equinox 12-30-2007 10:56 PM

Sounds like a great idea duzza.

chiapants226 12-31-2007 08:16 AM

i'm up for a hit. depends where though. i live pretty far away from duzza, so i'd rather not go to durhams club to play, but if you can find somewhere closer to the city maybe id be interested?

well, if you want to meet up at the aus open Orange, im sure we could work something out. im sure there'll be plenty of other tall guys at the open :p

OrangeOne 12-31-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duzza (Post 1966584)
You can come down to my club if you'd like. It has 14 en tout cas courts, but it's a little out of the city, you have to go down the Nepean Hwy which takes about 10-20 mins I'd say. I'm sure I could get you guys on for free.

Sounds good. Driving is no problem - we're driving down from Sydney to Melbourne, so hopping in the car is easy.

Have to aim for an evening I guess - is that going to work do you think? Otherwise we'll have to work out what we're doing on what day, and see if..you're free one of the days we don't go to the open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by equinox (Post 1967005)
Sounds like a great idea duzza.

Eq: you're an aussie from memory - Are you in Melbourne? Are you keen for the hit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiapants226 (Post 1967400)
i'm up for a hit. depends where though. i live pretty far away from duzza, so i'd rather not go to durhams club to play, but if you can find somewhere closer to the city maybe id be interested?

Pretty far away? I like about 900ks away! :p Jokes aside, I'm not going to be the one knowing courts in Melbourne here. I'm happy to leave it to Duzz / You / other melbournites. You know the good courts, all I know is our availability - as above, mostly nights, one day later in the week, maybe friday?

Quote:

well, if you want to meet up at the aus open Orange, im sure we could work something out. im sure there'll be plenty of other tall guys at the open :p
But I'll be the one from Sydney :)

Duzza 01-01-2008 12:28 AM

Friday the 18th sounds good to me. Night/late arvo is fine by me too. We'll confirm later down the track but that seems good to me.

Chris, equinox in too?

chiapants226 01-01-2008 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duzza (Post 1968786)
Friday the 18th sounds good to me. Night/late arvo is fine by me too. We'll confirm later down the track but that seems good to me.

Chris, equinox in too?

depends when and what time. and also where :p for now, i'll say yes. once i know the details i'll be able to confirm that yes or take it back :D

equinox 01-01-2008 04:19 AM

Going to the tennis 19th. So 18th is ok with me.

OrangeOne 01-01-2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duzza (Post 1968786)

Chris, equinox in too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiapants226 (Post 1968893)
depends when and what time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by equinox (Post 1968909)
Going to the tennis 19th. So 18th is ok with me.

Excellent. The TW AO hit is alive :)

All looking good so far, we'll pencil in that Friday night/late arvo for tennis and go from there, who knows, we might even get a few more takers in the coming weeks.

Now I just need to remember how to play on en-tout-cas, given I get to play on it about once every 3 years. I mean, it's not as if it's much of a change from slippery-fast synth-grass to en-tout-cas :D

Duzza 01-02-2008 04:40 AM

Yeah, sounds like we should have a really good hit lines up. IIRC, Equinox is about 4.5 quality as am I.

equinox 01-02-2008 05:39 AM

I should be about same level as our man duzza. Of course today i wasn't. 4 weeks break and recovering from illness, every third ball was from shankville. Routine 6-0 6-0 6-1 . . . . 3.5 op.

Real surprise was the damage caused by that storm we had last week. It was like a warzone on our nearly demolished courts.

There were huge craters to jump over and massive charcoal pieces dotting the surface. Partner took some photos. I might post them. DendyPark should be an upgrade. :)

Hey duzza, you get any decent girls (top800 or so) to hit bring'em down for mixed. :D

My team will probably need a hit before feb, might bring one of the better ones down for a bash.

Duzza 01-02-2008 06:01 AM

Yeah I played today for the first time since my loss at schoolboys. Won with my main partner 5 and 3 then switched it round won 5-7(after being 5-1 up :|) 6-2 6-0. very satisfied with how I played actually....although I'm seriously sore now :(

And I really don't know any girlies that are that good at tennis unfortunately. Played once with Amy Shipperd and she absolutely stole the court from me though :D.

chiapants226 01-02-2008 01:54 PM

im probably not as good as either equinox or duzza. :p

OrangeOne 01-02-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duzza (Post 1970850)
Yeah, sounds like we should have a really good hit lines up. IIRC, Equinox is about 4.5 quality as am I.

Yeah, I'm also about 4.5 (though I will confess to being a better singles player than I am a doubles player :)).

That said, yesterday I played maybe 10 'super-tie-breaks' of mostly-mixed, and really enjoyed it, more than I've enjoyed dubs for some time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiapants226 (Post 1971790)
im probably not as good as either equinox or duzza. :p

My two mates who are coming along fit this description - I regularly beat them but they're still competitive and it's still a fun match.