Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Free tennis areas in NYC (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=175314)

Faipang 01-14-2008 06:37 PM

Free tennis areas in NYC
 
hi guys
do you guys know if theres any good public tennis courts that are open during the winter? Ive been dying to play but the courts that I play at during the summer is closed untill spring.
thanks guys.

PS I live near the Queens area

Rickson 01-14-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faipang (Post 2001253)
hi guys
do you guys know if theres any good public tennis courts that are open during the winter? Ive been dying to play but the courts that I play at during the summer is closed untill spring.
thanks guys.

PS I live near the Queens area

I sometimes go to 149 St. right off of 32nd Ave in Whitestone which is one town over from Flushing. The courts are always open to the public and although you're technically supposed to have a NYC parks permit, noone ever checks and they're not needed in the winter time at all. If you're looking for indoor courts in Queens, go to Alley Pond Park which is right across the street from Creedmoor hospital (in case you want to visit Phil) or you can go to Queens College. Both places go for around 30 bucks an hour unless you play during off times where Alley Pond has a special for 22 bucks. Good luck with your court search.

Faipang 01-14-2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickson (Post 2001277)
I sometimes go to 149 St. right off of 32nd Ave in Whitestone which is one town over from Flushing. The courts are always open to the public and although you're technically supposed to have a NYC parks permit, noone ever checks and they're not needed in the winter time at all. If you're looking for indoor courts in Queens, go to Alley Pond Park which is right across the street from Creedmoore hospital (in case you want to visit Phil) or you can go to Queens College. Both places go for around 30 bucks an hour unless you play during off times where Alley Pond has a special for 22 bucks. Good luck with your court search.

thanks Rickson Ill be sure to check out those places. thanks

does any one know any other places =D

thanks

Rickson 01-14-2008 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faipang (Post 2001432)
thanks Rickson Ill be sure to check out those places. thanks

does any one know any other places =D

thanks

It would help to know what part of Queens you're from or at least where you're willing to travel. In any case, there's Astoria Park which is right under the Triborough Bridge and also free at this time. From April to November you can play with the NYC parks permit, but right now, it's still free.

The tennis courts are right next to the track in the first picture.


Astoria Park

Shahar26 01-15-2008 04:50 AM

There's a place in Manhattan on Grand & Essex with 3 free courts.

Faipang 01-15-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickson (Post 2001538)
It would help to know what part of Queens you're from or at least where you're willing to travel. In any case, there's Astoria Park which is right under the Triborough Bridge and also free at this time. From April to November you can play with the NYC parks permit, but right now, it's still free.

The tennis courts are right next to the track in the first picture.


Astoria Park

ahhh what a nice environment to play tennis! i live in elmhurst near the queens center mall. thanks

thank you too shahar26

Rickson 01-15-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faipang (Post 2002764)
ahhh what a nice environment to play tennis! i live in elmhurst near the queens center mall. thanks

thank you too shahar26

Astoria Park's pretty nice, but during tennis season, you'll be waiting to book courts. Wait for a nice day and head out there. Hit me up and I'll meet you there. scanscape@yahoo.com

iradical18 01-15-2008 11:43 AM

You have to buy a permit to play at parks in NYC?

Shahar26 01-15-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iradical18 (Post 2002996)
You have to buy a permit to play at parks in NYC?

Yes, for most of them, and the crazy thing is, they DON'T sell them by the courts!!!!!!!

It's $7 per person per hour, or 100 for the season.

Welcome to the city ;)

Faipang 01-15-2008 02:51 PM

rickson ill keep you on mind =D

do you guys know when you can start apply for NYC permits? because its $10 for any one 17 and younger but once you hit 18 years old you have to start paying $100.

iradical18 01-15-2008 03:19 PM

That's insane. I never knew that. You cant use Public High School courts? And pardon me for being ignorant of big city living, I live in Sacramento :~).

Rickson 01-15-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iradical18 (Post 2003450)
That's insane. I never knew that. You cant use Public High School courts? And pardon me for being ignorant of big city living, I live in Sacramento :~).

It's a hundred bucks for the season. It's not that much if you split the cost with a tennis partner. The season lasts from April to November. The good thing about it is that you can play at any NYC park that has courts while those without permits have to sneak around.

Shahar26 01-15-2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faipang (Post 2003390)
rickson ill keep you on mind =D

do you guys know when you can start apply for NYC permits? because its $10 for any one 17 and younger but once you hit 18 years old you have to start paying $100.

Parag0n on 17th and Broadway (they do single passes, I assume they do seasonal too, but you can call them to make sure).

As far as I know it's $7 per person (even old farts), and 100 for the season.

Shahar26 01-15-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iradical18 (Post 2003450)
That's insane. I never knew that. You cant use Public High School courts? And pardon me for being ignorant of big city living, I live in Sacramento :~).

Nah, insane is my rent going up by $400 each year, I decided to move this year :cry:

stormholloway 03-07-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickson (Post 2003801)
It's a hundred bucks for the season. It's not that much if you split the cost with a tennis partner. The season lasts from April to November. The good thing about it is that you can play at any NYC park that has courts while those without permits have to sneak around.

How would you split the cost with a partner? I don't get it.

heycal 03-07-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahar26 (Post 2003146)
Yes, for most of them, and the crazy thing is, they DON'T sell them by the courts!!!!!!!

I believe they do sell day passes at the Central Park courts, and definitely do at Riverside red clay near 96th street.

Rickson 03-07-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormholloway (Post 2143648)
How would you split the cost with a partner? I don't get it.

One of you has the actual pass and you both pay 50 bucks. You only need 1 pass to get on a court, you don't need 4 people with passes if you're playing doubles.

vsbabolat 03-07-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneekynyc (Post 2143217)
I live and play in Harlem, on 147th st and adam clayton... Great area, very safe, very good players, hard courts,and you may even see james blake their, as he grew up playing their as a kid... I also play in Central Park, but sometimes its crazy like a zoo.

Craig

James Blake grew up playing most of his tennis at the Tennis Club of Trumbull with Brian Barker in Trumbull, Connecticut. Blake grew up in Fairfield, Connecticut. Blake went to the Armory in Harlem on the weekends with his father who was a volunteer when not playing in tournaments.

Rickson 03-07-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormholloway (Post 2143648)
How would you split the cost with a partner? I don't get it.

Do you understand that it's $100 for the season to reserve a court? It's not $100 per person.

jasoncho92 03-07-2008 06:31 PM

Rickson, i played at the 149th st courts all of the time before. I mightve played with you before lol


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse