Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   USTA League Noob.. What should I know? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=176759)

Serve em Up 01-22-2008 08:25 AM

USTA League Noob.. What should I know?

I'm playing in my first USTA league event tonight. It's mixed doubles league . I've never done this before. I self -rated to sign up.

Until now I've only played at the club and with my kids. I don't really have a feel for what the quality of play will be. I'm afraid I self-rated too low. What happens if I'm in the wrong level league. Do I just not play? Can I be disqualified. I have no experience playing anyone with a computer rating so I have no clue.

I'm looking forward to gettig a real idea of my level. I intend to play Men's singles and doubles in the spring.

I've talked too some that say it's great and I've met a few noce people that quit because they said a lot of players were over competitive jerks.

What can I expect.

tfm1973 01-22-2008 08:45 AM

for me anyway - the number of great people outnumber the jerks 20 to 1. i've met some fantastic people playing league tennis both on my teams and as opponents. if you self-rated too low -- you'll win a lot and then get bumped up. or you will find some sneaky captains trying to recruit you. ;)

goober 01-22-2008 09:26 AM

The most important thing to do for a good experience is to get on to a team that fits what you are looking for. There are teams built to win at all costs-mandatory practices, best players get to play, if you lose a lot you sit, ect.
Then there are teams that are completely social where there are no practices, everybody plays and you go out and have drink afterwards. There are all kinds of variations in between. Find a good group of guys that fit.

There are some very competitive people out there but I wouldn't let that deter you. That actual number of outright jerks is pretty low. But there is no doubt that you will encounter some hooking and bad gamesmanship.

Don't worry about your self rate unless you were a former college or high school player then you have to rate at a certain level depending on what you previously did. You will get bumped or you can move yourself up the following season.

Cindysphinx 01-22-2008 09:49 AM

What level is this?

If you're a dude, try not to hurt one of the chicks if she can't protect herself at net. If she is helpless up there, volley/overhead to her feet or the open court. If she can volley or is aggressive or starts beating you, all bets are off, IMHO.

Others can weigh in on this, but I'm starting to think one of the jobs of the dude in mixed is to help his partner hold, big time. If your partner is pinned in the back corner again and again facing 2-up as you just wait for the ball to come to you, this is not likely to lead to a victory. This is especially so if the opponents decide to adopt "Hit to the chick" as their strategy.

I like when my male partner tries to make something happen and is active at the net when I'm serving, at least faking and moving around. If he can touch it, I'd like him to take it. I don't mind at all if they try to poach and miss, just try, please. I don't like it if my male partner camps in the doubles alley on my serve.

What can I say? I'm not the strongest groundstroker that ever walked the baseline, so if our fortunes depend on me outgunning a 4.0 guy from the corner, there's gonna be trouble.

FWIW, I play 6.5 combo and have to play with weaker 3.0 women, and I see it as my job to hit at least two winners at net for every four points on their serve. I can't say I always (or ever!) manage this, but I try.

10sguy 01-22-2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 2025599)
The most important thing to do for a good experience is to get on to a team that fits what you are looking for. There are teams built to win at all costs-mandatory practices, best players get to play, if you lose a lot you sit, ect.
Then there are teams that are completely social where there are no practices, everybody plays and you go out and have drink afterwards. There are all kinds of variations in between. Find a good group of guys that fit.

There are some very competitive people out there but I wouldn't let that deter you. That actual number of outright jerks is pretty low. But there is no doubt that you will encounter some hooking and bad gamesmanship.

Don't worry about your self rate unless you were a former college or high school player then you have to rate at a certain level depending on what you previously did. You will get bumped or you can move yourself up the following season.

This all good . . . except for, "Don't worry about your self rate unless you were a former college or high school player, etc."

ANYone who self rates too low is at risk for incurring a self rate grievance or striking out, both of which can negatively affect your team (not to mention relationships with your new-found tennis acquaintances).

goober 01-22-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10sguy (Post 2025763)
This all good . . . except for, "Don't worry about your self rate unless you were a former college or high school player, etc."

ANYone who self rates too low is at risk for incurring a self rate grievance or striking out, both of which can negatively affect your team (not to mention relationships with your new-found tennis acquaintances).

If he has no prior competitive tennis history at all, I seriously doubt a grievance filed against him would hold up. I suppose he could get a computer DQ, but I am not sure in Mixed dubs this would occur or not. I just think based on his experience he stated that it is unlikely that he would over rate. Most tennis clubs inflate ratings compared to UTSA.

Cindysphinx 01-22-2008 10:53 AM

Don't worry about a DQ, I say. Play to win every point of every game of every set.

If you actually accomplish this, then bow out of this level and play up. :)

fe6250 01-26-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serve em Up (Post 2025398)
I'm playing in my first USTA league event tonight. It's mixed doubles league . I've never done this before. I self -rated to sign up.

Until now I've only played at the club and with my kids. I don't really have a feel for what the quality of play will be. I'm afraid I self-rated too low. What happens if I'm in the wrong level league. Do I just not play? Can I be disqualified. I have no experience playing anyone with a computer rating so I have no clue.

I'm looking forward to gettig a real idea of my level. I intend to play Men's singles and doubles in the spring.

I've talked too some that say it's great and I've met a few noce people that quit because they said a lot of players were over competitive jerks.

What can I expect.

Just curious - what was your experience? Are you able to answer some of the questions you had now that you have played?

Geezer Guy 01-30-2008 08:00 AM

Serve em Up - How'd it go?