Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Going Full Time at Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=177107)

Moz 01-23-2008 04:54 PM

Going Full Time at Tennis

Having read lots of threads on here about improving your game, playing tournaments etc and currently being between careers in a mid life crisis sort of way I have been inspired to do what I do best. Bugger all.

So from now on I am a full time tennis player. Having not played tennis at all during my 20's and never really been coached as a junior I am giving myself two years to see where I could have ended up. At the end of the 2 years I will have turned 37.

I am currently a 4.5 NTRP and 5.2 LTA Rating and spend my time between the UK (mainly), the USA and perhaps a few others. I will also be playing some over 35's events - that being the lowest official age group for British and International veterans.

Anyway, as you can tell by my ratings I'm not particularly good but determined to improve. If you're bored enough you can follow my exploits at:

http://oldmanontour.blogspot.com/

Any tips / comments gratefully received.

CAM178 01-23-2008 04:56 PM

Cool man. Sounds like fun. If you're ever in Texas, give us a hollar and we'll find some matches for you.

Good luck with it, and I look forward to hearing more about this.

Moz 01-23-2008 04:58 PM

Cheers mate - will do.

Actually, it's partly your fault talking about having a crack at a future's event etc!

Fuzzy10sBalls 01-23-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moz (Post 2031001)
Having read lots of threads on here about improving your game, playing tournaments etc and currently being between careers in a mid life crisis sort of way I have been inspired to do what I do best. Bugger all.

So from now on I am a full time tennis player. Having not played tennis at all during my 20's and never really been coached as a junior I am giving myself two years to see where I could have ended up. At the end of the 2 years I will have turned 37.

I am currently a 4.5 NTRP and 5.2 LTA Rating and spend my time between the UK (mainly), the USA and perhaps a few others. I will also be playing some over 35's events - that being the lowest official age group for British and International veterans.

Anyway, as you can tell by my ratings I'm not particularly good but determined to improve. If you're bored enough you can follow my exploits at:

aloha

Dude I have played you in a tourn before and we know each other from tournamets. I def think your a 5.0. You have a good game, and can rip the forehand hard as hell when your not doing the andy murray loop. Your weight is good, but your cardio might need some work. I think your have a good all around game, but lacking a bit in the net play confidence. Your a fighter , but you get way too negative at yourself, when you should be pumping yourself up with positive remarks. I guess the britt in your cant help but rip some loud cuss words, :).
Forget the andy murray attitude and act like nadal staying positive and having a short term memory.

I hope if you dont get where you want after 2 years you dont quit. I would hope you play until you cant physically.

I will be rooting for you! Good luck.

Just ask sup2dresq who i am, but keep it private

Topaz 01-23-2008 05:44 PM

Moz! Hey, go for it! I wish I could, too! Though, now that really *would* be an ugly site, especially starting at 3.5!!!

Also, if it is ok, I will link to your blog from mine (see signature).

Moz 01-23-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy10sBalls (Post 2031033)
aloha

Dude I have played you in a tourn before and we know each other from tournamets. I def think your a 5.0. You have a good game, and can rip the forehand hard as hell when your not doing the andy murray loop. Your weight is good, but your cardio might need some work. I think your have a good all around game, but lacking a bit in the net play confidence. Your a fighter , but you get way too negative at yourself, when you should be pumping yourself up with positive remarks. I guess the britt in your cant help but rip some loud cuss words, :).
Forget the andy murray attitude and act like nadal staying positive and having a short term memory.

I hope if you dont get where you want after 2 years you dont quit. I would hope you play until you cant physically.

I will be rooting for you! Good luck.

Just ask sup2dresq who i am, but keep it private

Thanks for the post! Sounds like you certainly know me and my game pretty well!! Cardio is getting better and I at least know what I have to do with my volleys. That's a start I suppose. The negative attitude is part of my heritage so may be harder to fix!!

Say hello if we see each other at a tournament soon. I'll drop Sup a note and respect your privacy.

Moz 01-23-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topaz (Post 2031125)
Moz! Hey, go for it! I wish I could, too! Though, now that really *would* be an ugly site, especially starting at 3.5!!!

Also, if it is ok, I will link to your blog from mine (see signature).

Go ahead, thanks. I'll link to yours.

fe6250 01-23-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

That is REALLY cool. Go for it Moz!!! I know a little bit about how you feel - even though I'm not nearly as talented. I would love to play tennis full time at any level - work on my game just to see how far I could take it. Unfortunately, the pay sucks and I have bills. Hope you do great!

Moz 01-24-2008 02:03 AM

Thanks mate.

Unfortunately the bills are going to have to wait for a while!

SJP 01-24-2008 03:26 AM

Quote:

Good for you for taking an alternate path in life. I am also doing the reverse retirement concept. After one too many stressful projects at work (I was a consultant) I decided to take a break to do, well, nothing. I go to the gym a lot, play tennis, have lunch with my friends, drive slow on the road, read books, it's great. No clients up my you know what asking for this or that. Now I'm one of those people sitting around in the whirlpool at the gym in no rush while everyone else is running around getting ready to go back to work. It's amazing to play tennis without all of that other stuff in my head.

I've not been at this for that long, but so far, its been great. At first, I was so happy to be away from work that the thought of returning made me want to throw up. Then, out of nowhere, I missed my old life. I even missed going to the airport, getting lost in major cities, hotel living, all of that sort of thing. I started to worry about going broke. It's easier for me because I'm married, but I still worry about it sometimes. So be prepared for those moments. I think its hard not to miss whatever life you had before.

Good luck with your tennis, and with life. If you start to have second thoughts, do a search on sabbaticals, etc. and you'll find that there are a lot of us out there.

Moz 01-24-2008 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJP (Post 2033551)
Good for you for taking an alternate path in life. I am also doing the reverse retirement concept..... moments. I think its hard not to miss whatever life you had before.

Thanks for the post. Ironic that I was in consultancy as well. I basically just got fed up of all the ********. I'm not missing it all. It's not the first time I have taken some time off and I haven't regretted it yet. I do feel that life is too short to spend too much time on stuff like that.

I can completely relate to your experiences as well. It's good sitting in the hot tub at the gym watching other people scampering back to work in their suit and tie.

The real challenge will be when the results turn bad and I get injured I suppose.

WBF 01-24-2008 04:32 AM

I'm jealous! Have fun, and hope everything works out!

Jonnyf 01-24-2008 09:08 AM

Hi Moz, Firstly, Good luck!

Please tell me if your coming up to Scotland! Especially if it's near Glasgow! And just to let you know a 5.2 can't be a 4.5, the conversion charts are shocking! 5.2's normally play county etc.

Once Again Good Luck!

JF

Edit: Just read your blog and imo it was hilarious! Please keep it up!

Moz 01-24-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonnyf (Post 2034393)
Hi Moz, Firstly, Good luck!

Please tell me if your coming up to Scotland! Especially if it's near Glasgow! And just to let you know a 5.2 can't be a 4.5, the conversion charts are shocking! 5.2's normally play county etc.

Once Again Good Luck!

JF

Hi Jonny

You think 5.2's and 5.1's are better than 4.5's? I would agree with you there.

My UK rating is a bit weird as I have spent a number of years over in the US and only played tournaments over here late 2007. If my results continue I should be going up to 5.1 next round. The US system baffles me although I always used to have a couple of terrible results (hangovers etc) which didn't help.

I nearly entered the Scottish Veterans Indoor Champs which are in Glasgow..shame I didn't now.

Do you play tournaments etc? How's the scene up there? There was a guy in this area down from Scotland for 2 weeks cause he couldn't get any tournaments up there.

Jonnyf 01-24-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moz (Post 2034413)
Hi Jonny

You think 5.2's and 5.1's are better than 4.5's? I would agree with you there.

My UK rating is a bit weird as I have spent a number of years over in the US and only played tournaments over here late 2007. If my results continue I should be going up to 5.1 next round. The US system baffles me although I always used to have a couple of terrible results (hangovers etc) which didn't help.

I nearly entered the Scottish Veterans Indoor Champs which are in Glasgow..shame I didn't now.

Do you play tournaments etc? How's the scene up there? There was a guy in this area down from Scotland for 2 weeks cause he couldn't get any tournaments up there.

Ahhh, If you'd only entered that Vets tourny! There's quite a few junior tournaments up here but I'm pretty much injured about 3 weeks a month these days! Most guys I know playing for Uni's etc. seem to find tournaments but I honestly couldn't tell you what the over 35's scene is like .....being part of the LTA system though,I'm sure it's pretty...well terrible:).Please do tell me if you come up here, especially for a tournament I'll get a Moz fan section going! Or if you ever fancy lowering your level to hit with a lanky 16 year old I'll be there :wink:

Moz 01-24-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonnyf (Post 2034445)
Ahhh, If you'd only entered that Vets tourny! There's quite a few junior tournaments up here but I'm pretty much injured about 3 weeks a month these days! Most guys I know playing for Uni's etc. seem to find tournaments but I honestly couldn't tell you what the over 35's scene is like .....being part of the LTA system though,I'm sure it's pretty...well terrible:).Please do tell me if you come up here, especially for a tournament I'll get a Moz fan section going! Or if you ever fancy lowering your level to hit with a lanky 16 year old I'll be there :wink:

Mate - if you look up lanky in the dictionary you'll see a picture of me!! I'd definitely be up for a hit.

I'm playing a lot of open events as well so am not restricted to over 35's. I haven't seen anything else in Scotland to be honest.

What sort of injuries are you struggling with?

dpfrazier 01-24-2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Good luck with your tennis odyssey!

The best tip I can give you is to ramp this effort up slowly, and see how your body reacts. Most full-time tennis players have built up a solid base of playing tennis and training every day over many years. You're trying to circumvent this step, or at least accelerate it greatly.

Bottom line - be careful about burnout, both physical and mental...

Moz 01-24-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpfrazier (Post 2034467)

Bottom line - be careful about burnout, both physical and mental...

Thanks for that. Very wise words and something I've been a victim of in the past. I've got a bit carried away already to be honest..!

Jonnyf 01-24-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moz (Post 2034461)
Mate - if you look up lanky in the dictionary you'll see a picture of me!! I'd definitely be up for a hit.

I'm playing a lot of open events as well so am not restricted to over 35's. I haven't seen anything else in Scotland to be honest.

What sort of injuries are you struggling with?

Christ.....How long you got???
My shoulder's been playing up horrifically recently I can literally last an hour before it hurts but if you were up here I'd find a way!

I thought it was Tursunov we'd to look up to see you :shock::wink: haha
Typically Scotland eh! Miracle we've got the Best of Britain!

SJP 01-24-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moz (Post 2033681)
Thanks for the post. Ironic that I was in consultancy as well. I basically just got fed up of all the ********. I'm not missing it all. It's not the first time I have taken some time off and I haven't regretted it yet. I do feel that life is too short to spend too much time on stuff like that.

I can completely relate to your experiences as well. It's good sitting in the hot tub at the gym watching other people scampering back to work in their suit and tie.

The real challenge will be when the results turn bad and I get injured I suppose.

Funny you were in consulting. The good thing about it is its fairly easy to go back when you need the cash. Not everyone can handle that lifestyle.

I'm so happy not to have to worry about freaking billable hours.

Try not to get injured...easier said that done! And don't get too ****ed off if you don't do as well as you expect in your first tournament as a free person. I think it takes awhile to get over the work stress.