Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Wilson Trance All Court Review (Great Shoe-Highly Recommend) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=181754)

drakulie 02-18-2008 02:50 PM

Wilson Trance All Court Review (Great Shoe-Highly Recommend)

Wilson Trance All Court Review (4 out of 5 stars)

Tennis warehouse link:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/desc...N-WTACMWN.html

Taking these shoes out of the box was a pleasant surprise. Although they are not flashy looking like some other manufacturer shoes, they have an appealing look to those who enjoy a shoe that is classic looking with a bit of modern mixed in. Coming from the Nike Oscillates, I immediately enjoyed the look of the shoe. I slipped them on and found the shoe to be true to size.

I received the shoes on 2/1/08 and have logged in well over 40 hours of play in them on both hard courts and har-tru. During this time play has included playing sets to intense drilling with players ranging from 4.0 to pro level. Some of these hitting sessions lasted over 3 hours. I also wore these shoes exclusively for 5 days (up to 3 hours a day) during the Checket Cup Les Grandes Dammes Ladies Tourney, where I spent time going from court to court taking photos of the tourney. The shoes were always comfortable to wear on and off the court.

Break in time was minimal ( 1 to 2 hours). In order to soften up the leather and mesh, I wore the shoes for approximately an hour to simply loosen up the material before hitting the courts. Once I hit the courts I found a shoe with adequate cushioning, especially in the heel area, and a shoe that was not too heavy. Although they do not have a lot of cushioning when compared to shoes like Nike that sport a lot of cushion, they do on the other hand provide a more “true feel” that enables you to better sense what your feet are doing underneath you. The Wilson Trance AC are definitely better suited to players that prefer a “low to the ground” feel.

As stated above, there is less cushioning in the toe area, which results in a more low-to-the ground ride, which I really enjoyed. The arch of the shoe provides minimal lift to your foot, so for those who feel a lot of discomfort with this type of style, you may want to get an arch support.

The outer toe area sports a thick rubber outsole that wraps around the entire toe area of the shoes and adds both support and protection. This padding comes in very handy for those who are “toe draggers”. I for one found this to be one of the best features of the shoe, and did not feel one toe get bruised.

The other notable feature of the shoe is the outer mid section which has plastic lateral supports. I found the lateral supports of the shoe to be excellent. I did not have any problems with my ankles feeling wobbly or “giving” when making quick stops, and then changing direction. I also found no “slippage” when abruptly stopping. That is to say, “my foot did not slide around inside the shoe”.

The traction of the shoe is excellent on hard courts, and as good as any other shoe I have tried. On the other hand, the traction is “too good” on har-tru. Because it sticks so much, and the treading is so deep and pronounced you find yourself constantly smacking the side of the shoe to get all the dirt out of the treads. Still, the shoe performed very well as a hybrid between hard courts and har-tru.

After 60 + hour of wearing them, the outer material of the shoe is still very stable. The leather has softened up enough to not be too stiff, but has held together very well. Sometimes the leather on tennis shoes becomes too soft and begins to lack that extra support and protection. Not on this shoe. Additionally, the outer treads show virtually no wear on them.

I have definitely enjoyed wearing these shoes, and if it weren’t for the fact that I have close to 20 pair of oscillates remaining, I would absolutely switch to this shoe. I will continue to use these shoes exclusively until they wear out. From the looks of it, that will be a long time from now. It has everything I like in a shoe:

1. Low to the ground feel,
2. Adequate cushioning in the heel, and all-around comfort
3. Excellent lateral support,
4. Excellent traction,
5. Excellent protection in the toe area, and a
6. Classic look and design.

The only real minus I found in the shoe is the mid section not being high enough, resulting in having to wear arch supports.

I want to thank TW for choosing me to write a review of these shoes, and thank Wilson for providing an excellent product at a cheap price compared to other shoes on the market.

To read the review of other play-testers click on the links provided:

Kaptain Karl:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=180677

TheShaun
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=180594

goober
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...=wilson+trance

Craig Sheppard
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=181347

bad_call 02-18-2008 05:18 PM

thanks for the pics and comments. imo - best looking wilson shoe i've seen in a long time.

one question: do u feel they are adequately ventilated? looks like they are from the pics but just wanted your opinion. thanks.

drakulie 02-18-2008 05:38 PM

^^^ That is one of the areas I didn't touch on my review because I wear very thick socks (thorlos) when I play, so it is hard to give an accurate representation related to ventilation. However, for me, I felt they were adequate and comparable to the Oscillates.

I also agree they are the nicest Wilsons I have seen in quite some time. Many spectators and players at the Checket Cup made positive comments about the looks fo the shoe, and wanted to know where I got them as they had never seen them before.

TonyB 02-18-2008 06:12 PM

Very nice review. I'm impressed, both with your coverage of the shoe and its performance.

I may have to make the move from my Wildcards to the Trance and see how I like it. I never did like the Opens.

The only constructive criticism I can provide about your review is that it would have been great to post a link to the shoe on TW's website.

drakulie 02-18-2008 06:17 PM

Thanks TonyB. I forgot about posting that link. Will do it now.

Babb 03-01-2008 04:59 PM

Drak, thanks a ton for the in-depth review. I've been considering trying out these shoes and also the Oscillates. Your review has been the deciding factor and I will order a pair of these as soon as I start wearing out my Opens (which will not be long...).

goober 03-01-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 2100077)

I also agree they are the nicest Wilsons I have seen in quite some time. Many spectators and players at the Checket Cup made positive comments about the looks fo the shoe, and wanted to know where I got them as they had never seen them before.

I am still wearing mine. Wore them today in my match with wao from the TW boards.

Hah the comments I got were

From the younger guys-"Hey why are you wearing those old man's shoes?", " I thought you were barricade fo life!"

From the older guys, "I am glad you are getting some sensible shoes, not those moonwalkers" (I use to wear some silver SHT 304s)

Babb 03-01-2008 05:45 PM

^^^^^
Hahaha, that's pretty stereotypical...

drakulie 03-03-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babb (Post 2128457)
Drak, thanks a ton for the in-depth review. I've been considering trying out these shoes and also the Oscillates. Your review has been the deciding factor and I will order a pair of these as soon as I start wearing out my Opens (which will not be long...).

You are welcome. Glad to hear the review helped you out. Did you read the other posters reviews as well??

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 2128468)
I am still wearing mine. Wore them today in my match with wao from the TW boards.

Hah the comments I got were

From the younger guys-"Hey why are you wearing those old man's shoes?", " I thought you were barricade fo life!"

From the older guys, "I am glad you are getting some sensible shoes, not those moonwalkers" (I use to wear some silver SHT 304s)

I'm still wearing mine as well. I really like the shoe. Very comfortable, and performance is great.

Funny the responses you are getting from the different ages. LOL

Babb 03-03-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 2132448)
You are welcome. Glad to hear the review helped you out. Did you read the other posters reviews as well??

Yes, at one time or another. Yours seemed to be the most applicable to myself as you like the low to the ground and lightweight feel also. The fact that you compared them to the Oscillates was just entirely too coincidental to ignore.

Drak, I know I've been confrontational towards you before, but am asking forgiveness. You contribute more to the the boards than I do, and I owe it to you for providing everyone with help like this.

drakulie 03-03-2008 04:10 PM

LOL Babb>>> no worries. We are all conforntational with someone on the boards from time to time. I know I have been many times. It's always great to discuss differing opinions. It adds color to the boards, and your contributions are much appreciated.

Thanks, and I hope the shoes work out for you.

Babb 03-03-2008 04:13 PM

^^^^
Thanks, Drak.

*This completely off-topic sob story has now concluded*

symon_say 03-05-2008 08:48 AM

Nice review i just order mine.

drakulie 03-05-2008 02:14 PM

symon say, glad the review helped. Let us know how you like the shoes..

Good luck.

Babb 03-13-2008 09:30 AM

Update on my shoe status--

I just ordered some Trance All Courts. However, some string I ordered with them is on back order, so it'll be at least a week before I'm wearing them. I'll tell my thoughts about them then.

EDIT-- I cancelled the back ordered item, so they shipped earlier than expected. That explains how I got the shoes a day after I said it would be at least a week... lol.

drakulie 03-13-2008 04:30 PM

Thanks for the update. Let us know how you like them, and if you could also compare them to your current shoes.

robkat 03-13-2008 05:24 PM

Drak, What an excellent review ! It is very well written, flows very nice and is good read. Good job !

rorourboat320 03-13-2008 05:44 PM

thanks for the feedback. i was actually looking into this shoe and now i think i might order them myself. great review!

slice bh compliment 03-13-2008 06:43 PM

The TRANCE. Oooooh.

What's up with Wilson and the hokey names?
Sledgehammer, HYPERcarbon, Trance. Spicy Ruby. Blade. Factor. Code. They think that makes people curious. Feel special to buy them?

I know they are known as a heck of a marketing company...and they move some units. So, is it just me who thinks they're a little cheesy? AM I being cantankerous here?

Wilson Ultra, Ultra 2, Pro Staff, Kramer, Advantage ... names like that spoke to me. But Trance? I'm not saying they need to re-use those names. I am saying they need to get a little less new-agey and hokey. At least for men's products.

I liked the FILA Rad and RAD 2.
I like the Babolat Team All Court III. Cool name.
The Yonex SHT....not so much.
Seriously, TRANCE? Do they really think that name will appeal to men?Sorry. Though it does look like a good shoe.

Babb 03-14-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 2157866)
Thanks for the update. Let us know how you like them, and if you could also compare them to your current shoes.

Will do! They should be here perhaps tomorrow? If not tomorrow, then Monday. Comparing the two won't be a problem at all, as I've had three pairs of Open I's. And now I'm saying goodbye since they're being discontinued... and since the durability of them sucks. Lol.