Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Who is the WORST commentator?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=183)

Shaolin 02-21-2004 05:29 AM

Who is the WORST commentator??

We can settle this once and for all. Sorry if who you hate isnt on this list but you can write them in. Pesonally I have to say Mal Washington right now because, although he doesnt annoy me as much outright like Carillo or P Mac but he does it more passive-aggressively, by NEVER saying anything interesting or useful, and pointing out only the most painfully obviously things. He wont say anything at all until 45 minutes into the match then its "...break point, Roddick..." and then you dont hear him again until someone misses a short ball from 3 feet behind the net, and then with his amazing insight he will add "...you GOTTA make that..."

Mackay is on there because while sometimes he makes interesting comments, his voice annoys me to death for some reason.

Courier I putting in both polls (best and worst) because he says interesting things and has good insight, but serenading Roddick just doesnt sit well with me.

ohplease 02-21-2004 06:44 AM

Dick Enberg gets a nod for his extreme lack of connection to the sport, but the worst BY FAR is Johnny Mac. He's simply not professional, and it shows. I can't remember how often I've thought "SHUT UP ALREADY" while watching USA's Flushing coverage.

I've also never actually heard him, but rumor has it Pat Cash is quite bad as well.

borisboris 02-21-2004 08:32 AM

:shock: THE ALL TIME WORST = PAM SHRIVER!! My ears bleed at the sound of her voice. I start to feel as though I'm sucking on lemons during her quiefs. Then Malvai WA - he might be a nice guy but I don't care when the camera is on - his insight is bland and he's not very professional in delivery. The worst is when he's in Europe with a Jensen doing the fall Masters for ESPN.

Shaolin 02-21-2004 08:51 AM

Boris--
sorry, I dont know how I could leave out Pam Shriver..uGGGH

I knew there would be some people I left out...

@wright 02-21-2004 10:39 AM

Jim Lampley-the guy doesn't know ***** about tennis.

Ratty 02-21-2004 11:07 AM

Pat Cash is a complete jerk. You're lucky you don't have him in the US. He does his best to ruin Wimbledon every year on the BBC.

His opinions are complete c**p (a recent one was that Federer would go nowhere at the 2004 Aussie Open because his girlfriend was too bossy), and he's only interested in self promotion.

@wright 02-21-2004 11:13 AM

I've come to the conclusion that there are just too damn many to choose from. I like Courier, mal washington, and Jmac pretty well, and there are a few that are complete jokes such as jim "i know less about tennis than most intermediates off the street" lampley, mary "i used to be a man" carillo, luke "i'm a better commentator than a player, and I suck at commentating" jenson, and Pat "did someone just say Andy?" McEnroe.

BreakPoint 02-21-2004 11:40 AM

I think Jim Courier is the best of the lot. Very insightful and intelligent commentary, obviously a man talking from years of experience at the highest levels of the pro tour. Mal Washington is OK, except he conducts the worst post match interviews. His questions are dumb, obvious, and bland, never insightful or thought-provoking. The worst, however, may be that guy with glasses who used to be on CBS, but now on ESPN. I think his name is Pat Ryan or something. During the Aus Open, he was constantly getting the players names mixed up and the scores wrong. Didn't seem like he knew what he was doing or where he was.

BTW, did any of you sense some animosity building between P Mac and Cliffy? It seems like they're cutting into each other and knocking each other down more and more with each passing day. Perhaps they're just getting sick and tired of being near each other so often?

Moumine 02-21-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty
Pat Cash is a complete jerk...<snip>...and he's only interested in self promotion.

It's not just Pat Cash, we're also forced to tolerate the uppermost unctuous peon cnut Sue Barker.

I've had the misfortune of meeting Sue Barker, over dinner, and she sucks harder than a full-on nuclear-powered sucky thing. The instensity of her Henman-eulogising literally knows no bounds, even at table, and she's extremely dull too.

Anonymous 02-21-2004 03:55 PM

Chris Evert, Tracy Austin, and Pam "Will you just look at Venus, she's as good as I thought she would be when I saw her in Compton" Shriver.

guernica1 02-21-2004 04:12 PM

P Mac was actually better before becoming Davis Cup captain. Obviously he has conflict of interests now.

Even Magic Johnson in the TNT booth can be more objective about the Lakers!

Now, Pam Shriver is probably the worst. Closely followed by PMac and Mal.

A guy who could actually make a living in this field is, don't laugh, Justin Gimelstob. He is actually pretty good for someone who just started doing these sorts of things.

James Brown 02-21-2004 05:48 PM

cliff drysdale?.... not on the list...WHY? I think its obvious this ****** is the worst i've ever heard. oh roddick just got broken by routine passing shot, YEAH BUT THATS GREAT PLAY BY RODDICK. .....so damn lame. Put him out to pasture. Please, thanks.

david aames 02-21-2004 06:29 PM

Enberg -- at his best while keeping an eye on NFL scores... That ESPN crossover guy is out of this world too... forgot his name.

I don't really understand all the fuzz about Mal Washington. He's a smooth talker, never really offensive unless he starts bragging how he got to play Agassi and almost got to a tie in the first set. At least he got to play a Wimbledon final...

Camilio Pascual 02-23-2004 09:32 AM

Mal is the worst, half of what he says is a statement of the obvious.

Brian Purdie 02-23-2004 12:11 PM

Excellent, excellent use of the polling feature, Shoalin. I applaud your genius in helping me expose these TV know it alls.

galain 02-23-2004 12:18 PM

Johnny Mac was paid a six figure some to come down here for the Oz Open and commentate for Channel 7. He wasn't worth 100th of what they paid him.

And Ratty has it right about Pat Cash - his commentary usually involves "when I won Wimbledon...When I did this....When I did that...."

Would like to hear Courier, never had the luck to. I like some of the older guys - John Barret I always enjoy listening to, Fred Stolle and Tony Trabert too. I thought Martina Hingis did a surprisingly good job in the commentary booth this year down here - hopefully we'll get to hear more from her.

polakosaur 02-23-2004 02:37 PM

clif drysdale, for every intelligent comment he makes he makes another 30 stupid ones, the guys has these old cliche's that only he understands too

tennis-n-sc 02-23-2004 04:39 PM

Pam Shriver, for all the reasons previously mentioned. I would frankly just rather watch the match and listen to the crowd than have her comment. But this :? is also the kind of survey where you somehow need more than one vote since there are so many deserving.

Brent Pederson 02-23-2004 05:42 PM

I don't know about you, but when I hear Chris Evert (luckily, it's not frequent) speak, I immediately feel the strong urge to administer a dope slap. It's the combination of the whiney thin nature of her voice with her superior air that just gets to me. I can feel my arm wanting to wind up as I type this...

chad shaver 02-23-2004 06:05 PM

Sorry, but I have to disagree with all of you. My vote goes to Joel Myers. If you've ever heard his commentary, you'll understand. There's a wonderful argument for everyone that has been mentioned, though.