Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Does Weight Lifting Make a Better Athlete? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=183566)

JRstriker12 02-29-2008 07:42 AM

Does Weight Lifting Make a Better Athlete?

An intersting article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/he...pagewanted=all

Seems like for the most part, weight training does benefit athletic performance (duh!!), but I don't know why they seem to focus so much on long distance runners. Yeah, weight lifting may or may not improve your marathon time, but look at the benefits of weight training for so many other sports.

Rickson 02-29-2008 07:50 AM

Again with this thread?

The_Spartan 02-29-2008 07:53 AM

This is one of those No **** sherlock threads; drinking water is good for you ?

JRstriker12 02-29-2008 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickson (Post 2125766)
Again with this thread?

Just wanted to post the article. Not arguing anything.

stormholloway 02-29-2008 09:52 AM

If he has a new NY Times article then it's a new issue altogether.

Then again, that link didn't work for me.

chess9 02-29-2008 09:52 AM

Well, I'm glad you posted the article. This is an old article of faith-that lifting doesn't help your sport-in a few circles still. I hear the question all the time from runners, cylists, triathletes.

The best reason to lift is because it makes you strong. Strong people resist injuries, can defend themselves, including running if necessary, and LOOK much better. ;) I'll take a woman with a hard body any day...or night! ;)

-Robert

JRstriker12 02-29-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormholloway (Post 2126012)
If he has a new NY Times article then it's a new issue altogether.

Then again, that link didn't work for me.

Try this link - registration may be required: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/he...on/28BEST.html

Rickson 02-29-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRstriker12 (Post 2125824)
Just wanted to post the article. Not arguing anything.

Not arguing, just wondering why you posted the same thread from odds & ends.

same thread

JRstriker12 02-29-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickson (Post 2126052)
Not arguing, just wondering why you posted the same thread from odds & ends.

same thread

Oh! I didn't see that thread. Besides, I chose the proper forum ;)

Rickson 02-29-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRstriker12 (Post 2126073)
Oh! I didn't see that thread. Besides, I chose the proper forum ;)

Yes that's true.

Rickson 03-05-2008 07:24 PM

Almost every modern day athlete lifts weights so you'd better believe there's a connection.

CanadianChic 03-05-2008 07:25 PM

I think it depends on the sport.

MegacedU 03-05-2008 07:26 PM

Lifting weights will be beneficial, but you must remember to stretch afterwards, otherwise you lose flexibility which is also important for a solid non-injury prone athlete.

CanadianChic 03-05-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegacedU (Post 2138849)
Lifting weights will be beneficial, but you must remember to stretch afterwards, otherwise you lose flexibility which is also important for a solid non-injury prone athlete.

I agree, but will also add that I feel stretching prior to lifting is as if not more important. Which brings to mind Yoga or Pilates as a general strengthening and toning (as opposed to bulking) of the muscles.

Rickson 03-05-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianChic (Post 2138865)
I agree, but will also add that I feel stretching prior to lifting is as if not more important. Which brings to mind Yoga or Pilates as a general strengthening and toning (as opposed to bulking) of the muscles.

CC, I hate to tell you this, but...

CanadianChic 03-05-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickson (Post 2138889)
CC, I hate to tell you this, but...

Haha. I knew you would spot this and perhaps have a little something to offer on the benefits of weight lifting Ricky. What would you do on this forum without my constant attention? ;)

Rickson 03-05-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianChic (Post 2138894)
Haha. I knew you would spot this and perhaps have a little something to offer on the benefits of weight lifting Ricky. What would you do on this forum without my constant attention? ;)

Here's the thing. Static stretching is not recommended prior to lifting weights due to its relaxation of the muscles. Dynamic stretching has been recommended in recent times, but that's sort of an advanced type of stretching that gymnasts and martial artists use. As a trainer, I'd have my clients ride the stationary bike or jump on a treadmill for a few minutes before our training sessions. The warmup prepared the muscles for the rigors of weight training and stretching was done after a quick bike or treadmill which we call the cooldown. In summary: Warm up on the treadmill or stationary bike, lift weights, cool down on the bike or treadmill once again, and finally we stretch.

CanadianChic 03-05-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickson (Post 2138939)
Here's the thing. Static stretching is not recommended prior to lifting weights due to its relaxation of the muscles. Dynamic stretching has been recommended in recent times, but that's sort of an advanced type of stretching that gymnasts and martial artists use. As a trainer, I'd have my clients ride the stationary bike or jump on a treadmill for a few minutes before our training sessions. The warmup prepared the muscles for the rigors of weight training and stretching was done after a quick bike or treadmill which we call the cooldown. In summary: Warm up on the treadmill or stationary bike, lift weights, cool down on the bike or treadmill once again, and finally we stretch.

Okay. I won't dispute that as I'm not a weight lifter by any stretch of the imagination. I stand humbly corrected.

Rickson 03-05-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianChic (Post 2138960)
Okay. I won't dispute that as I'm not a weight lifter by any stretch of the imagination. I stand humbly corrected.

I just don't want you to hurt yourself. Know what I mean? ;)