Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   More People Play Tennis than Golf? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=183569)

tfm1973 02-29-2008 08:28 AM

More People Play Tennis than Golf?
 
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/ny...2a7&ei=5087%0A

According to this Feb. 2008 NY Times article, the numbers of people who play golf has dropped from 30 million to 26 million. Also the number of golfers who play 25 times or more a year dropped from 6.9 million to 4.6 million.

This article: http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/askth...s.aspx?id=1430 says that in 2005 the number of people who play tennis was nearly 25 million. And 5.2 million play tennis 21 times a year or more.

Now seeing as how those numbers are 3 years old -- it's possible that tennis is more popular than golf in the U.S. It's possible though that tennis numbers like golf is also declining. Apparantly studies are showing that more young Americans are fat and don't like physical activities of any kind.

Maybe one day they'll figure out that 1 single wasteful golf course equals a couple hundred tennis courts. And while tennis isn't a cheap sport -- it's still far less expensive than golf and a number of other sports. Go tennis! :)

zapvor 02-29-2008 08:48 AM

haha. i think someone else posted this already somewhere else.

yea all that green fairway stuff could be grass courts. or hard. or clay. damn tiger woods

thejuice 02-29-2008 10:16 AM

Well I play both but for different reasons. Tennis is a great sport for exercise and for a certain amount of fellowship but golf is probably the best sport for building friendships because you actually have a lot of time to talk. You could actually get a good workout in golf if you walk a course. A 6000 yd golf course would be like walking almost 5 miles (not to mention the resistance of carrying a golf bag). If you don't play the game you wouldn't understand but those that play know what I'm talking about.

Cindysphinx 03-01-2008 09:30 AM

I made a serious effort to take up golf in 2005-2006. They had a great lesson program at the local public course. I took weekly 30-minute lessons from October through March (they have covered driving ranges with heaters). I bought clubs and shoes. I arrived early or stayed late to practice.

But you know what? Golf has some problems. The biggest problem is that you are under constant pressure to hurry up. Hurry up and set up and tee off. Hurry up and find your ball. Hurry up from the cart to the ball. Hurry up to sink the putt. Hurry up to replace the flag and get on to the next hole. Geez, we have even had a course marshal come up to us and tell us to pick up the pace even though we are already scrambling.

Tennis has no time pressure. If it is a public court, you can camp there all day if you want. If it is indoor time, no one else has the right to rush you off the court during your time.

Even tennis viewership is more enjoyable than golf viewership. I had the pleasure of attending a big local golf tournament. Tiger was there. My husband and I set up shop at the green on the third hole and watched the golfers play that hole. Over and over and over. Compare that to tennis, where you have a seat and you watch the entire match.

I didn't play golf at all in 2007, but I have promised my husband I will make a concerted effort to play some golf in 2008.

I would be lying if I said I was looking forward to scrambling around a golf course while impatient golfers tap their toes waiting for me to find my ball and get the hell out of their way.

hoodjem 03-01-2008 09:41 AM

Tennis is excellent exercise and wonderful Zen meditation.

"Golf is a good walk ruined."--Mark Twain

Cindysphinx 03-01-2008 10:21 AM

What's amusing is that they talk about people playing tennis 21 times a year. So, less than twice a month? By that definition, even my husband qualifies as a tennis player!

Honestly, I don't know if it would be any fun to play twice a month. It would be so frustrating not to be able to hit the ball well because of all of the layers of rust.

Cnote 03-02-2008 05:35 AM

I agree with Cindysphinx. I play golf occassionally but really got po'ed a couple of years ago b/c during a round of golf I was repeatedly told to hurry up although there were two groups of four in front of me. My partner and I were walking the course and still caught up to the other groups! Needles to say that when you pay good money to relax you don't want to be rushed unnecessarily.

Topaz 03-02-2008 05:37 AM

The two absolutely do not compare in my mind.

For me, golf = zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

smiley74 03-02-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 2127997)
What's amusing is that they talk about people playing tennis 21 times a year. So, less than twice a month? By that definition, even my husband qualifies as a tennis player!

Honestly, I don't know if it would be any fun to play twice a month. It would be so frustrating not to be able to hit the ball well because of all of the layers of rust.

I agree with you about the twice a month. But..... my friend works in the "corporate world" and it's a big thing to hit socially. They like to do those mixed round robin events where you bring a dish and have cocktails!! Plus, there is a good tennis culture at her corporation so people play just enough to not look stupid out there in case a collegue asks them to play!!

Loco4Tennis 03-02-2008 07:59 AM

all ive got to say is this, you cannot call it a sport if you can drink beer while your at the court (as in golf).
try that nonsense in tennis and your gonna have broken glass over the place
now throwing a couple back before you start is a personal choise, but your gonna know whos been drinking when they line up on the wrong side to receive the serve :-)
oh yeah, i also hatehow much room golf takes up as well
as for the coment about american being fat, the US government wants people to exercise more but they will reduce or not maintain the facilities for such activities, thats why people arer staying at home and playing wii instead of out on a tennis court

tzinc 03-02-2008 08:04 AM

I played golf a few times and it's NOT FUN at all. It's like a job.

Tennis is incredible FUN and much more like a game!

Loco4Tennis 03-02-2008 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzinc (Post 2129569)
I played golf a few times and it's NOT FUN at all. It's like a job.

Tennis is incredible FUN and much more like a game!

nah, playing golf is fun,,, until you hit a house and you have to pay for the window :-)
but i agree with your opinion as well, playing tennis is much better

Cindysphinx 03-02-2008 09:25 AM

Is it fun?

Eh. It's more fun than scrubbing toilets or mowing the lawn.

I guess that's something . . .

fe6250 03-03-2008 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco4Tennis (Post 2129560)
all ive got to say is this, you cannot call it a sport if you can drink beer while your at the court (as in golf).
try that nonsense in tennis and your gonna have broken glass over the place
now throwing a couple back before you start is a personal choise, but your gonna know whos been drinking when they line up on the wrong side to receive the serve :-)

That's why they invented canned beer - no glass! Also - if you take the beer out of play, how can I enjoy mixed doubles? OK - J/K!

tfm1973 03-03-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fe6250 (Post 2131550)
That's why they invented canned beer - no glass! Also - if you take the beer out of play, how can I enjoy mixed doubles? OK - J/K!


i'm waiting for the beer manufacturers to make beer in a box. remember when people use to laugh at wine that came in a box. and lo and behold -- wine in a box is in vogue because it is convenient and keeps better.

beer in a box would be nice with a little spigot. this invention would also be handy:



pouch full of beer and you wear it while playing. maybe if you're better than your opponent you play them while wearing this and drinking between points.

Loco4Tennis 03-03-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fe6250 (Post 2131550)
That's why they invented canned beer - no glass! Also - if you take the beer out of play, how can I enjoy mixed doubles? OK - J/K!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfm1973 (Post 2131839)
i'm waiting for the beer manufacturers to make beer in a box. remember when people use to laugh at wine that came in a box. and lo and behold -- wine in a box is in vogue because it is convenient and keeps better.

beer in a box would be nice with a little spigot. this invention would also be handy:



pouch full of beer and you wear it while playing. maybe if you're better than your opponent you play them while wearing this and drinking between points.

problem with drinking and playing on a tennis court, is thta you cannot hide the pucke puddles as easily as you can on golf, when playing golf, just go barf on the tall grass and your set, when your in a hardcourt tennis court the doubles alley is not a good spot :-)

tfm1973 03-03-2008 09:08 AM

that is true. if you puke on the court i'm not sure if you would consider that part of the court and if you can play a let.

i still think nothing says pwnage like wearing 20 pounds of beer on your belly and drinking while laying down a world of azz whupping.

fe6250 03-03-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfm1973 (Post 2131906)
that is true. if you puke on the court i'm not sure if you would consider that part of the court and if you can play a let.

i still think nothing says pwnage like wearing 20 pounds of beer on your belly and drinking while laying down a world of azz whupping.

I'm just wondering if you can legally call a 'let' for puking or if your beer pouch falls off. Interesting new rules for the USTA would need to be established! ;-)

JRstriker12 03-03-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfm1973 (Post 2131839)
i'm waiting for the beer manufacturers to make beer in a box. remember when people use to laugh at wine that came in a box. and lo and behold -- wine in a box is in vogue because it is convenient and keeps better.

beer in a box would be nice with a little spigot. this invention would also be handy:



pouch full of beer and you wear it while playing. maybe if you're better than your opponent you play them while wearing this and drinking between points.

What type of self respecting, beer Drinking man has a cut 6-pack like that? If you want a REAL beer belly, get it through the hard work of lifting all those cans, not thorugh some fake pouch you wear. ;)

TFM, wouldn't beer in a box be kind of flat?

chess9 04-15-2008 05:01 PM

The Scots invented golf to make them happy to go back to work.

Any game that requires that much perfection can only be described as masochistic.

-Robert


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse