Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   If you don't already, start doing burpees (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=183820)

ogruskie 03-01-2008 09:17 PM

If you don't already, start doing burpees

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm

This exercise will seriously kick your *** when you first start. I've been doing it for a while (still in beginner routine), but it has made my entire body significantly stronger without adding too much muscle. Picture an ice cube melting in a microwave. That ice cube represents your body fat.

I'm serious, several weeks of doing burpees will not only make your body stronger, but you'll melt sooo much fat. Just try it.

iradical18 03-01-2008 11:20 PM

Burpees are awesome and very, very tiring.

ogruskie 03-01-2008 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iradical18 (Post 2129037)
Burpees are awesome and very, very tiring.

All the more reason to do them and get stronger...

quicken 03-02-2008 12:16 AM

Oh no... I remember this....

ogruskie 03-02-2008 10:55 AM

Whaaaaaat? No takers? This is sad.

AJTx0 03-02-2008 11:54 AM

NOT THIS?!

... Gah.

ogruskie 03-02-2008 01:01 PM

Do you guys seriously hate this exercise THAT much? I find it somewhat fun.

Phil 03-03-2008 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogruskie (Post 2129965)
Do you guys seriously hate this exercise THAT much? I find it somewhat fun.

In the military, this exercise (with push-up included) is called "Eight-count bodybuilders". I did quite a lot of these and my memory of them is not pleasant (though that's not a comment against their effectiveness). I guess they would be excellent to do for any sport, but I wouldn't base an entire fitness regimen on this one exercise as you seem to be doing.

Rickson 03-03-2008 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogruskie (Post 2128894)
If you don't already, start doing burpees
This exercise will seriously kick your *** when you first start. I've been doing it for a while (still in beginner routine), but it has made my entire body significantly stronger without adding too much muscle. Picture an ice cube melting in a microwave. That ice cube represents your body fat.

I'm serious, several weeks of doing burpees will not only make your body stronger, but you'll melt sooo much fat. Just try it.

Well, I've been drinking a lot of soda and doing those burpees for several weeks like you recommended, but I haven't seen any fat loss results.

ogruskie 03-03-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2131128)
In the military, this exercise (with push-up included) is called "Eight-count bodybuilders". I did quite a lot of these and my memory of them is not pleasant (though that's not a comment against their effectiveness). I guess they would be excellent to do for any sport, but I wouldn't base an entire fitness regimen on this one exercise as you seem to be doing.

I'm not basing my entire fitness regimen solely off burpees. I do them, and move on to other cardio workouts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickson (Post 2131458)
Well, I've been drinking a lot of soda and doing those burpees for several weeks like you recommended, but I haven't seen any fat loss results.

I'm sorry to hear that. But are burpees the only cardio exercise you're doing? Are you lifting weights? And whats your diet plan?

djokster 03-03-2008 08:24 PM

We have to do 50 of them as a warm-up for our team work-out each day (until mid-march). We then do about 3 mins of jump rope and then various lifting exercises. And THEN we play.

Rickson 03-03-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogruskie (Post 2133379)
I'm sorry to hear that. But are burpees the only cardio exercise you're doing? Are you lifting weights? And whats your diet plan?

Burpees are considered cardio? I thought it was just a way to release gas.

vince916 03-03-2008 10:14 PM

Seems like a decent way to warmup prior to lifting.

stormholloway 03-03-2008 11:28 PM

I have trouble fitting this sort of thing into my weights routine.