Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Schedule for weight training and........ (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=188641)

tnkGod4tns 03-28-2008 06:07 PM

Schedule for weight training and........

tennis?? I have been lifting weights for about 20 years now, just can't get a good schedule of weight training and tennis. I know I don't want to play tennis after lifting. How do you guys schedule your tennis and weights without feeling sluggish on the court. I usually lift 3 times a week and split the muscle groups (chest and triceps, back and biceps, shoulder and legs). Thinking about condensing the lifting to 2 times a week so I can have recovery time for tennis. Thanks.

hewittfan3 03-28-2008 06:53 PM

I kind of just do it whenever. I dont really notice it much when I play tennis. This could be because I'm probably a little younger so i might have more recoverey time.

But I would think if you took a day break in between your workout and playing tennis that it would help a little bit. Hope I could help a little?

redsoxrock930 03-28-2008 09:52 PM

if i were you i might put shoulder in with chest, make biceps and triceps their own day, back its own day and legs its own day. however, i don't know if you have time for this

Rickson 03-28-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnkGod4tns (Post 2200522)
tennis?? I have been lifting weights for about 20 years now, just can't get a good schedule of weight training and tennis. I know I don't want to play tennis after lifting. How do you guys schedule your tennis and weights without feeling sluggish on the court. I usually lift 3 times a week and split the muscle groups (chest and triceps, back and biceps, shoulder and legs). Thinking about condensing the lifting to 2 times a week so I can have recovery time for tennis. Thanks.

Maybe your push/push, pull/pull routine is wearing you out. I tried that routine many years ago and it exhausted me so I do the opposite now. I can do chest and biceps or back and triceps because if I did chest and triceps on the same day, I wouldn't want to play tennis either. My triceps would be drained and the same would go for my biceps if I trained them along with back. If you believe that keeping the blood flow in the same area is the best thing for optimum growth, you'd be guilty of overworking that area which would hinder growth, not help it. Try the opposite bodypart workout. It'll save your muscles from exhaustion.

NotAtTheNet 03-29-2008 05:01 AM

You might be overtraining. I'd limit myself to a total 8 sets, for large muscle groups (chest, back ,legs) and 6 for the rest (shoulders, bi's, tri's). You might be wasting sets warming up too much. For example for chest, if you do 3 sets for flat bench (2 warm ups sets at 135, 165, 1 max set weight for 225). Then you go and do incline bench, you do the same 3 sets (2 warm ups, 1 max). Why do you need to re warm up your chest, if its already warmed up from flat bench? Do 1 set for weight and exercise acclimation, and then go for your max weight for 8 reps. Though this should be fine if you were just working out, I limit my sets when i'm playing alot of tennis. Too much recovery time and it makes my tennis game weak.