Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What a tough point! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=191515)

psYcon 04-11-2008 05:19 PM

What a tough point!

I played a league match this week against a "pusher" and decided to play his game for a change. Usually I play very aggressively, starting out with a kick serve and then following it up with a strong crosscourt forehand, but this guy kept moonballing making it difficult to hit clean winners.

Anyway so long story short in the first set the score was tied at 4-4 and then we had this GINORMOUS point full of backhand slices and weak forehands, I think we exchanged at least 30+ times until he finally netted the ball and collapsed from fatigue. From there on it was all downhill for the poor guy and I ended up winning that set and the next one I bageled him. Just thought I'd get that off my chest, beating a pusher gives me immense satisfaction :)

smoothtennis 04-11-2008 05:30 PM

Congrats. The only thing better than beating a pusher, is wearing one down to a frazzle, that's just as hard, LOL!! Good job.

psYcon 04-11-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothtennis (Post 2245199)
Congrats. The only thing better than beating a pusher, is wearing one down to a frazzle, that's just as hard, LOL!! Good job.

Thanks! I was amazed at the 'pushing demon' inside of me trying to claw its way out and have a go at this guy. After the match though I was disappointed in myself for being cowardly and not playing my game, but then again a win's a win.

Tennisman912 04-12-2008 06:43 PM

psYcon,

Great Job breaking down the dreaded pusher. As you saw, the key to beating them consistently is being patient and playing your game. Easier said than done for most people. Congrats.

ten10 04-13-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psYcon (Post 2245207)
Thanks! I was amazed at the 'pushing demon' inside of me trying to claw its way out and have a go at this guy. After the match though I was disappointed in myself for being cowardly and not playing my game, but then again a win's a win.

I've had to do this. It took and excruciating 3 hours for a 6-1, 6-0 victory. I could tell in warm-up what it would take though. I had researched her too beforehand and realized she had beaten so many of the top players. So when I saw her in warm-up, I thought, how could this be? I knew they had to have become impatient and went for winners that this player got back and eventually they either over-hit or put it in the net. I was proud to have outlasted the energizer bunny and I might still have won playing "my" game. But it wouldn't have resulted in that dramatic and (slow) slam-dunk 1-0 score. I wanted that for those who would be researching me.

You weren't a coward. You played smart IMO.

samster 04-13-2008 11:21 AM

Thank you all for sharing. I am waiting for my rematch after a devastating loss to a Pusher/Counter Puncher a week ago.

doctor dennis 04-13-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psYcon (Post 2245207)

I hate it too when i have to play like a pusher to beat a pusher. It just does not feel as good as when you win playing your own game. Like you said, a win is a win!!!

smoothtennis 04-13-2008 04:00 PM

Played a guy today that come up and challenged me on court while I was practicing serves. Had not idea if he was 5.0 or 2.0. He didn't even want to warm up, just ready to serve right there.

I hadn't even hit single groundie yet, but said, sure, let's do it.

Turns out, he had a decent medium hard flat forehand, and pretty much pushed and scutter-bugged around to get points.

I took him 6-1, just playing a good solid game. However it was sooooo windy that play became increasingly difficult, almost to where it was close to impossible to set up before hitting. He was pushing badly by this time, and I decided to quit fighting this insane wind, and PUSH with him - hell, just for giggles, and good time. What the heck right?

It was so much fun!!! I just ran all over the place, and bumped balls over deep, chips, little soft slices - some high moonballs. It was a blast. All I had to do, was just run everywhere as fast as I could, and dink the ball back anyway I wanted. I even started tapping the serves in - LOL, it was killing his game too. His game completely fell apart when I started pushing, and he even started laughing out loud at one point, and said, "Aw c'mon - your'e just messin' with me now...". I gotta say - I may never do that again, but it was darn fun for a change.

dgrave2 04-13-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctor dennis (Post 2248736)
I hate it too when i have to play like a pusher to beat a pusher. It just does not feel as good as when you win playing your own game. Like you said, a win is a win!!!

It's so much nicer winning playing your own game!! I lost to a pusher 6-1 6-1 because i was too impatient and sucked haha. Then I played a one setter with a friend and won 7-6 (4). We had some great rallies so either way the tiebreaker would have went, it felt good playing a solid game.