Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Wise 2086 String Gripper Question (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=198030)

JustLeft 05-16-2008 07:44 PM

Wise 2086 String Gripper Question

Just received my Wise 2086 and put it on my Prince Neos 1000. One thing that I noticed is that the string gripper seemed to be tilted away from the control panel. I was expecting that it would be perpendicular to the floor, but it isn't. I am wondering if others that have the Wise have the same tilt to theirs? It doesn't appear that anything is bent and the box wasn't damaged in any way. Just seems odd. I checked out some of the youtube videos, and couldn't tell if any of them shared this tilted back gripper. Couldn't tell from the angle that they were filmed at.

Maybe this is as designed. Maybe this is a stupid question. I just never noticed this on any other electronic tension unit that I have seen - although the only ones I have seen were Babolat.

I will be stringing a racket tomorrow, but before I do so thought I would throw this out there. If this isn't right, then the question is how much if any would it effect string tension.

ryohazuki222 05-16-2008 07:50 PM

any pictures?

JustLeft 05-16-2008 08:14 PM

I tried but it doesn't allow me to post pictures. While I have been a lurker for a number of years, my anemic post count may be limiting me. Any suggestions on how to get around the problem? Is there a 10 post minimum before images can be posted?

LttlElvis 05-16-2008 08:19 PM

No, it should be square with the control panel.

JustLeft 05-16-2008 08:35 PM

Mine isn't. Soon as I figure out how to post a picture, I'll put one out there. The control panel itself is on a slight angle, so at least on mine it wouldn't be perfectly square to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LttlElvis (Post 2341238)
No, it should be square with the control panel.

LttlElvis 05-16-2008 08:44 PM

try going to tinypic.com for your pictures

JustLeft 05-16-2008 08:57 PM

Thanks for the tip. Worked great! in the background is a small flashlight and a statue which are sitting on flat surfaces. I may be nitpicking here, but no matter how I look at it, the gripper doesn't square to the floor or to the Prince Neos. It isn't a big variation, but it is there. I will try and take some better pictures tomorrow to show the tilt.

LttlElvis 05-16-2008 09:19 PM

I see what you mean now. Looks like your whole machine is tilted back. I think you are OK. There is a little give to the mount on your tensioning rack. Wiggle it around a little, move it forward a little, until the head is perpendicular to the floor. Then tighten the bolt.

Also check if your tensioning rack is perpendicular to the floor. I can tilt the whole machine about 3 degrees forward or backward, but this is more pronounced since I have the Gamma extender on it.

One more thing. There are 3 screws that the unit attaches to the rack sleeve. Unscrew them, take off the sleeve, and make sure it is flush. I think the head and the machine really look fine to me. The mounting sleeve or the rack itself might be off.

Try undoing these 3 screws on the back and make sure it is flush:

JustLeft 05-17-2008 03:07 AM

Took your suggestion and it seemed to help. It is still tilted, but not as much. As I said earlier the tilt of the tensioning unit is tilting back away from the control panel. I pulled the tensioning unit off the Neos and loosened then retightened all of the screws. One thing that I noticed is when I look at the rail on the 2086 (that attaches to the tension bar on the Neos) it is not parallel to the tensioning unit. You would think that would be the case. So no matter how I shift it, it doesn't shift it enough to make it perpendicular to the base of the stringing machine. It always has a slight tilt - although I can reduce the tilt by adjusting the unit as you have suggested.

LttlElvis 05-17-2008 04:21 AM

I checked on my machine and looked at it from the other end (right hand side). The gripper is perpendicular to the groove at the bottom (where you unscrew the 3 screws). Mine is right in line. The control panel does slant toward the operator. Looking at that groove on the bottom and making it the long axis of the machine, the gripper is right on line. You might have a problem and may need to give Herb a call.

If you know anyone else who has a crank machine, you may want to try it on their machine before calling, just to verify.

JustLeft 05-17-2008 05:37 AM

I am beginning to think I may be too anal about this. Mine is close. I did a tension test with a spring gauge (I know Herb says not to do this) and the tension unit seemed to be spot on. So perhaps this is no big deal. Others may not even notice the difference that I am noticing. Ah well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LttlElvis (Post 2341804)
I checked on my machine and looked at it from the other end (right hand side). The gripper is perpendicular to the groove at the bottom (where you unscrew the 3 screws). Mine is right in line. The control panel does slant toward the operator. Looking at that groove on the bottom and making it the long axis of the machine, the gripper is right on line. You might have a problem and may need to give Herb a call.

If you know anyone else who has a crank machine, you may want to try it on their machine before calling, just to verify.

JustLeft 05-17-2008 06:37 PM

Well I strung a racket using the Wise and the slight angle of the gripping unit didn't seem to cause any issues. I will call Herb on Monday just to make sure, but so far, so good. It definitely speeds up stringing on the Neos 1000. It is nice to not be constantly banging the table into the hand crank.

ryohazuki222 05-17-2008 07:32 PM

any idea why herb says not to tension test with a spring guage?

BigGriff 05-18-2008 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryohazuki222 (Post 2344468)
any idea why herb says not to tension test with a spring guage?

According to Herb, it isn't accurate enough.

JustLeft 05-18-2008 06:20 PM

My test showed the 2086 matching the spring gauge tension. Seems accurate to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGriff (Post 2344906)
According to Herb, it isn't accurate enough.