Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Wise String Gripper Problem (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=198043)

LttlElvis 05-16-2008 08:39 PM

Wise String Gripper Problem

For Wise Owners: Lately my string gripper has been giving me problems. It has been slightly marring the string as it grips. I have tried adjusting the gripper. Took it apart, and cleaned all the parts with alcohol. I just cannot figure out what part of the gripper is scratching the string.

Wise Gripper:

Removed the Gripper:

It's a lot of pieces:

Close up of parts that actually grip:

As you can see, the actual gripping portion is machine etched. Regular cranks have plates that are made of rubber to grip the strings. I always thought rubber was better because it was kind and soft to the string, yet had a positive grip. The Wise gripper seems to do the job, but lately it has been marring my strings. I cannot figure out what is doing the damage. I have cleaned all the parts very well, especially the gripping plates. I have always thought the gripping plates were a slight design flaw. I do wish they were rubber.

Sometimes I think the string might be touching those little springs or tiny posts when it grips and scratches it. I have tried placing the string away from it, but it still gets marred.

Not sure why this is something that is just now occuring.

LttlElvis 05-18-2008 12:03 PM

anyone ???

Mansewerz 05-18-2008 12:45 PM

This gives me a good question. On a constant pull electric or a crank, how do you know how much slack to give the string so that it's not pulled to tight? Does the machine just know when? It seems weird. Sorry for the hijack.

wally 05-18-2008 12:50 PM

Littel E,

You don't appear to have an adjustment screw on your gripper (its on the back and can loosen or tighen the "grip" on the string.

I had a different issue with mine (the tab holding the screw snapped off) contacted Herb and for $12 + shipping (could be more now) I recieved a new gripper for my machine with instruction on how to replace it. The instructions were excellent and I was up anbd running in about 10 min.

You'll need to send him the vesion number of you wise (on the top ) and photo's of your gripper. Tell him you want one with the adjustment screw on it

LttlElvis 05-18-2008 03:06 PM

Wally,

What version is yours? Mine is a series 9.7 and is about 2 yrs old. I thought the grippers with that little screw was an older style.

wally 05-18-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LttlElvis (Post 2347550)
Wally,

What version is yours? Mine is a series 9.7 and is about 2 yrs old. I thought the grippers with that little screw was an older style.

Mine is a bit older (9.3 or 9.5) and you may be right. Interestingly enough Prince feels the need to ad this little feature to their gripper on the crank of on the Neos. I'd still contact Herb.

I may be the only one using adjusting my grippers grip but when switching from 17g poly to 16 or 17g gut I do tend to adjust the gripper as well as the clamps, Don't want to bruise the gut......

LttlElvis 05-18-2008 05:13 PM

Well I mainly string gut. It is just recently that I am seeing slight scratches on the string. I don't know why it just started. I'll give Herb a call tomorrow.

flash9 05-21-2008 08:47 AM

This Might Help

LttlElvis - I had similar issues as you a few years ago. You can read and see more details here.
grand slam stringers.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1131509338
Try the string test, where you pull the gripper plates forward to clamp the string, if it is clamping tighter near the back then the front you have the mis-manufactured gripper plates. :-|

Good Luck

LttlElvis 05-25-2008 05:17 PM

I spoke with Herb about my problem. There is a small adjustment screw on the gripper. Over time it must have overtightened. It took a few trials but I have it gripping properly again.