Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Wise 2086 1st impression (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=199245)

hollywood9826 05-23-2008 01:59 PM

Wise 2086 1st impression

Well I finally got this thing mounted on my challenger 1. And was able to string a few frames on it. Better that the dropweight thats for sure :)

The footpedal is convient and easy to use. Others mentioned they had trouble finding with their foot, but after about 4 or 5 pulls i was not even looking down to hit it. The machine is not loud at all. I was expecting it to be worse from what I heard people saying about it.

Its only been two frames so far and I shredded one set of strings while tightening a knot cuz i dont have a good set of pliers i guess. But I have no complaints so far.

A few pics, and yes thats YULitle's vids in the background :)

hollywood9826 05-23-2008 02:00 PM

barry 05-23-2008 02:34 PM

Did you build your on mount? Looks better than the one I had. http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/3100/dsc020882iq.jpg

Also do you get 360 rotations? I found the Wise much easier to use than the drop weight or crank tensioner.

saturn 05-23-2008 02:45 PM

I think Herb Wise made the mount specifically for the Challenger I and he includes it for no charge. I was thinking of getting a Wise for my Challenger I but I don't string high volume so not sure if I should yet. I noticed your stringer is same color as the Alpha machines. Mine is metallic black. How much nicer is it stringing with the Wise versus drop wt.?

barry 05-23-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saturn (Post 2360635)
I think Herb Wise made the mount specifically for the Challenger I and he includes it for no charge. I was thinking of getting a Wise for my Challenger I but I don't string high volume so not sure if I should yet. I noticed your stringer is same color as the Alpha machines. Mine is metallic black. How much nicer is it stringing with the Wise versus drop wt.?

I string a lot of rackets, so for me it is much easier to pull tension on the Wise than dropping a weight or turning a crank, plus on drop weight machines changing tension takes a bit more time. With the Wise, you just dial in the desired tension; it pulls the tension at the same speed every time, thereby producing a more consistent tension. If you are doing under 4 or so rackets a week, Wise might be an over kill, but electronic tensioners are the easiest to use. After you do 5 or so rackets, it is hard to switch back, it spoils you. My string time on the drop weight was 30 minutes, crank about 28, and Wise I can crank one out in 25 minutes or less, depending on the string pattern. Love the open patterns (16 x 18), hate some of the new Prince rackets, boomerang takes extra time to use.

I still believe you can come close to matching the tension on a drop weight using a Wise, but gravity wins ever time, just takes a little longer to string on a drop weight system. But they are the most accurate if used properly.

How has your Challenger worked out?

Richie Rich 05-23-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry (Post 2360819)
boomerang takes extra time to use.

no kidding. pain in the arse, although not as much as stringing full poly, 16g, in a prestige mid with CAPS :lol:

Mansewerz 05-23-2008 04:51 PM

Do they still sell the challenger?

wally 05-23-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie Rich (Post 2360866)
no kidding. pain in the arse, although not as much as stringing full poly, 16g, in a prestige mid with CAPS :lol:

I threw the damn thing out I just use the table break on my neos.

whole heartedly agree on the poly + tight pattern just eats up your hands

hollywood9826 05-23-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry (Post 2360620)
Did you build your on mount? Looks better than the one I had. http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/3100/dsc020882iq.jpg

Also do you get 360 rotations? I found the Wise much easier to use than the drop weight or crank tensioner.

I dont have 360 degress, but you kinda dont on drop weight until you drop the arm. It dont bother me that much.

Wise USA charged 12 dollars for the mount. its basically a L bracket. Its was more than worth that. The few times i used the drop weight It was just a pain. Move the arm up put the string in the gripper, pull the string on the gripper. move the arm down, maybe get lucky and its even. If not push the arm back up then back down(if it ratchets) then maybe you get it even. clamp.

With the Wise put the string in the gripper, push it in a little step, on foot pedal, clamp, step on pedal again to release :)

1st racquet i strung up with the eagnas perfect spin. It went pretty good so the 2nd one i pulled out some Pro Poly Hextreme. Cut it in half to get used to 2 piece for hybrids. got it all done then while tying the knot i shredded the string and it broke. So i used the other half of Hextreme and it went ok. I need to practice tying knots for sure though.

hollywood9826 05-23-2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansewerz (Post 2360894)
Do they still sell the challenger?

yea the ystill sell it I only bought mine 2 months ago. But the pics of it are still black :)

http://www.eagnas.com/chaln1.html

Mansewerz 05-23-2008 08:05 PM

Oh, for a second I thought it was an alpha machine. I'd rather not go for an eagnas.

ryohazuki222 05-23-2008 08:43 PM

thanks a bunch for the pics

hollywood9826 05-24-2008 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansewerz (Post 2361259)
Oh, for a second I thought it was an alpha machine. I'd rather not go for an eagnas.

Fair enough. I can tell you that I have had no issues with eagnas and the apparent bad CS. Other than the fact they are sold out of starting clamps.

When i first got the machine actually broke the ratchet/tensioner deal. so the machine would not pull tension with the drop weight. I sent it back to Eagnas and 2 weeks later it came back on the mail fixed.

hollywood9826 05-24-2008 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryohazuki222 (Post 2361303)
thanks a bunch for the pics

No problem dude.

If there are nay other angles or what not you wanna see. Just lemme know

saturn 05-24-2008 12:03 PM

Hi Barry, Challenger has worked out well. I like it more and more as time goes on. One of the reason I bought this machine because you highly recommended it at the time which is a year ago. I mostly string up Wilson Sensation 16 gauge for most of my customers unless they have their own string.

ryohazuki222 05-24-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywood9826 (Post 2361698)
No problem dude.

If there are nay other angles or what not you wanna see. Just lemme know

Oh really?! I thought I'd seem ungrateful if I asked in my post... haha.

If you have time, I'm really interested in seeing what the gripper and the keypad area look like on the new machines up close. I'm also a tad bit curious as to what the peddle looks like... and how much slack the wire connecting it to the machine has.

Steve Huff 05-24-2008 06:06 PM

I run the wire to the foot pedal down the pedastal, then under one of the pedastals feet. It sits in the corner of 2 of the feet. It really doesn't move around, so it's easy to find without looking. The foot pedal was a great addition.