Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Wrist Assist Update (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=199272)

drak 05-23-2008 04:40 PM

Wrist Assist Update

Since I have recently had a very good experience with this device and especially using the "new attachment" I thought I'd start a new thread.

I've had one and used it over the past 6-9 months with my learning daughter, mostly on volleys and some forehands. I had personally tried it before and though it was okay. What WAS a pain was having to always having to switch it when changing sides from BH to FH.

When I saw on a recent visit to their website that they had a new attachment that allows you to do BHs and FHs and volleys with NO changing I said lets give it a try. I tried it today when hitting with my normal 4.5 hitting buddy, he sorta smirked at me when I put it on. Well was I surprised (so was he), after a rough first 2-3 minues I started really getting into a forehand groove (my wristy and inconsistent shot) and was just hitting solid and deep with top and was very consistent. It took me about 10 minutes to get used to the BH but then I got dialed in there too. My consistency of stroke was what really stood out to me, and I think there is value in upping that by creating improved muscle memory.

What was interesting was that when I had tried it before it became uncomfortable after 5 minutes or so. Maybe I had it a bit too tight but today with the new attachment gizmo and having it just a bit looser I hit for about 40 straight minutes, doing lots of drills - it felt so good I did not want to take it off!

I really liked being ablie to just hit and use all the strokes and volleys. I think it is a very good tool for grooving strokes thru correct wrist position and repetitive and correct muscle memory - even for a long time 4.5 like myself. I found in my forehand that often I was not laying my wrist back enough on the takeback and then often would break it too much during the forward swing - the WA really helped me correct that. It also kept me on a better forward swing plane and I kept along the swingpath better. I think will use this in my training sessions and especially with my 3.5 daughter.

Drak

Long time 4.5 player with classic one-handed BH and SW forehand. I play at a fairly high level and went to 4.5 Nationals 1 1/2 yrs ago.

RedWeb 05-23-2008 07:40 PM

Drak, are you actually Brad Gilbert?

drak 05-23-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWeb (Post 2361221)
Drak, are you actually Brad Gilbert?

LOL, funny dude. Nope, been on TW a long time, check it out. It's a good aid IMO

crash1929 05-23-2008 10:13 PM

I agree with drak, this thing can give you a new perspective, especially if your a good player but never had lessons. this new device seems like a huge improvement. I could only hit with original one for a while before getting tired but it does give you that feel and you can emulate it after you take it off.

-a fellow 4.5, drak who did you play in nationals? hawaii?

Sentinel 05-23-2008 10:18 PM

So what does it really do, does it keep the wrist firm on the backhand, and cocked at 90 degrees on the forehand ?

How much did it cost ?

I just checked out the videos on the site ... mainly commercials, don't explain what it does.

crash1929 05-24-2008 09:18 AM

something like that. i was not volleying correctly. and it created an angle in my wrist that I found gave me the right technique to hit much more powerful shots. the word leverage comes to mind. i was not using leverage on my shots as much as I could. hoyce gracie said with enough leverage I can move the world. I think Steven Cohen said that, too -)

scotus 05-24-2008 01:22 PM

Was it "the best 60 bucks you've ever spent"?

drak 05-24-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash1929 (Post 2361434)
I agree with drak, this thing can give you a new perspective, especially if your a good player but never had lessons. this new device seems like a huge improvement. I could only hit with original one for a while before getting tired but it does give you that feel and you can emulate it after you take it off.

-a fellow 4.5, drak who did you play in nationals? hawaii?

Yeah, we ended up 2-1 (Georgia beat us) and I won both dubs matches I played. It was an "earth shattering" experience! We were at the epicenter and it was pretty wild.
I never had lessons either (started at 15 - now 52)) and what has been interesting for me is the forehand. About 5-6 yrs ago I swithed to a SW FH grip and while it was better than my previous FH I never felt I got the consistency I wanted or hoped for, I often do not lay back my wrist enough and I think I often "release" it too early - the WA seems to be correcting/helping me with that. Its feels like a "tune up" or refresher course if you will - its easy to fall into bad habts.
One note is that I think I am relaxing more and not muscling the ball as much, hence I can drill with the WA on for a long time. I am not cinching it too tight but enough to "feel" it - I do think that is a key when using it.
My wife is a 4.5 with a weak BH volley, she used it today as we worked on that volley for about 10-15 min and made some very solid progress. Perhaps it is not for everyone, but I think it is a very good tool.

drak 05-24-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 2362485)
Was it "the best 60 bucks you've ever spent"?

LOL. BUT I better not go there! It's the cost of a lesson and a half - given that I and my wife use it, and I use it quite a bit for my daughter I think it well worth it.

Bungalo Bill 05-24-2008 08:15 PM

So you guys gonna get the "Toss Assist"? Then the "Swing Assist"? Then the "Footwork Assist"? Then the "Show Up To The Court Assist"? ;)

drak 05-24-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungalo Bill (Post 2363164)
So you guys gonna get the "Toss Assist"? Then the "Swing Assist"? Then the "Footwork Assist"? Then the "Show Up To The Court Assist"? ;)

Heya Bill, I thought I remember you saying it was a good teaching tool? Did I get the wrong guy?

crash1929 05-24-2008 10:29 PM

yeah was lucky a friend had it.

drak sounds like quite an experience! we missed 4.5 nationals in hawaii by one match vs. round hill country club. we might've met up...

we're on a roll this year,though. see what what shakes out.

the wa just opens your eyes on some things, i know i was surprised by the improvement on the volley. Normally I might be embarrassed to try such a tool, but since I was the best player out on the courts I figured what the heck! and surprise...it actually helped me.

Bungalo Bill 05-25-2008 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drak (Post 2363210)
Heya Bill, I thought I remember you saying it was a good teaching tool? Did I get the wrong guy?

i think you got the wrong guy. I usually don't discount teaching aids, however, I dont get excited about them either. I think teaching aids ar valuable but not necessarily for everyone.

I was just kidding above.

Julieta 05-25-2008 06:57 AM

Has anyone tried this leash looking thing? It probably has a name but I don't know what it is. Anyway you basically put your non-dominant arm in one part and the other part goes on your hitting arm and it keeps both arms in line. It forces you to do the thing BB recommends with keeping your chin on your shoulder and you cant go back too far on the backswing. I used a homemade version of this once a few years ago when my swing got too big on the forehand from clay court play (someone else made it, not me!). I am sure that someone like that Joe guy has marketed it but I have no idea what it is called.

drak 05-25-2008 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash1929 (Post 2363360)
yeah was lucky a friend had it.

drak sounds like quite an experience! we missed 4.5 nationals in hawaii by one match vs. round hill country club. we might've met up...

we're on a roll this year,though. see what what shakes out.

the wa just opens your eyes on some things, i know i was surprised by the improvement on the volley. Normally I might be embarrassed to try such a tool, but since I was the best player out on the courts I figured what the heck! and surprise...it actually helped me.

Hey Crash, that would be very cool to duel in Tucson. We have a good 4.5 team this yr and have a shot, but there is always an element of luck getting through sectionals and there are very good teams there. We won something like 80% of our matchbreakers to get through, I bet if our odds of doing that again are 1 in 20.

TonyB 05-25-2008 08:09 AM

It should be called the "Wrist Crutch".

I can't imagine anything that acts as a crutch will help you strengthen your wrist, which is necessary in order to execute proper strokes. You just can't do it with a weak wrist.

I'm not convinced. Looks like another gimmick to me. Sure, it might help you hit better shots in the short term, but I see it as being a detriment in the long run.

In my opinion, the best bet is to just learn proper form without requiring a leash on your wrist.

drak 05-25-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyB (Post 2364121)

I can't imagine anything that acts as a crutch will help you strengthen your wrist, which is necessary in order to execute proper strokes. You just can't do it with a weak wrist.

I'm not convinced. Looks like another gimmick to me. Sure, it might help you hit better shots in the short term, but I see it as being a detriment in the long run.

In my opinion, the best bet is to just learn proper form without requiring a leash on your wrist.

Tony, this device does NOTHING to STRENGTHEN the wrist. It is about teaching you proper form thru correct and repetrtive "muscle" memory, you use it for a while then take it off. Over a period of weeks and even months the desired effect is to develop/reinforce that correct technique.

If a device can increase the learning curve of proper "form", would you not view it from a positive perspective?

TonyB 05-25-2008 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drak (Post 2364165)
Tony, this device does NOTHING to STRENGTHEN the wrist.

Didn't I just say that??

That's the whole problem. It allows you to hit good shots (possibly) by tethering your racquet to your wrist at some angle. It doesn't allow you to strengthen your wrist in order to hold the racquet in the proper position by itself.

Bungalo Bill 05-25-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyB (Post 2364121)

Yes, you are right about it does not "strenghen the wrist".

I dont thnk that was what it is designed to do. It is simply designed to help you learn what it feels like to have your wrist in the right position which cimpliments learning correct form in the wrist area.

It is a teaching aid and a learning aid, nothing more.

10sfreak 05-25-2008 06:56 PM

Speaking of having the wrist in a fixed position, my wrist will only go back to about 45 degrees, maybe a tad more. Just how far back should the wrist be at contact? I've see Fed's wrist at contact in some of the videos/pics, and his wrist looks like it's at about a 90 degree angle to his forearm...