Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why do all tennis players fall down after winning a big match/grandslam? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=201036)

bhallic24 06-02-2008 07:54 AM

Why do all tennis players fall down after winning a big match/grandslam?

I've watched tennis for over 10 years now and love the sport, but this has just been a huge pet peeve of mine. Everyone, and I mean everyone falls down in some shape or form to the ground and starts doing snow angels after they win a grandslam or a big match. WTF is up with that?

Who the hell started this? cuz its incredibly stupid. I mean can't someone go and find a more creative way to celebrate a big win other than to do what the past 120 guys before you have done? For federer I've noticed it gets faker and faker cuz he's already won so many times and I'm starting to think the tears are starting to be fake too. And its not just Fed.

I saw a recent win by Donald Young, maybe a rerun but after he beat Querry in the Juniors championship he fell to the ground in a fake, sorta girly, premedidated, prerehearsed kinda way and then got up immediately right afterwards. The fall was the most hilarious thing cuz I think he was hesitant about what to do so he just did a slow motion robot like fall and then when he was on the ground probably thought , "oh this is stupid why the hell did I just do that?" and got up.

Can someone plz explain? Is this a tennis tradition or is it written in tennis law somewhere?

SempreSami 06-02-2008 07:56 AM

Probably all the tension being let out, personally I couldn't stop screaming after Van Der Sar saved Anelka's penalty the other week.

Cup8489 06-02-2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SempreSami (Post 2385066)
Probably all the tension being let out, personally I couldn't stop screaming after Van Der Sar saved Anelka's penalty the other week.

yeah, it's overwhelming emotion from the win.. i mean how would you feel if you had just won one of the biggest tournaments in history. i know i'd collapse, for my body would lose all feeling at the shock. i dont think i'd be able to get up right away either.

i think nadal's are the best though, he just drops like a ragdoll, lol.

bhallic24 06-02-2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cup8489 (Post 2385072)
yeah, it's overwhelming emotion from the win.. i mean how would you feel if you had just won one of the biggest tournaments in history. i know i'd collapse, for my body would lose all feeling at the shock. i dont think i'd be able to get up right away either.

i think nadal's are the best though, he just drops like a ragdoll, lol.

yea i kinda see what you mean about the emotion and stuff. But I still think tennis players are incredibly uncreative in expressing that emotion. I mean don't NBA players and football players feel that same typa emotion when they win a championship? I rarely see them fall to the floor, they all up and jumping and hugging. And even in individual sports like in the olympics like track and such, the atheletes don't fall to the floor, they celebrate standing up. I think tennis may be the only sport where you can get away with fall to the floor like that. If I were playing any other sport and I fell to the ground after I won, people are gonna be like " Who the hell is that wierdo." You know what I mean? Its just very befuddling.

VGP 06-02-2008 08:10 AM

Aw, c'mon.....who can argue with this:

What do you want, more people jumping the net, or running up into the stands?

Or, would you rather the just stand there, emotionless and slowly walk up to shake hands.......or forget it, just walk off the court and not take the trophy.

Stchamps 06-02-2008 08:12 AM

the weight of the world is off their shoulders

Leublu tennis 06-02-2008 08:16 AM

You want them to do the Ivanisevic shirt off routine? Wouldn't mind if the girls did it. There was one American soccer player who proudly displayed her sport bra after some big win.

Leublu tennis 06-02-2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VGP (Post 2385094)
Aw, c'mon.....who can argue with this:

What do you want, more people jumping the net, or running up into the stands?

Or, would you rather the just stand there, emotionless and slowly walk up to shake hands.......or forget it, just walk off the court and not take the trophy.

Great picture. Thanks.

crazylevity 06-02-2008 08:20 AM

Tension release. I collapsed after Anelka's penalty was saved too...your muscles simply let go because finally, after the entire match...hell, the entire tournament, can you finally relax.

CyBorg 06-02-2008 08:21 AM

Roger is the worst 'faller' of them all. Just ask Hollywood for a body double next time, Rog. You're not Baryshnikov.

Nor Borg, for that matter.

CyBorg 06-02-2008 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VGP (Post 2385094)

I have to admit that I kind of liked Safin's stoic 'celebration' after hitting that ace to win the Australian.

It suits him. As in, "ho-hum... another day at the office."

jmsx521 06-02-2008 08:23 AM

After playing so many tough matches, they are tired... lay down on the ground, and fall asleep.

crazylevity 06-02-2008 08:24 AM

2005 US Open. Fed didn't fall, for once. He jumped up and fist pumped. I think that's the only exception. He fell all other 11 times.

bhallic24 06-02-2008 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyBorg (Post 2385121)
I have to admit that I kind of liked Safin's stoic 'celebration' after hitting that ace to win the Australian.

Lol love SAfin. would love to see video clip of this. And I agree with the poster above, Federer is one of the worst at celebrating. I love the guy but his celebrations seem so forced, so awkard , so uneasy for some reason.

zagor 06-02-2008 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyBorg (Post 2385115)
Roger is the worst 'faller' of them all. Just ask Hollywood for a body double next time, Rog. You're not Baryshnikov.

Nor Borg, for that matter.

So you don't think Fed's celebrations are genuine? In my opinion if he works so hard to win a major he can celebrate in any way he wants in the end,he deserves it.He does have a great passion for the game IMO otherwise he wouldn't have dominated this much.

JRstriker12 06-02-2008 08:29 AM

Who needs to win to fall down? I'd think the exhaustion after a 5-set match is usually reason enough. ;)

BTW- Didn't Borg start that whole winner flopping to the groung thing?

Agree with the previous posters. For some reason Fed's celebrations looked forced. Like he doesn't really want to get his nike shorts and shirt dirty.

leftiegirl 06-02-2008 08:32 AM

Interesting observation, but what would you suggest? Hug your opponent, do the winning dance by yourself on center court? THe difference is in basketball and football, the players can hug each and celebrate immediately with each other. I think it's the emotional release. It's like just letting it all fall out. A kind of "Finally.... I've worked hard and played hard.....it's all over. I won! I won!" An wonderful feeling indeed. You can't hug yourself out there, can you? Now that would be so weird.

CyBorg 06-02-2008 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zagor (Post 2385136)
So you don't think Fed's celebrations are genuine? In my opinion if he works so hard to win a major he can celebrate in any way he wants in the end,he deserves it.He does have a great passion for the game IMO otherwise he wouldn't have dominated this much.

Nah. Fed's a good, genuine guy. He's lovable.

But he's a terrible 'faller'. You have to note that me criticizing Roger for falling badly is done with my tongue somewhat in cheek.

ivo#1fan 06-02-2008 08:35 AM

Did Hewitt when he won Wimbledon or the US. Open? I picture him just jumping up and down in his opponents face and scream "Yes, Yes!"

Gorecki 06-02-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyBorg (Post 2385121)

that was a celebration "a la Safin"