Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Summer workout (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=203745)

tennisalex 06-15-2008 01:13 PM

Summer workout

What's the ideal workout plan for an skinny-average high school sophomore (I have a high metabolism rate)? I'm on my JV team and I was hoping on working out over the summer to help build up on conditioning and hit harder on my shots.

cncretecwbo 06-15-2008 06:47 PM

compound lifts + milk

Tofuspeedstar 06-20-2008 07:46 PM

Deadlift
Squat
Bench

Il Mostro 06-20-2008 08:56 PM

Use HIT (high intensity targeted training) to build strength. This involves heavier weights, fewer reps and, in some cases, working specific muscle groups only once or twice a week. Be sure to use correct techniques and alignment. Try the johnstonefitness.com site; you can learn a lot there about training and nutrition. Good luck.

baseline08thrasher 06-20-2008 09:24 PM

You need high intensity workouts, because long ones build your stamina, but the shorter intense one help your muscles.
Try doing alot of squats sprints, and core exercises.
The core will help your shots for more power, and so will the legs.
Do lunges alot, untill you burn significantly.
Do squats with weights.
Do alot of medicine ball workouts, grab a partner and throw the ball using tennis like motions, such as hitting a forehand but letting go off the ball and your partner catching it.
try overheads with medicine balls too.
If you have ever gone to a gyms cardio section some of them have a stair climber, these help alot if you put the resistance up.
With these exercises though you have to follow through and keep up with them, and work hard.
Make sure you feel the burn, because without it, it doesn't do alot.

tennisalex 06-21-2008 06:20 PM

Thanks for the replies, and Tofuspeedstar what district of houston are you in?

Max Winther 06-21-2008 08:33 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Gonna be a junior next year, and have an opprotunity to be #1 or 2 on varsity next year. I was #6 varsity this year because of all the seniors, but there will be a lot of juniors battling for the top 2 or 3 spots, so I need to be stronger and in better shape than all of them. I am doing legs twice a week, core every other day, and upper body monday wednesday friday. Like others have said, focus on compound lifts, meaning working more than 1 muscle. Like with squats, youre working calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes, lower back, and to a certain extent core. Compound lifts help you build more balanced muscles, and help your muscles work with each other.

Some other compound lifts are lunges, deadlifts, bench press, and military press. If you stick to a routine and eat a lot, you will be able to outmuscle most people you will face next year.

tbini87 06-22-2008 09:20 PM

get yourself some protein shakes and start eating a lot. try for 4-5 meals a day and really up the calories. if you working hard in the weight room and the court everyday you will be eating up tons of calories. lean beef, chicken, and tuna are all good food to be eating that are high in protein.

tbini87 06-22-2008 09:21 PM

oh, and like cncretecwbo said, drink lots of milk. really easy to down and has a lot of the stuff your bodies needs. eggs work too.

Tofuspeedstar 06-27-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisalex (Post 2447463)
Thanks for the replies, and Tofuspeedstar what district of houston are you in?

Sitting quietly in the Northwest part of Houston. Spring ISD if you want a school district.