Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Faster and stronger on the bike.... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=204465)

chess9 06-19-2008 05:10 AM

Faster and stronger on the bike....

Some of these tips will also translate into more power and endurance on the tennis court. This article is offered for those who cross-train on the bicycle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/fa...html?th&emc=th

-Robert

fuzz nation 06-20-2008 11:18 AM

Good stuff, amigo. My riding has become more essential than ever for my well being and while I'm not a fanatic about it, I recommend riding to tennis peers pretty routinely. Thanks for the reading.

chess9 06-20-2008 11:49 AM

Best to you, lad. Keep those wheels turnin'. :)

-Robert

OrangeOne 06-20-2008 12:21 PM

a. I hate the buying advice. $500 will get a bike that any newbie can ride for a year or two, and 10 years if they choose. If they choose to engage in the sport, then it's time for the 1000-2000 bike.

People forget that for new, even half-keen riders, the "repair/spare kit + shoes + pedals + helmet + clothing + bike computer" bill can easily run from 250-500 or more. Add this to a 500 bike and you've blown a grand, which is a steep entry level for a sport (compared to tennis: $50, soccer: $100, etc etc). As I say, if the bike is found to be wanting, it can be easily and cheaply upgraded, and it's at the $500 level that one will lose the least when selling a 6month old bike.

b. People should remember that due to specificity (you get good at doing what you do, and different sports translate less than people think), gains from doing power sprints on a bike will translate less to running on a court than you might think. Doesn't mean they won't translate, does mean that doing power sprints on a COURT will translate much quicker.

Otherwise, a good, readable and informative article - I just hope no-one read it and took the "inside pedal down" advice before the correction was issued, it's a very quick way to flick yourself off a bike!.

chess9 06-20-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeOne (Post 2444387)
a. I hate the buying advice. $500 will get a bike that any newbie can ride for a year or two, and 10 years if they choose. If they choose to engage in the sport, then it's time for the 1000-2000 bike.

People forget that for new, even half-keen riders, the "repair/spare kit + shoes + pedals + helmet + clothing + bike computer" bill can easily run from 250-500 or more. Add this to a 500 bike and you've blown a grand, which is a steep entry level for a sport (compared to tennis: $50, soccer: $100, etc etc). As I say, if the bike is found to be wanting, it can be easily and cheaply upgraded, and it's at the $500 level that one will lose the least when selling a 6month old bike.

b. People should remember that due to specificity (you get good at doing what you do, and different sports translate less than people think), gains from doing power sprints on a bike will translate less to running on a court than you might think. Doesn't mean they won't translate, does mean that doing power sprints on a COURT will translate much quicker.

Otherwise, a good, readable and informative article - I just hope no-one read it and took the "inside pedal down" advice before the correction was issued, it's a very quick way to flick yourself off a bike!.

You don't pedal through the corners? ;)

Yes, that advice is for the advanced biker, IMHO. Most guys aren't going to buy a power meter, though they are now pretty cheap and used ones can be had for a few hundred dollars. It's not the cost of them, but the time it takes to download and analyze all the data. Most guys won't find that stuff interesting or useful.

Bike prices have gone a bit crazy, particularly if you like Italian stuff. And have you seen the prices on bib shorts from Italy? Mama mia! $300 for a pair of shorts? I don't think so....

And then there are the new Shimano 'oven' shoes. :) About $400. Nice, but, who besides someone who is nuts (like me) is going there?

-Robert

watermantra 06-20-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeOne (Post 2444387)

He mentioned the price range for someone who wants to get into road racing. For this, it is a very conservative estimate. Granted, most folks don't buy their first road bike to race, but if this is your goal, you will spend this much for a new setup. The current price for an entry level road bike (trek/specialized/giant, etc) is about $700, but this is not a raceable bike.

watermantra 06-20-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chess9 (Post 2444536)

And then there are the new Shimano 'oven' shoes. :) About $400. Nice, but, who besides someone who is nuts (like me) is going there?

-Robert

Rocket 7 has had custom shoes out for a while now. Those who have them swear by them, but $500 is a little out of my range! I thought I'd have a heart attack when I bought my Sidis a few years ago! (Note that they have lasted me quite a while though!)

chess9 06-20-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watermantra (Post 2444549)
Rocket 7 has had custom shoes out for a while now. Those who have them swear by them, but $500 is a little out of my range! I thought I'd have a heart attack when I bought my Sidis a few years ago! (Note that they have lasted me quite a while though!)

Yes, I stuck with my 'cheap' $150 Shimano shoes. The Rocket 7 seemed a bit of a stretch even for me. I don't have anything going on in my feet so I couldn't justify them. I did buy some inserts for my shoes about 5 years ago and they went into the oven for a few minutes, then you put them in your shoes, then stood in them for about 10 minutes, then let them sit overnight. I didn't notice anything special about them other than the price. :)

-Robert

BallzofSkill 06-20-2008 04:26 PM

good article, especially about the nutrition part by mr. Lim. I'd like to try that some time.

chess9 06-20-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallzofSkill (Post 2445055)
good article, especially about the nutrition part by mr. Lim. I'd like to try that some time.

Dr. Lim is one of the best. In the cycling community he has mythic status.

-Robert

Il Mostro 06-20-2008 05:21 PM

Interesting read. As a former competitive cyclist, I can attest to the fact that both sprint and interval training directly translate to tennis. My diet is very different now that I don't log all the miles I used to, but my pre-match diet pretty much corresponds to my old pre-race regimen -- making sure that muscle glycogen stores are at the max. Off season weight training (HIT) also fits both sports.

I stick with my Carnac's, but use custom fit orthotics.

baboltsmasher 07-07-2008 07:47 PM

i race road and cross contry and have inproved my standings just by reading this article yes bikeing is expenseive to get into exspecially what i do competitvely i race two 3500 bikes bothe frames are carbon so that has to count for something and in the cycle raceing world that is considerd like buying a bike form wal mart look at lance armstrongs bike his trek is worth $500,000

chess9 07-08-2008 03:40 AM

Yes, and with the Euro so strong, a lot of bike parts are very pricey these days.

Want a Kuota Kom? LOL! With Campy Record carbon, a powermeter, and a set of decent race wheels you are looking at $8,000, at least. Then you need a helmet, shorts, shoes.... <sigh>

-Robert