Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   squads and lunches question (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=205481)

150mph_ 06-24-2008 10:29 AM

squads and lunches question

im not using any weights but im just using body weight and when i go down......

i feel the stress on my knees rather than my glutes or quads...

anyone know whats the reason and how i can correct it?

xtremerunnerars 06-26-2008 08:32 PM

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...FullSquat.html

Compare your form to that guy. There are so many things that could be causing what you're doing!

Before you do a leg workout, make sure you do some sort of cardio warmup and dynamic stretching (lunges are an example) and DON'T stretch non-warmed up muscles.

exrx is a great site! Check out all of the stuff they have and make sure your form is good on all of your exercises. If you're an anatomy/biology geek like I am you'll get lost on that site.

superman1 06-26-2008 10:09 PM

If you can't spell the names remotely correctly than I guarantee you that you can't do the exercises correctly. Learn form first.

scotus 06-26-2008 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superman1 (Post 2464961)
If you can't spell the names remotely correctly than I guarantee you that you can't do the exercises correctly. Learn form first.

Let's cut the guy a little slack.

After all, he was probably typing at 150mph.

150mph_ 06-27-2008 09:38 AM

sorry i realized that i typed a bit fast and spell check was not in effect
squats and lunges... thanks

chess9 06-27-2008 11:19 AM

I like squads and lunches better. ;)

"Ok, SQUAD, I'm gonna' eat yer' LUNCH if you don't do these right!"

-Robert

allrightguy 06-30-2008 11:19 AM

On the squat, make sure your knees never break the plane created by your toes. This can tear up your knees a lot and is bed. Also, make sure that you keep your chest high and not leaning over on yourself.

Quasar 06-30-2008 12:40 PM

Put your weight on your heels and sit your butt back like you're sitting down on a chair. Problem solved.

Squads and lunches? Seriously? Wow. Please tell me English is your 8th language.

cncretecwbo 06-30-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allrightguy (Post 2475362)
On the squat, make sure your knees never break the plane created by your toes. This can tear up your knees a lot and is bed. Also, make sure that you keep your chest high and not leaning over on yourself.

not exactly... knees can go a little past.. you should look at a point 10 or so feet in from of you on the floor. straight ahead/up is not good.

lovehatesme 07-11-2008 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 2464998)
Let's cut the guy a little slack.

After all, he was probably typing at 150mph.

i lol'ed

same thing used to happen to me (about feeling it in your knees- not about typing at 150 mphs), get better form and make sure your knee doesn't go past your toes, in fact don't even do lunges says my psychical therapist because I injured the connection to quad muscle and knee area and when I was back on the courts, I decided to do some lunges and came back with pain and he said lunges are horrible for your knees. Oh, and make sure if you DO do lunges stretch your HAMSTRINGS really well, because if you stretch your hamstrings it takes a lot of the work out for the quad muscle!

When you stretch your hamstrings sit down with your legs out in front of you and stretch for about 30-40 seconds, then point your toes out to the sides and stretch again for 30-40 seconds, and finally point your toes towards each other for 30-40 seconds. Hamstrings are made up of 3 segments or something like that.

Il Mostro 07-11-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chess9 (Post 2466670)
I like squads and lunches better. ;)

"Ok, SQUAD, I'm gonna' eat yer' LUNCH if you don't do these right!"

-Robert

Me too... do the squads and then eat some lunches :-)

Sleepstream 07-11-2008 08:58 AM

How come I've seen many competitive lifters with their knees past the toes and still not have knee problems?

I think playing on a hard court is more likely to mess up the knees/joints than doing a full squat with the knees going past the toes.

larry10s 07-11-2008 08:59 AM

letting the knee go past the front foot on a lunge puts alot of stress on the knee. squattingto where the thight is below parrallel to the ground is also very stressful to the knee. the video in the link shows to me someone putting there knees in jepardy.

Sleepstream 07-11-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry10s (Post 2514226)
letting the knee go past the front foot on a lunge puts alot of stress on the knee. squattingto where the thight is below parrallel to the ground is also very stressful to the knee. the video in the link shows to me someone putting there knees in jepardy.

Have a read:
http://exrx.net/Kinesiology/Squats.html

Gmedlo 07-11-2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry10s (Post 2514226)

NOT squatting AT LEAST to parallel will put your knees under a ton of stress.

cncretecwbo 07-14-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmedlo (Post 2515551)
NOT squatting AT LEAST to parallel will put your knees under a ton of stress.

exactly, a full squat, slightly past parallel (butt below kneecap) is safer than a half squat

larry10s 07-14-2008 05:50 PM

conventional wisdom not researched for verification can be wrong . i thank you for updating me and retract my comments on the squat as probably not correct . its late so i do not know if the knee beyond your toes theory of being bad is also incorrect. i am sure you will educate me. thanks