Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Repost of FEDERER'S REAL TOTAL CUSTOM RACKET (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=20551)

THE ANIMAL 01-21-2005 10:42 AM

Repost of FEDERER'S REAL TOTAL CUSTOM RACKET

Here are the Facts on Feds stick that were posted by someone who had one of them given to him with a pic of the Racket.

It is not a stock 90 size. The head size is larger than a 6.0 85 but smaller than the stock Tour 90/Ncode 90. (held it up next to one of each) I measured the beam width. It is 16.5 mm thick (same as the old china PS85 he used to use makes total sense there). Thinner than the stock tour 90/Ncode 90 which is 17.5mm. Balance is even (has lead under the grommet strip all in the top of the hoop. His grip size is small...feels between 1/4 and 3/8, though the but cap says 3/8. The racquet only weighed in at 357g. Swingweight was in the 350-360 range.

Some other observations look v closely at the custom string pattern Feds sweet spot area i.e. where he hits most of the time is slightly higher then the middle and if you notice they have moved the concentrated pattern as all rackets have in the sweet spot area up to his area. Also No of mains and crosses and then take a close look as other people have observed the handle area is like the PS 6.0/85 Original.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...asher/Fed1.jpg

So basically it is a total custom PS 88 mix with a modern shaped throat area of a Tour90/Ncode90, and ps85 handle. The only thing we donít no is the internal construction of the racket but as he grew up with the ps85 china id guess its v similar.

raftermania 01-21-2005 11:10 AM

Don't shoot the messenger, let's kiss him!

What kind of strings were in it?

crosscourt 01-21-2005 11:16 AM

Looking at the racket that he used against Santoro, it seemed rounder than the Tour/NCode 90, but that could just be the thousands of miles between London and Melbourne getting in the way of my view.

motownFILy 01-21-2005 12:21 PM

dude...sweet...

Aykhan Mammadov 01-21-2005 12:33 PM

What is the benefit for manufacturers not to produce the same racquets Pros use for wide public? Or specifications of each Pro racquet must be keeped as secret?

alan-n 01-21-2005 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aykhan Mammadov
What is the benefit for manufacturers not to produce the same racquets Pros use for wide public? Or specifications of each Pro racquet must be keeped as secret?

Its because the pros racquet and balance wouldn't suit even an advanced player. His racquet is optimized for his swings.

We simply don't need to additional weight and balance to handle the pace of the pro game. Most of us don't have the muscle development and surely couldn't handle swinging that racquet for a couple of sets, much less a whole day like they can.

foetz 01-21-2005 01:23 PM

you own the club?
nice analyzing job but i would say 'play it!!!!!!!!!!!'.
...and tell us, of course ;-)

christo 01-21-2005 09:04 PM

NG mains, BB Original crosses?

Astennix 01-21-2005 09:58 PM

great post!! but....357 grams is strung or unstrung?

THE ANIMAL 01-22-2005 04:04 AM

357 grams strung

Alex 01-22-2005 05:50 AM

Hi ANIMAL...awesome post!

I have a question for you on Federer's racquet.

We all know that he use the Wilson Pro Tour "white" grip, as overgrip.

But what i want to know is,
What kind of replacement grip is he using? Is it leather?
Does his grip feel hard or soft when squeeze?

I've a feeling that he used those cushioned replacement grip (not leather) for dampening shock. Pls check for me.

Thanks..

Pistol Pete 01-22-2005 06:10 AM

Roger uses leather...sorry to break it to you.

Aykhan Mammadov 01-22-2005 08:00 AM

Alan-n, what you wrote is the first thing coming to our mind, but I don't think you are right.

In the first, this thread started from Fed's racq specifications, he is playing with 357 g, I play with 360 g strung weight Pro Staff Tour 90, balance is 9 point. The heavier the racquet, more headlight is racquet IT IS BETTER for our elbow, and it is better for advanced amateurs.

So I can't tell that PROS racquets have some very special weight or balance or other parameters what essentially differ them from doezns of those which are available in shops. If they were for example 450 g while our is around 340-360 I could tell that this very heavy. In the second, even if to suppose that they have something special, why not to produce them in small quantities for very advanced players ? I think you agree that there are some racquets in the sale not suitable for 60% of amateurs, why not to add to some very hard models a few that Pros use ?

foetz 01-22-2005 09:04 AM

yeah, a small amount of 'no-mercy' clubs would be great but i think it wouldn't pay (companies view).

kv581 01-22-2005 09:06 AM

I am assuming that pros have different preferred specs even if they supposedly use the same model. To produce these custom racquets would mean either to 1) single out certain players only and produce their racquets or 2) make VERY many slightly different frames (eg. Sampras' PS 6.0, Courier's PS 6.0, Edberg's PS 6.0..., etc.).

Choice 2 is obviously not economically profitable when they cannot mass produce these racquet. Plus the demand on these racquets will not be high enough to justify their more costly production.

Choice 1 seems possible, but which pros? Top10? Most popular? Past Grand Slam winners? Either way someone is gonna get left out and his/her fans won't be happy about it.

I think there are way too many choices out there today for amateurs to not be able to find a suitable racquet. And if you are not totally satisfied with a racquet's weight/balance, there's always lead tape.

foetz 01-22-2005 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kv581
I think there are way too many choice out there today for amateurs to not be able to find a suitable racquet.

we thought of a small hardliner model range.
definitely nothing for amateurs.

PurePrestige 01-22-2005 09:45 AM

I honestly don't know but looking at these specs. I'm really not sure if I can believe that it's Even Balance, maybe they measured the balance wrong. With Sampras you take a look at the weight and balance of his racquet which weighs more than Fed's but its still about 5 points headlight. The racquet he was using would still swing like an even balance racquet and it showed. You could tell by the way Sampras swung his racquet the amount of effort needed to swing it. Looking at Federer and the way he flails his racquet, not necessarily his racquet head speed in general but just the amount of time he takes to prepare etc. really doesnt seem likely that it's even balanced.

Aykhan Mammadov 01-22-2005 11:26 AM

KV581, I don't think your assertion is right. I'm not telling about offering Wilson for example to continue production of every racquet and at the same time their slight Sampras modification, Federer modification and etc.

What I suggest is to produce from the scratch just modified already by PROs versions calling just them PS 6.0 85 or n-Code 6-1 90 and etc. I'm sure that these modifications are slight, and what is the reason to keep in production those versions which are slightly modified by PROs after?

There was another hypothesis by alan-n ( read in this thread) that Pros racquets so deeply differ from those in production that they can't suit amateurs. But observations prove that they don't essentially differ from originals by weight, balance and etc., I mean Pros don't use 450 g racquets, don't use 20 point balances and etc., they are normal people.

Marius_Hancu 01-22-2005 12:07 PM

is this the racket currently used by Federer, i.e. painted to look as an n-code? or is it the racket of 1 year ago?

and indeed, the big question is the internal structure ...

PurePrestige 01-22-2005 04:20 PM

As it's been mentioned before, there are pro's who have their own special ways of doing things. But these are more likely the exception rather than the rule. Like Sampras and the weight/balance of his racquet was pretty crazy even to other pro's, it was said he used a racquet few other pro's could even get around to hit the ball. Federer is probably a similar case seeing as he is being thrust into the light as he is.

My question, is if you think that pro's have such tremendously different racquets when does their shift occur? They all begin as junior players and use a stock racquet, from their i'd assume most pro's will tweak that frame with some lead. Adding to the head of the racquet or both head and handle so that their frame is more capable of dealing with the added pace that comes with higher levels of tennis.

When would they decide that they needed something like a PS 85 except Even balanced? I don't think most people would require something extremely specialized but rather they enjoy the feel of a stock frame, and over time they have added a little lead each time, till they have a relatively heavier frame but they wouldn't notice this because their timing slowly adjusts with the slow process of weighting the racquet.