Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Not eating after 7? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=205828)

Verilious 06-25-2008 04:28 PM

Not eating after 7?

Is there any benefit to this? A former coach of mine who was fairly in shape said he didn't eat after 7. Could help with preventing any weight gain?

kobe3pointer 06-25-2008 04:45 PM

Try it. Sounds good, you sit down after 7 and watch tv... you feel like eating... if you stay up late, you feel like eating... not a bad idea

Murray_Maniac 06-25-2008 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verilious (Post 2459832)
Is there any benefit to this? A former coach of mine who was fairly in shape said he didn't eat after 7. Could help with preventing any weight gain?

7 sounds pretty early. All I know is that you shouldn't eat when its your bed time because when your tired, your digestion slows. So, just dont eat late. If you still up and going at 7, I think that you can eat without much weight gain.

WildVolley 06-25-2008 05:04 PM

Most likely there's a benefit in that you'll consume less. A lot of people consume unneeded calories just prior to going to bed.

I have no scientific evidence, but many of the fatest people I know and others who struggle with diets admit that they don't eat breakfast, but eat a big dinner. I think it makes more sense to eat a big breakfast and less for dinner than the other way around. No food after 7 is just a variant of this idea.

If you lived in a European culture where they eat dinner around 9-11pm, you'd really lose weight.:)

scotus 06-26-2008 09:17 AM

Don't eat after 6 pm. You will lose more weight.

Don't eat after 5 pm. You will lose even more weight.

Don't eat after 4 pm. Can you imagine the weight you will lose?

Don't eat after 3 pm. It's all coming off now.

kobe3pointer 06-26-2008 09:49 AM

Don't eat after 2 pm. You cant move, too weak.

Don't eat after 1 pm. No need to worry about eating, your dead from starvation.

LanEvo 06-26-2008 11:38 AM

i think thats dumb imo not eating after 7, i like all the meals i have at midnight, at like jack in the box or in and out burger

WildVolley 06-26-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LanEvo (Post 2463084)
i think thats dumb imo not eating after 7, i like all the meals i have at midnight, at like jack in the box or in and out burger

I don't think that it is a dumb rule. Of course, whether it makes sense for any individual might depend on his sleep pattern, etc. A lot of people eat a bunch of food before they go to sleep and then they complain that they are getting fat.

If cutting down on the late-night snacking can help someone maintain a diet, then the rule makes sense. It might work since many of us are creatures of habit. I wonder how many people will consume the same calories, just eat them earlier in the day?

If you don't have any problem with weight then I wouldn't worry about the rule.

xtremerunnerars 06-26-2008 02:18 PM

If you plan to make your body starve and go into a catabolic state then go for it!

malakas 06-26-2008 02:24 PM

This is one of the biggest diet myths out there.
Your body doesn't tell the difference if you eat at 7 pm,8 pm or 12 am!The metabolism drop is minimal-so don't worry for such things!
The thing is that most ppl tend to binge at night,that's why this myth is so popular.If you keep your caloric intake the same,it won't make a difference at all.
Better advice would be to eat a huge breakfast,the more you eat in the morning,the less you're hungry during the rest of the day.

Serve_Ace 06-26-2008 03:25 PM

well its no eating after 8

xtremerunnerars 06-26-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malakas (Post 2463709)
This is one of the biggest diet myths out there.
Your body doesn't tell the difference if you eat at 7 pm,8 pm or 12 am!The metabolism drop is minimal-so don't worry for such things!
The thing is that most ppl tend to binge at night,that's why this myth is so popular.If you keep your caloric intake the same,it won't make a difference at all.
Better advice would be to eat a huge breakfast,the more you eat in the morning,the less you're hungry during the rest of the day.

THANK YOU!

read that post people...

TW CSR 06-27-2008 09:58 AM

I've heard a few people at work talk about this myth but it is completely bogus. I have had a ton of experience dieting. I went from 210 lbs down to 140 and now back up to 175. Dieting is all about daily caloric intake. For best results you should split your calories into as many meals as possible, for me that means eating at least 2 or 3 meals after 7pm. I eat peanut butter or greek style yogurt right before I get into bed which helps me wake up without feeling hungry. Also making sure to keep hydrated is very important. A diet ratio of 40/40/20 (protein/carbs/fat) seems to work the best for me.

Rickson 06-27-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verilious (Post 2459832)

Absolutely not true! It doesn't matter if you eat 5 minutes before you go to sleep. What matters is how many calories you consume. Almost every single bodybuilder alive takes in some form of nourishment right before they go to sleep and they're the leanest athletes around.

cncretecwbo 06-27-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickson (Post 2466327)
Absolutely not true! It doesn't matter if you eat 5 minutes before you go to sleep. What matters is how many calories you consume. Almost every single bodybuilder alive takes in some form of nourishment right before they go to sleep and they're the leanest athletes around.

shoot you can find plenty of college athletes who are ridiculously lean and are trashed and hitting up late night drive thru's on weekends

Rickson 06-27-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cncretecwbo (Post 2467807)
shoot you can find plenty of college athletes who are ridiculously lean and are trashed and hitting up late night drive thru's on weekends

There you go, proof positive.

ultima972 06-29-2008 12:16 PM

Not eating after 7 would be far worse for your body because all the weight you lose would be muscle.

cncretecwbo 06-29-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultima972 (Post 2472014)
Not eating after 7 would be far worse for your body because all the weight you lose would be muscle.

that depends on a lot of things, generally? yes. always? no

ultima972 06-29-2008 04:58 PM

Nothing's written in stone, but if you're a late sleeper, you can bet some muscle loss will occur with a 7pm limit. If you slept at 7:30, that's another story.

Forehand_Punisher 06-29-2008 05:05 PM

So I guess eating 6 burritos from Taco Bell at 2 am is out.