Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Stringing O-Port, Speedport, etc. rackets w/o a brake? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=206019)

!Tym 06-26-2008 02:07 PM

Stringing O-Port, Speedport, etc. rackets w/o a brake?

Haven't strung a Prince O-Port/Speedport racket yet, but own a Strungway ML100 that does not have a brake.

How problematic is it to string these giant grommetless holes without a brake?

I'm thinking of retrofitting the Wise to my machine to get foot pedal operation. Would the foot pedal operation making stringing these frames easier due to the "hands-free" design?

Thanks for any info.

iplaybetter 06-26-2008 02:23 PM

i would use the hip in method, i no longer have this problem with my prince 3000 and its auto-break

YULitle 06-26-2008 02:24 PM

Foot pedal only helps it become "hands-free" if the gripper holds the string, which it doesn't.

Foot pedal is over-rated.

iplaybetter 06-26-2008 02:25 PM

i am not so sure on that, the pedal on my prince is awsome

YULitle 06-26-2008 02:27 PM

Good tension actuation button placement trumps a pedal in my book.

The only time you save is not having to reach over and dis-engage it the tension head. BUT, that assumes that the string will come out of the gripper without you having to put your hand near it.

iplaybetter 06-26-2008 02:32 PM

i have both :mrgreen: i find my self using the foot pedal a little more than the button, but i use both

chrisplchs 06-26-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !Tym (Post 2463644)
Haven't strung a Prince O-Port/Speedport racket yet, but own a Strungway ML100 that does not have a brake.

How problematic is it to string these giant grommetless holes without a brake?

I'm thinking of retrofitting the Wise to my machine to get foot pedal operation. Would the foot pedal operation making stringing these frames easier due to the "hands-free" design?

Thanks for any info.

I would get a boomerang tool, especially since the ML 100 is a tabletop unit.

As for the foot pedal operation, it isn't worth it. Hand is faster and has better timing

!Tym 06-26-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisplchs (Post 2463928)
I would get a boomerang tool, especially since the ML 100 is a tabletop unit.

As for the foot pedal operation, it isn't worth it. Hand is faster and has better timing

Actually, my ML100 is stand-up. I have the optional floor stand for it.

Where does one get the boomerang tool? Doesn't it only work on some of the models, not all?

chrisplchs 06-26-2008 06:04 PM

my bad on that. i thought the 100 was a TT unit but obviously I am wrong.

The tool works on all the racquets

Zach 06-26-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisplchs (Post 2464285)
my bad on that. i thought the 100 was a TT unit but obviously I am wrong.

The tool works on all the racquets

Yes all the tools do work, it's just that you need the proper one. For example, you would need a white boomerang to string an 03 white or speedport white, a red boomerang for O3 reds or speedport reds, etc.

Mansewerz 06-26-2008 07:53 PM

If the O ports are at the top and bottom of the racquet, do you need a break?

SonRK 06-26-2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansewerz (Post 2464642)
If the O ports are at the top and bottom of the racquet, do you need a break?

No

(ten chars)

kmartin 06-26-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !Tym (Post 2463963)

Where does one get the boomerang tool? Doesn't it only work on some of the models, not all?

I requested mine directly from Prince. You tell them what racquet you have, and they send you the one you need, and don't even charge shipping. I think that's because some of the early O racquets shipped with one, and they don't want to get people peeved by charging for it now. I don't know if it's true, but the guy I spoke with said there were only two sizes. I think the larger one was the one I received for an Ozone Seven. At the time, he said they were only making the one I got, but they would make the other again at some point.

kmartin 06-26-2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !Tym (Post 2463963)

And if you can't get a boomerang, search the boards for a thread that mentions boomerang, O3, etc. I remember seeing a thread where a guy came up with a slick substitute for one. Unfortunately, I can't remember what he said he used, because I had one, so I figured I'd never need to do that. I'll ponder it, and post again if it ever rattles out.

Ed Math 06-29-2008 12:54 PM

String the racket with 2 pieces.

Install mains as usual.

Using the second piece start the crosses in the middle of the racket using the same method you used with the mains. You will need a starting clamp.

Now install one cross going toward the head of the racket.

Now install one cross going toward the throat of the racket.

Keep alternating until all the crosses are completed.

No break, no boomerang, no problem.

It is my understanding Prince has no problem with this process as long as you alternate the crosses, i.e., one going up and one going down.

10usstring 07-02-2008 10:09 AM

A few button type string dampeners, (Head) etl. will fit some 03 holes in place of the boomerang tool.

tenniko 07-02-2008 10:49 AM

you don't need a brake. just need to make sure that you pull the strings and clamp it, while using your body or wall or something to hold the racquet in place.

!Tym 07-02-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenniko (Post 2482114)
you don't need a brake. just need to make sure that you pull the strings and clamp it, while using your body or wall or something to hold the racquet in place.

Ok, great, so it's not really that big a deal, not that hard, and doesn't really take anymore time to string these without a brake and without the boomerang tool?

If so, what a Godsend for me because I really don't feel like selling my machine just because of this, just to upgrade to a machine with a brake.

Racketeer 07-03-2008 09:11 AM

Strung on a MS200T No Prob

I used to play with a O3 Blue and strung the racket sucessfully w/o a brake or leaning against the wall. The only issues were on the crosses. When I strung the crosses I let the string bend across the open grommet then clamp it. On the next cross I would release that clamp under tension then clamp on the opposite side. I wold repeat this process for all of th crosses. It is a little hard to explain, but was able to do about 20 string jobs during the 2 years I played with the rackets and the string jobs were fine.

tenniko 07-03-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !Tym (Post 2483398)
Ok, great, so it's not really that big a deal, not that hard, and doesn't really take anymore time to string these without a brake and without the boomerang tool?

If so, what a Godsend for me because I really don't feel like selling my machine just because of this, just to upgrade to a machine with a brake.

no it's not that hard. i strung many O-ports with Neos not using the brake. you just learn how to do it, and then it's a breeze.