Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Grinnell College (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=206318)

A.Davidson 06-28-2008 04:33 AM

Grinnell College

Hi all.

Okay, so I recently began getting contacted by a school called Grinnell College (located in Iowa) and they seem semi-interested in recruiting me for their team.

From what I've seen and researched, they have won their conference several times in the past few years and recently won their first NCAA Regional Tournament match before falling to Washington University.

Anyway, their coach has contacted me with a letter, promoting the school's new facilities, talking about the school's accomplishments, etc. He has also asked if I am interested in continuing my tennis career into college.

I have emailed him and told him that I am, as well as sending him some information on myself through snail mail.

I haven't received any other substantial "recruiting" letters as of yet.

I'm just looking for a little insight and/or advice. Thanks!

Julieta 06-28-2008 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Davidson (Post 2468663)
Hi all.

Okay, so I recently began getting contacted by a school called Grinnell College (located in Iowa) and they seem semi-interested in recruiting me for their team.

From what I've seen and researched, they have won their conference several times in the past few years and recently won their first NCAA Regional Tournament match before falling to Washington University.

Anyway, their coach has contacted me with a letter, promoting the school's new facilities, talking about the school's accomplishments, etc. He has also asked if I am interested in continuing my tennis career into college.

I have emailed him and told him that I am, as well as sending him some information on myself through snail mail.

I haven't received any other substantial "recruiting" letters as of yet.

I'm just looking for a little insight and/or advice. Thanks!

A friend of mine played for the Grinnell women's team a few years ago. She said it is a very good school. She went on to get an MBA from a top school here in the US. If education is important to you, you will get a good education there. It is a very progressive school I have heard...don't be fooled because its in Iowa. It is not close to anything though. Have you looked at collegetennisonline? That will help you see what kind of schedule they play and check out the other teams in their conference.

max 06-28-2008 06:18 AM

It's an EXCELLENT school. With a huge endowment; all kinds of lectures, performances, etc.; raises the quality of student life tremendously. . . which is necessary due to being out in a small town in Iowa. GREAT and FABULOUS academic reputation. It has its own hippie dimension, if that's your bag.

A.Davidson 06-28-2008 06:39 AM

Thanks guys. The comments so far seem to be along the lines of what I've heard: VERY scholarly and VERY progressive.

Good tip, that collegetennisonline. I'll check it out.

Thanks again!

max 06-28-2008 10:06 PM

I should note that the common view of Iowa is mistaken. It's not at all backward: the general level of education among the residents is among the highest in the country. Education is highly valued. So is corn and beans. Especially corn; talking $5 bushel.

duso 06-29-2008 06:41 AM

Its a solid place. I don't know about your game, or ranking, but in my experience too many players over reach, go to D1 programs and don't play, or aare squeezed out in a year or two. Look at the University of Wisconsin, many of the top players from Wisconsin that go there leave in a year, or are religated to "fighting" for a spot.

Grinnell is a top academic school. You'll get a chance to play tennis, make friends, see much of the Mid-west, and improve your game. You'll also be able to attend any top graduate or professional program. When there you can use your player status to become a graduate assistant, and possible get a free masters degree. In my opinion programs like Grinnell are better than the small D1 programs in the ******* such as UW-Green Bay.

Julieta 06-29-2008 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max (Post 2470892)
I should note that the common view of Iowa is mistaken. It's not at all backward: the general level of education among the residents is among the highest in the country. Education is highly valued. So is corn and beans. Especially corn; talking $5 bushel.

You are right! I hope I didn't imply that Iowans are backward in my post. From what I have heard about Grinnell from my friend it is so far from the stereotypical view of what people think that area is like that is why I mentioned that.

Julieta 06-29-2008 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duso (Post 2471407)
Its a solid place. I don't know about your game, or ranking, but in my experience too many players over reach, go to D1 programs and don't play, or aare squeezed out in a year or two. Look at the University of Wisconsin, many of the top players from Wisconsin that go there leave in a year, or are religated to "fighting" for a spot.

Grinnell is a top academic school. You'll get a chance to play tennis, make friends, see much of the Mid-west, and improve your game. You'll also be able to attend any top graduate or professional program. When there you can use your player status to become a graduate assistant, and possible get a free masters degree. In my opinion programs like Grinnell are better than the small D1 programs in the ******* such as UW-Green Bay.

Very good points. It's also important to note that comment about being a graduate assistant. That is a very good way to get a graduate degree and continue to practice with good players for free!

A.Davidson 06-29-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duso (Post 2471407)
Its a solid place. I don't know about your game, or ranking, but in my experience too many players over reach, go to D1 programs and don't play

Wow! Okay, thanks for this point especially!

A few friends of mine talked about trying to go to smaller Division I schools and then attempting to walk on to the tennis team.

The schools seemed small and academically mediocre - they were interested only because they wanted to play tennis and thought they had the best chance there.

Good, so I should get some playing time if I go here? Cool, cool...the GA opportunities also sound exciting.

duso 06-29-2008 12:13 PM

Other good chices would be Carthage in Kenosha, WI, Lawrence in Appleton, WI, or Marian College in Fond duLac, WI. My main suggestion is to again not over reach. In all circumstances being a member of the team is what is important, and a solid academic credential is life long. The quality of the coaches at any of these programs is also impressive. I personally know the coaches at Carthage and Lawrence, they are the equal or above many at the D1 level. They just don't want the pressure or the dishonesty that goes along with some of the higher programs.

momich1 06-29-2008 01:42 PM

duso you live in the milwaukee area?

momich1 06-29-2008 01:50 PM

asnd man, my brother plays at ripon, which is in grinells and he says they are amazing. they get whomped everytime they play them. but this year grinells 1 lost at conf to a kid from lawrnce, granted he was a transfer from something agustus which is a good team. if your getting calls from grinell, go for it, you must be good.

duso 06-29-2008 02:53 PM

I live in Central Wisconsin.

bluetrain4 06-30-2008 01:33 PM

Grinnell is an excellent, top-notch academic school. Beautiful campus, great facilities. But, it is kind of out in the middle of nowhere and isolated. That said, it's less than an hour to Des Moines and about an hour to Iowa City (where the University of Iowa is located).

If you don't mind the small-college, small town atmosphere, I'd highly recommend that you look into it.

momich1 06-30-2008 03:08 PM

what city central wisconsin? i have a place in wautoma, near oshoksh, wel my grandparents do, and play at fox valley someimes.

JMS 06-30-2008 03:09 PM

As many have mentioned, it will be very tough to find a better school concerning academics.

duso 06-30-2008 04:26 PM

Wisconsin Rapids.

You'll recall, Ward Bortz, Peter Amundson, even Michael Dierberger. They all struggled. No better player has come along in Wisconsin in many years than Dierberger. Where is he, he is a Soph., and not in the top four. I played D1, Ivy League, and believe that all of these players would have been better off at smaller schools. Look at Gusdavis in Minnesota, or Luther. Most of these schools are the equal of a Amherst or Williams. Your education is a lifetime, as is tennis. Law or Medical comes much easier when a small school can get to know you.

momich1 06-30-2008 04:39 PM

mike dierberger is my best friends cousin. i have 3 of his n90s now thjat he swtiched to the k95 16x18. yeah mike aint doin anything at uw

duso 06-30-2008 05:14 PM

And isn't that a real shame. He is a great player, and a great person. This is what I mean about over reaching. The last player from Wisconsin that did anything was Tom Chicoine from Neenah. I liked Bortz, but the stretch is too much. Pete VanLishout? Did nothing. Only players I think that are playing are Tom Litscher from Eau Claire, Matt Clegg from Stevens Point, Chris Smith from Marshfield, and Joey VanLeishout from Neenah, and none of them are rewriting history in the world of tennis. I personally would prefer to see a player find a small venue, and enjoy all that college can give you.

brodey147 06-30-2008 06:13 PM

A. Davidson,
What part of the country are you living in?