Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   U. of Ga. recruiting (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=207722)

ashicks 07-05-2008 03:00 PM

U. of Ga. recruiting

After winning the NCAA's for the 2nd consecutive time this Spring, UGA must replace Travis Helgeson (#1) and Luis Flores (#3) in their starting line up. According to Tennis Recruiting.Net, UGA's sole signee for 2008 is Matt Reid from Australia. Does anyone know whether or not coach Manny Diaz plans to add at least 1 additional recruit prior to the start of the Fall 2008 (indoor) part of their new season? {As a matter of interest, at the Pittsburg Futures pro tournament that is currently been played, both Flores & Helgeson made the semis in singles along with Somdev Devarrman (2 time NCAA Sgls champion from U. of Virginia). Devarrman defeated Flores in the semis and will play Helgeson in the finals on Sun. (July 6th)}.

Coach Carter 07-05-2008 07:44 PM

tennisrecruiting.net doesn't show near everyone that has signed...I'd be willing to bet that there is atleast 1 more foreign player in the mix and 6 new Americans that will be there in some capacity to give it a shot this fall...only 4.5 scholarships to go around anyway you slice it.

SoCal10s 07-17-2008 12:05 AM

[quote=ashicks;2492160]After winning the NCAA's for the 2nd consecutive time this Spring, UGA must replace Travis Helgeson (#1) and Luis Flores (#3) in their starting line up. According to Tennis Recruiting.Net, UGA's sole signee for 2008 is Matt Reid from Australia. Does anyone know whether or not coach Manny Diaz plans to add at least 1 additional recruit prior to the start of the Fall 2008 (indoor) part of their new season?

this team is a disgrace to USA... how many foreign players do they need to buy to keep winning? NCAA should make a rule about foreign players.. why do we need to support foreign player when there are a lot of good(not best)American players here ,who would love to have a free ride...

AndrewD 07-17-2008 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal10s (Post 2529078)
why do we need to support foreign player when there are a lot of good(not best)American players here ,who would love to have a free ride...

Because you have allowed college sports to be dominated by a mentality which says that 'winning is the only thing'. As a result, coaches are forced to go for the best players available, even if that means recruiting overseas.

Also, you aren't supporting foreign players. What you're supporting is an unhealthy system (a wholly American system) which demands that they be recruited.

To the OP: don't be surprised if Ga gets a transfer or two before the start of the season.

SoCal10s 07-17-2008 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewD (Post 2529108)
Because you have allowed college sports to be dominated by a mentality which says that 'winning is the only thing'. As a result, coaches are forced to go for the best players available, even if that means recruiting overseas.

Also, you aren't supporting foreign players. What you're supporting is an unhealthy system (a wholly American system) which demands that they be recruited.

To the OP: don't be surprised if Ga gets a transfer or two before the start of the season.

oh I know they will and they'll keep on winning.. like you said that's the name of the game.. but NCAA should put a curb to this by maybe limiting the numbers of overseas players..this will force the schools to go after the Americans kids who are fighting dearly for that little piece of pie...

GPB 07-17-2008 05:37 AM

Why should there be artificial limitations on college recruiting? Apparently, American kids need to fight harder if they want a little piece of that pie, that's all.

Also, to he11 with UGA. Who wants to have a big stupid slobbery dawg as their mascot, anyway?

-GT alumnus

10isDad 07-17-2008 06:36 AM

Quote:

this team is a disgrace to USA... how many foreign players do they need to buy to keep winning? NCAA should make a rule about foreign players.. why do we need to support foreign player when there are a lot of good(not best)American players here ,who would love to have a free ride...
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal10s (Post 2529401)
but NCAA should put a curb to this by maybe limiting the numbers of overseas players..this will force the schools to go after the Americans kids who are fighting dearly for that little piece of pie...

Oh Lord, not this again...There're other threads with several hundred responses. Let's not re-hash this again, 'cause there's no right answer that would satisfy everybody.

slice bh compliment 07-17-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPB (Post 2529421)
...Also, to he11 with UGA. Who wants to have a big stupid slobbery dawg as their mascot, anyway?

-GT alumnus

Uhm, the list is long and distinguished: Yale, Georgia, Georgetown (A Hoya is like a Husky), University of Washington, and many others.

Ga. Tech alum, hehehhh.
Well, as much as I love a good vintage car or a honeybee, you can't argue with the cute factor on a Bulldog. Plus, they're great with kids.

--a dog-loving father who likes honey and vintage cars.

kctennis1005 07-17-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slice bh compliment (Post 2529812)
Uhm, the list is long and distinguished: Yale, Georgia, Georgetown (A Hoya is like a Husky), University of Washington, and many others.

Ga. Tech alum, hehehhh.
Well, as much as I love a good vintage car or a honeybee, you can't argue with the cute factor on a Bulldog. Plus, they're great with kids.

sorry need to correct you on this one....a hoya is not like a husky.

the term hoya originated when georgetown students used to chant "hoia saxa" a mixture of latin and greek than means "What rocks!" at football games. the term hoia stuck and was changed to hoya to ease pronunciating. georgetown then adopted jack the bulldog as its mascot.

Gemini 07-17-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slice bh compliment (Post 2529812)

Ga. Tech alum, hehehhh.

I've never thought of bulldog as cute but to each his own... Though I feel sorry for any bulldog associated with UGA...

And wasps (yellowjackets) and honeybees are not the same thing...

-Another GT Alumnus

slice bh compliment 07-17-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

... big stupid slobbery dawg ...

gotcha, thanks for the hoia saxa info. I will pull that out one day in casual conversation, I'm sure.
ANyway, I was going with the big slobbery dog thing, and made a bridge from bulldog to husky, that's all.

slice bh compliment 07-17-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini (Post 2530090)
...And wasps (yellowjackets) and honeybees are not the same thing...

-Another GT Alumnus

Yeah, I know. I was being charitable.

INteresting vibe between Ga and GT.
I guess it's comparable to Stanford/Cal, USC/UCLA, UW/Wash St., Army/Navy, etc.

GPB 07-17-2008 01:30 PM

yeah, any ncaa football game describes the rivalry as "good ol' fashioned hate" (or something like that)

i'd say that's fairly accurate

The Wreck 07-18-2008 04:01 PM

That's one way of putting it...

Of course, there's not a whole lot of "good ol' fashioned-ness" to it anymore...just a ton of, well, hard core hate.

I'm a Tech fan, but I rooted for UGA when they went to the NCAA finals for tennis, and when they made it to the College World Series. When Tech made the Final 4 in '04, almost all the Georgia fans rooted strongly against Tech.

caesar66 07-19-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Why should there be artificial limitations on college recruiting? Apparently, American kids need to fight harder if they want a little piece of that pie, that's all.

Also, to he11 with UGA. Who wants to have a big stupid slobbery dawg as their mascot, anyway?

-GT alumnus

Too bad there are no NCAA math competitions, you guys might have a chance at beating us in something then :)

I totally agree on the limitations thing. Why should a program only recruit American players if they know they are bypassing better tennis players? It's awfully idealistic to think that a team should be ok with losing because they wanted to make a point and not recruit international talent.

Gemini 07-19-2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wreck (Post 2533717)
That's one way of putting it...

Of course, there's not a whole lot of "good ol' fashioned-ness" to it anymore...just a ton of, well, hard core hate.

I'm a Tech fan, but I rooted for UGA when they went to the NCAA finals for tennis, and when they made it to the College World Series. When Tech made the Final 4 in '04, almost all the Georgia fans rooted strongly against Tech.

Ya know..it's always funny how much more civil Tech alums/fans, etc are than UGA's. I was happy that UGA was able to defend their team title this year but I seriously doubt there was anyone on UGA's side of things rooting for Amanda McDowell in her run to the title.

Gemini 07-19-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caesar66 (Post 2535441)
Too bad there are no NCAA math competitions, you guys might have a chance at beating us in something then :)

You really need to find a new joke. This one's pretty played out...

Here's one for you. How's a 2.0 GPA become a 4.0? Attend UGA.

Oh yeah...and GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

But if a collegiate athletic program is all about winning then I think they should be able to recruit whomever they want that is going to help them win. I do think American tennis needs to step up and answer the challenge.

baseliner 07-21-2008 11:46 AM

So funny for all the GTU* fans to bemoan the second clas status they are suffering from relative to the flagship institution of higher learning in the state of Georgia. UGA deservedly leads the pack in the state whether academically (gee where is the GTU law school or medical school?) or athletically. Sweet for the DAWGS to win the SEC basketball title on the GTU home floor. A men's team tennis title, again.

*Georgia Tech Univ.- the way many Dawg fans refer to Yech and the way they hate to be mentioned.

Gemini 07-24-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseliner (Post 2539922)
So funny for all the GTU* fans to bemoan the second clas status they are suffering from relative to the flagship institution of higher learning in the state of Georgia. UGA deservedly leads the pack in the state whether academically (gee where is the GTU law school or medical school?) or athletically. Sweet for the DAWGS to win the SEC basketball title on the GTU home floor. A men's team tennis title, again.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Tech has always been about Technology and the Physical Sciences. And yeah...there's no GTU law school or GTU med school because guess what..there is no GTU as you mentioned. But Tech does have an MBA program that outranks UGA's.

And Tech's always accepted the cream of the crop academically. It's pretty easy to graduate a lot more people when you let anybody in the front door, let them sleep their way to degree and graduate them without a second thought (UGA). Like I said before, 2.0 at Tech equals 4.0 at UGA.

And with Natalie Frazier done playing tennis for UGA. I can officially engage in the family feud that is GT/UGA-ly.

baseliner 07-24-2008 12:48 PM

Hey Gemini, check the incoming average SAT for the 2 institutions. UGA now exceeds GTU. GTU has lived in the past for 50 years claiming to be an academic institution of excellence. Mediocre engineering school.