Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   warmup before match? need serious help here! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=208309)

Tennisace21 07-07-2008 07:38 PM

warmup before match? need serious help here!

okay,

welll i've been playing a lot of tournaments lately, and it seems that i always lose the first set very badly every match because i'm not warmed up at all and i'm not loose (very tight). Could anyone tell me a warmup before a match to get me loose and moving my feet correctly OTHER than hitting with someone before the match because i have tried that and i still seem very tight during the first set. thanks!

Say Chi Sin Lo 07-07-2008 10:47 PM

yeah i need some help in this area too. My first 30mins/1st set usually goes to hell.

Ash_Smith 07-08-2008 12:28 AM

Physically you want to go on court already with a light sweat on, so skipping is great as it raises the heart rate quickly and will help wake up your coordination and footwork! Then dynamic stretching (plenty of sites on t'internet with routines etc), maybe a few static strecthes, PNF or SMR depending on how well you know your body. For example, I know my hamstrings are always tight as is my lower back, so after a dynamic warmup I PNF stretch my hamstrings and hip flexors and then SMR (foam roll) calves, hamstrings and IT band.

The I feel lose as anything. After the game, stretch again (more static/PNF) and i'll SMR again to reduce any knots and latic buildup.

Lots of stuff on stretching at www.(the)stretchinginstitute.net. brackets are because I can't remember if the address has "the" in it!!!

Also, don't get into the habit of thinking of your self as a slow starter. Develop a good pre-match mental routine so you go out convinced you're the faster starter - a la Rafa!!!

SystemicAnomaly 07-08-2008 02:30 AM

Some dynamic stretching as part of your pre-game warm-up is a good idea. You can also include some progressive shadow strokes (slow & easy at first, gradually increasing speed) and some footwork patterns. Rope skippng and other interval routines can be employed.

If you want to do a bit of light static stretching, do this 30 minutes or so before competition. If you feel that you need more extensive static stretching, then perform this 60 minutes or more before your match start times. This will allow enough time for your muscles (& joints) to recover to full power production levels. After the static stretching and before your match be sure to perform your dynamic warm-up.

The thing that helped me the most was to get my body loose and pumped up with some extended cardio exercise. I would try to get in at least 10-20 minutes of low-impact aerobic exercise followed by another 10 minutes of interval work. Usually, the more aerobic and interval work I could get in just prior to heading out to the court, the easier it was for me to get my footwork & strokes working for me in the match. The pre-game cardio routine really got my muscles relaxed, my heart pumping and my adrenaline & endorphins flowing. It really kicked my body's energy systems into more efficient modes of production.

Japanese Maple 07-08-2008 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennisace21 (Post 2503092)
okay,

welll i've been playing a lot of tournaments lately, and it seems that i always lose the first set very badly every match because i'm not warmed up at all and i'm not loose (very tight). Could anyone tell me a warmup before a match to get me loose and moving my feet correctly OTHER than hitting with someone before the match because i have tried that and i still seem very tight during the first set. thanks!

Tennisace21-how old are you and what level player are you? I assume you are pretty good if you play tournaments. Also, do you do daily stretching at all or just stretch before the match?

ollinger 07-08-2008 07:56 AM

Vilas said never go for a difficult shot the first 10 minutes of a match.

150mph_ 07-08-2008 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 2504394)
Vilas said never go for a difficult shot the first 10 minutes of a match.

nadal goes for 10.00 difficulty everypoint of the match... even the first point...
but nadal is nadal... he is just so good

larry10s 07-11-2008 09:33 AM

dynamic stretching,shadow strokes and footwork causing you to break a sweat before you go on court should definitely help. i also like to drop hit some fore hands and backhands and take 30 -40 serves prior to my match if i can. for me playing out points with a hitting partner after the warmup is ideal because im sort of starting the match from the 2nd set