Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Air Pulled Constant Pull? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=208556)

zidane339 07-08-2008 08:45 PM

Air Pulled Constant Pull?

Hey guys, this stringer on the auction site ( #270253958999) has a cool looking air compresser constant pull with a Alpha Pioneer III. Sellar states that the amount of air compressed will give the exact tension pulled.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Is it really that accurate with the air compression?

It looks very interesting and its an ingenious design IMO.

Bud 07-08-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zidane339 (Post 2506819)
Hey guys, this stringer on the auction site ( #270253958999) has a cool looking air compresser constant pull with a Alpha Pioneer III. Sellar states that the amount of air compressed will give the exact tension pulled.

Why go to all the hassle of using air compression/electricity when you can achieve constant pull manually?

flash9 07-09-2008 05:54 AM

Very Cool

I am impressed!

This seems to be a one of a kind stringing machine. Kind of a homemade Prince P200. 8-)

zidane339 07-09-2008 05:56 AM

It was impressive, ingenious design imo

Il Mostro 07-09-2008 06:43 AM

I've got to believe that maintaining accurate tensioning capabilties over time is a very difficult proposition with little potential for calibration. Neat idea but as Nancy Kerrigan once said "Why?".

Zhou 07-09-2008 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro (Post 2507656)
I've got to believe that maintaining accurate tensioning capabilties over time is a very difficult proposition with little potential for calibration. Neat idea but as Nancy Kerrigan once said "Why?".

Why not? (10 char)

Il Mostro 07-09-2008 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhou (Post 2507689)
Why not? (10 char)

Simple. The normal wear on bearings, the shaft and seals will create variances over time. There is no benefit to using a compressor other than being "different".

Bud 07-09-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro (Post 2507656)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhou (Post 2507689)
Why not? (10 char)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro (Post 2507896)
Simple. The normal wear on bearings, the shaft and seals will create variances over time. There is no benefit to using a compressor other than being "different".

As Il Mostro stated... the more variables you introduce into a system, the higher the probability things may go wrong.

Max Winther 07-09-2008 04:43 PM

Plus, what if something goes wrong with the $50 dollar compressor!?. You could get a leaky hose connecting the compressor to the machine. And the compressor would have to constantly be filling up the tank attached to the compressor (if your low end compressor even CAME with a tank, in which case it would just be on all the time), which makes it very noisy. And I know that when I'm working with pneumatic tools, the air compressor kicking on sometimes makes me jump. Wouldn't want to jump while you are stringing.

Overall, a good design and idea, but not practical enough to be better than a CP electric. I guess if you were well - versed in pneumatics, and had a lot of money to spend on a nice air compressor and to replace fittings and seals and whatnot regularly, it wouldn't be that bad. But why not just get a nice electric?

Aerial 07-09-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zidane339 (Post 2506819)

Strung with the Prince P200 and that used an air compressor, it seem pretty accurate to me. I check the calibration weekly and it was pretty much in sync. It was just too noisy for me.

PBODY99 07-09-2008 05:14 PM

Memory Lane.

The machine before the upgrade would have been of interest to vintage collectors, now I just don't know.
Just to have the handle shape of a TA Davis on a modern frame..brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!