Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help me pick a decent table top electric (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=209107)

jeffbeckib 07-11-2008 01:23 PM

Help me pick a decent table top electric

I just sold my True Tension machine to purchase an electric table top machine. What would you guys suggest? obviously I want constant pull, I string at 75lbs, and I do aprox 2 frames a week. My budget is around 900

Mansewerz 07-11-2008 01:28 PM

Gamma Progression ES, Silent Partner Jive (not constant pull though)

Gamma X-ES

You could go w/ Eagnas if your willing to take a gamble.

Steve Huff 07-11-2008 07:41 PM

Most of the electric table top machines have a rotational gripper. I'd save a little longer and get one with a linear gripper if you can.

barry 07-12-2008 03:04 AM

The SP DG model is around a $1000 and comes with a stand, but you can use it as a table top or a stand machine. Nice feature, decent machine.

If portability is an issue, the Gamma X-ES model is very easy to move around. I would not recommend a portable crank machine, as they are very awkward to move.

fastdunn 07-12-2008 09:27 AM

Alpha Revo 4k + Wise (~$1000)

if it really has to be under $900,

Eagnas table top crank + Wise.

rockbox 07-12-2008 10:44 AM

Whats the point of an electric if you only do two racquets a week. Drop weights are more accurate and require less maintenance. Whats another 20 minutes a week?

tjotim 07-14-2008 08:04 AM

SP DG seems to meet all your requirements as someone else previously suggested. If you can compromise on the machine being electronic, you might take a look at the ********* ML100 distributed by Alpha:

http://alphatennis.com/Machines2.htm

For a couple of frames/month, I would probably get a Alpha 4000 ($549 list) for myself.

http://alphatennis.com/Machines.htm

I recommended one for a former stringing customer of mine that wanted to do 15-20 frames/year and he has been very happy with it.

the wise wizard 07-14-2008 08:20 AM

alpha revo + wise tension head

fastdunn 07-14-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockbox (Post 2516865)
Whats the point of an electric if you only do two racquets a week. Drop weights are more accurate and require less maintenance. Whats another 20 minutes a week?

In human history, a "hobby" never made an economic sense. :)

mitchell_ota 07-14-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the wise wizard (Post 2521093)
alpha revo + wise tension head

That's the combination I have, and it's awesome. I'd recommend you go that route, even though it's a little above your budget. I think it's worth the extra $$$

jeffbeckib 07-15-2008 04:54 AM

I suppose if I go the route of the Wise combination I could just get a decent crank portable and add the wise later. Who makes the best clamps on a portable? I used to have an eagnas that was great, but the clamps were so far from the string bed that when you would clamp down, and then release the tension head the clamp would have too much horizontal play and that would kill me on the tie off. And all these machines seem to have the same type of clamping systems. The true tension had glide bars that were about 6 " under the string bed. Does anybody make a decent table top with glide bars?

Portability isn't a factor, I just need the machine to be small enough to tuck away when not in use.

rockbox 07-15-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastdunn (Post 2522153)
In human history, a "hobby" never made an economic sense. :)

I'm not talking about economics. Maybe I'm wrong, but the only disadvantage of a drop weight stringer is that they are slow. However, they are more precise and require less maintenance.

If I were only going to string only two racquets per week and cost were no object, I would probably purchase a string way machine.

Pro Staff Pete 07-15-2008 01:50 PM

I'd reckon this one as real decent and not only because I own one ;)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=196990

Oh and despite the comparison with the Silent Partner Jive, this machine does have constant pull.

Mansewerz 07-15-2008 02:09 PM

Really? Nice!

andtapes 07-20-2008 01:14 PM

THe Best Gamma ES II

Steve Huff 07-20-2008 02:53 PM

Don't believe the "dropweights are more precise" stuff. If they were, all the pro's would be using them. Many pro's have their own stringer, so speed isn't the only concern they have. Gravity is nice and constant, but unless you have an old Serrano or something similar, the precision of the dropweight isn't going to be nearly as precise as a good electronic constant pull machine. Neither will the clamping system. The table will most likely be more flexible too. And if you're stringing at 75#, a solid table is definitely important.

YULitle 07-30-2008 04:23 PM

Danny,

What you are doing is spamming and advertising. They are both against the rules. Now, you are new and probably don't know that and I'm certainly not an authority figure that could "do something" about it.

I just thought you might want to know.

Il Mostro 07-30-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry (Post 2516369)
The SP DG model is around a $1000 and comes with a stand, but you can use it as a table top or a stand machine. Nice feature, decent machine.

If portability is an issue, the Gamma X-ES model is very easy to move around. I would not recommend a portable crank machine, as they are very awkward to move.

Second the DG. I have one and it works perfectly -- all the features I need. USRSA agrees that it is one of the best machines for the $.

tbini87 07-30-2008 09:26 PM

if an electric machine isn't CP then it practically acts like a crank machine, no? are they generally faster than a crank, or around the same speed?

Il Mostro 08-01-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbini87 (Post 2569602)
if an electric machine isn't CP then it practically acts like a crank machine, no? are they generally faster than a crank, or around the same speed?

Exactly -- they lock-out once the specified tension is reached. Faster? Maybe slightly. I do feel like a lazy guy on my electric, so I would say it has convenience going for it (pre-stretch, knot tension at the push of a button). If CP isn't part of the equation, my personal preference would be for the simplicity of the manual machine -- less to go wrong IMO.