Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Please help with a stringing machine (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=2161)

Anonymous 03-28-2004 06:06 PM

Please help with a stringing machine

Hey guys,
I'm looking into getting into stringing, just because i can't afford $10 per string job (and this is a discount that one of my team members does it for).
I need a cheap machine that wont ruin my strings, racquets and wont fail on me

Which do you suggest:

silent partner e. stringer
ATS Super Stringer 2
Klippermate
Gamma x-2
Eagnas Hawk 10 (only $90--is this a good stringer?)

Deuce 03-28-2004 08:57 PM

The Gamma X-2 is essentially the same machine as the ATS Super Stringer 2. The Super Stringer 2 is a good, sturdy machine for the price.

The Klipper is a good machine, but it lacks the ratchet/clutch in the tension head, and so is noticably less convenient to use than the others, which have the ratchet/clutch..

Personally, I'd stay away from the e-stringer. Too many stories about the motor behaving badly. Silent Partner's Swing, though, is a good machine that you might want to add to your list.

As for Eagnas... I'll let others tell you.

SW Stringer 03-29-2004 08:39 AM

"The Klipper is a good machine, but it lacks the ratchet/clutch in the tension head, and so is noticably less convenient to use than the others, which have the ratchet/clutch.. " As a longtime Klipper user I'll tell you that the Klipper doesn't need a ratchet/clutch since the gripper mechanism allows the string to 'slide' through the gripper when you partially lift the tension arm and thus you can "slip the clutch" making minor adjustments to the arm angle without having to totally lift the arm and readjust the string. The gripper mechanisms on the ratchet/clutch machines won't allow you do that ( using a rough surfaced - some use diamond dust - gripper, which by the way eventually wears off and starts to slip). The Klipper also has a lifetime warranty.

Deuce 03-29-2004 10:45 PM

I'm familiar with both the clutch/ratchet system, as well as with the Klipper's system, and the clutch/ratchet system to me is significantly more convenient than is readjusting the slack on the Klipper until it's just right.

Anonymous 03-30-2004 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce

The Klipper is a good machine, but it lacks the ratchet/clutch in the tension head, and so is noticably less convenient to use than the others, which have the ratchet/clutch..

Thanks guys, but i have no clue what a clutch thing is ...

Do you think i'll be fine with a gamma x-2?

Gaines Hillix 03-30-2004 08:47 AM

Salman, the ATS SS II is preferable to the X-2, IMO. They are very similar, but they have changed the tension head stand and it is now a stamped part held together with bolts where as the SS II's is a 1 piece, cast part. A clutch or ratcheting tension head allows one to raise the drop weight arm while holding the rotating head stationary. Without this the drum and the arm both turn and you have to either release the string from the drum or let it slip to give it more slack if a second pull is needed. Most people feel it is easier to string on a drop weight machine that has a clutch.

David Pavlich 03-30-2004 07:22 PM

I got a real chuckle out of your post about "not falling on me". I guess it's a visual thing. Picture a Sensor pinning you for a 3 count!

David

Anonymous 03-31-2004 09:42 AM

David,

it says wont fail on me,
thats funny though, a stringing machine falling on me :)

David Pavlich 04-02-2004 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salman
David,

it says wont fail on me,
thats funny though, a stringing machine falling on me :)

It's not my fault, it's these damn progressive bifocals! I went back and read your post again...and tilted my head a bit more. I wear contacts during the day and have reading glasses for the close up stuff.

You're right, though, it would be a funny picture...a Klipper with a figure 4 leg lock on its unsuspecting master.

David

au 04-03-2004 01:15 AM

just don't get the Silent Partner electronic. it'll crap out on ya like it did to me.