Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Strings/Stringing: FAQ & Popular Topics (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=217127)

diredesire 08-22-2008 01:04 PM

Strings/Stringing: FAQ & Popular Topics

Placeholder for now, clearing up the # of stickies for the time being.

I'm also taking suggestions.

Nickb's Poly Reviews
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=173819

The J011yroger guide to strings.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=184942

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=74551

Ultimate string durability testing
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=137266

Comparative Reviews
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=110655

Master Playtest list
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=419469

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=419469

YULitle 08-22-2008 01:29 PM

If people wish to ask me a question, then, I suggest you send me an email through TT.

davidahenry 08-22-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YULitle (Post 2639512)
If people wish to ask me a question, then, I suggest you send me an email through TT.

Why this approach? I often learn a great deal from others' questions to you. I like to see the questions and responses in this open forum. Just my $0.02.

Thanks.

YULitle 08-22-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidahenry (Post 2639532)
Why this approach? I often learn a great deal from others' questions to you. I like to see the questions and responses in this open forum. Just my $0.02.

Thanks.

Well, I can't see when my thread has a new post as well as when it was stickied. So, for a better shot at getting a response, I suggest people send me an email now.

davidahenry 08-23-2008 05:06 AM

Gotcha - for question related to your video sticky, this makes perfect sense. I misunderstood. I thought you just meant in general that you would rather people email you. What I was referring to was when people post a thread titled like "Question for YULitle". I benefit from those types of posts.

Take care.

tennisfreak15347 08-23-2008 01:14 PM

since there are a growing number of stickies, I suggest putting all review stickies in this thread, like miniRafa's review, and nickb's upcoming multi review, but put back YULitle's sticky as he needs to see who asks questions.

diredesire 08-23-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisfreak15347 (Post 2641552)
since there are a growing number of stickies, I suggest putting all review stickies in this thread, like miniRafa's review, and nickb's upcoming multi review, but put back YULitle's sticky as he needs to see who asks questions.

There's actually a shrinking number of stickies, which is why this thread was created. YUL can see responses to his thread by clicking "User CP," if his subscriptions are turned on.

YULitle, if you really want your thread in it's separate stuck position, shoot me an e-mail.

TheShaun 08-24-2008 08:20 PM

just my two cents, i think yulitle's video thread deserves a spot on the main stringing page.

you could consolidate the TW job opportunities into one sticky, "TW Europe Job Opportunities"

diredesire 08-24-2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShaun (Post 2644545)
just my two cents, i think yulitle's video thread deserves a spot on the main stringing page.

you could consolidate the TW job opportunities into one sticky, "TW Europe Job Opportunities"

I agree that YUL's thread is sticky worthy, but the point of the sticky consolidation is to keep the stuck threads to a minimum, so it is self-defeating in that aspect. I personally feel that once you've visited (and posted in a thread) that it is subscribed and easily checkable (especially when something new comes up) in the User CP, but then again, that is my "work flow," and others might not subscribe to this way of using the forums. At this moment, I'd like (if at all possible) to keep stickies to a minimum and play it by ear for a little while.

All credit to YUL, though, he is undertaking in a HUGE project (video editing/encoding is time consuming and a PITA, frankly). I was planning to do the same for a long time, but never was able to set aside the time. Props to him, and I never meant to "take away" from his contributions in this manner.

J011yroger 08-30-2008 04:22 AM

Seriously though, I understand TW runs the site, but their hiring stickies are of no interest to 99.99% of peeps on the boards and completely unrelated to the forums that they are in.

But they still remain on the top while guides designed to actually help people get knocked off.

Same with the duability testing, neat to see, but not sticky worthy.

Same with the mains/crosses break thing.

J

tennisfreak15347 08-30-2008 07:53 AM

^^^^ agreed on the two threads being taken off. however, with the exception of YULitle's sticky, accumulating all the stickies in one single sticky seems to work nicely, since it doesn't take up so much space

diredesire 08-30-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 2659984)
Seriously though, I understand TW runs the site, but their hiring stickies are of no interest to 99.99% of peeps on the boards and completely unrelated to the forums that they are in.

But they still remain on the top while guides designed to actually help people get knocked off.

Same with the duability testing, neat to see, but not sticky worthy.

Same with the mains/crosses break thing.

J

Yeah, I agree, but I don't get to touch those ;)

origmarm 10-30-2008 03:19 AM

Wasn't there a thread where Yulitle goes through all the tools etc... required for stringing with pictures and suggestions? That would be a useful addition to the first post if possible. Thanks, Orig

nathan3011 12-08-2008 06:51 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to tennis, i only play a few times a year but the problem is that every now and then when i play i damage my racket, for some reason my strings keep snapping.

As i'm only a part-time player i don't have a very expensive racket and wondered if this could be why it keeps breaking??

Thanks

YULitle 12-08-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan3011 (Post 2917922)
Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to tennis, i only play a few times a year but the problem is that every now and then when i play i damage my racket, for some reason my strings keep snapping.

As i'm only a part-time player i don't have a very expensive racket and wondered if this could be why it keeps breaking??

Thanks

It helps to know where they broke. If they broke in the center then you probably are just wearing through them. If they broke near the frame then you might have busted grommets. When the string busts through the grommets the string can rub on the frame, which leads to premature breakage.

zapvor 12-09-2008 04:47 AM

i agree with the others-i think YuLite should have his own sticky on the main page. the other stickies are not as detailed or helpful but i think most agree YuLite's videos and countless answering of questions hae been tremendous for the tennis community at large on this forum

Asclade 02-04-2009 07:59 PM

Stringing Tool

Hey everybody, this is my first post on TW and it's nice to get to know everybody on the forum. I was wondering if anyone could help me out, I use an electric stringing machine and sometimes when I string, I don't have enough to reach the tensioner and I have to leave a string or two untensioned to complete the racquet. There was a tool I was introduced to, it was some sort of clamp that has another piece of string attached to it, so that even if you didn't have enough, that other piece of string could reach the tensioner and tension your string. Does anyone know what this kind of clamp is called and where to get it? Also I have trouble tensioning the last string on the crosses, any suggestions? Thanks for your time guys!

diredesire 02-05-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asclade (Post 3101377)
Hey everybody, this is my first post on TW and it's nice to get to know everybody on the forum. I was wondering if anyone could help me out, I use an electric stringing machine and sometimes when I string, I don't have enough to reach the tensioner and I have to leave a string or two untensioned to complete the racquet. There was a tool I was introduced to, it was some sort of clamp that has another piece of string attached to it, so that even if you didn't have enough, that other piece of string could reach the tensioner and tension your string. Does anyone know what this kind of clamp is called and where to get it? Also I have trouble tensioning the last string on the crosses, any suggestions? Thanks for your time guys!

It's called a starting clamp, alternatively, you could use a splicing knot to attach a scrap piece of string.

ronalditop 02-08-2009 02:27 PM

is it true that polys lose tension fast and become dead, so only people who restring often can use them? cause i dont have a stringing machine so i restring once they break, and thats why im not sure if using a poly. right now i use syn guts at a very high tension to get good control, but since everybody talks about the spin polys have, i would like to give it a try.

diredesire 02-11-2009 03:45 PM

It's partially true, a "dead" feeling string bed is all about how you perceive the feel to be. If you are stringing your syn guts very tight, you might even like the feel of a (looser!) poly. Since polys are stiffer in nature, you can drop the tension (some recommend up to 10%) and retain a lot of the control. However, you should be aware that the stiffness can cause joint pain (elbow, wrist, etc).

As far as the tension loss, yes, polys tend to lose tension fast regardless of the technology, some polys are much better than others, but none are stand out IMHO. If you are looking for more info, feel free to create a separate thread ;)