Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bench Press (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=217604)

FastFreddy 08-25-2008 02:57 PM

Bench Press

List how much you can bench.

Rickson 08-25-2008 04:58 PM

345 lbs. in 2002 and currently, around 275, but I don't practice on the bench anymore. I took 2 years off from weight training and I was able to flat bench 225 lbs. the first time I tried it again so I'm pretty sure that I could once again bench over 315 if I practiced. These days, I prefer to do dips in the park and I can do a lot of them due to my strong presses from back in the day.

Say Chi Sin Lo 08-25-2008 05:11 PM

dips kill your shoulders, dont do them

Rickson 08-25-2008 06:00 PM

Deep dips are tough on the shoulders for beginners, but trust me, I'm no beginner. I'm extremely strong in the pressing department and although, deep dips (dips beyond parallel) are not recommended for beginners, I'm pretty sure a guy like me is safe. Remember, I was able to bench 3 plates on each side and I could dip with 3/45 lb. plates in between my legs so your advice doesn't apply to men of my strength.

cncretecwbo 08-25-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastFreddy (Post 2646447)

how about weight too?
and power clean, squat and deadlift

i bench 155 for 5, maybe 175 for 1
i weight 175

i power clean 165, squat maybe 250-270 (i dont max), and deadlift 290 for 5, so maybe 310-315 for 1?

FastFreddy 08-25-2008 06:31 PM

Best lifts

Here are my best bench numbers at certain body weight.
158 benched 225
170 benched 300
185 benched 340
192 benched 365
206 benched 385
213 benched 405
223 benched 425
Now I still can put up 385 at 209, but I benching is wrecking my right shoulder again. So I do 285 for 15 reps 3 sets. I have too get a mri on my shoulder this week I think I tore it up on the tennis court 3 weeks ago hitting a high two hand backhand and hurt it again this past weekend on the backhand again. I already had two rotator cuff surgery one one the left and one on the right. I think I need another one on the right or lots of pt and no more bench and switch to a one hand backhand.

Rickson 08-25-2008 06:47 PM

You're a big mofo. Why don't you cut back on the bench weight if you have shoulder problems? I had to stay away from presses altogether a couple of years ago and my shoulders feel good now. My right shoulder was hurting badly from serving so I cut back on the tennis and didn't weight train at all. Sometimes rest is the answer.

Trasher 08-25-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 2646757)
dips kill your shoulders, dont do them

Ha maybe they kill you, I've never had problems with them, and I do them deep, always. These are not for everybody:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickson (Post 2646882)
Deep dips are tough on the shoulders for beginners, but trust me, I'm no beginner. I'm extremely strong in the pressing department and although, deep dips (dips beyond parallel) are not recommended for beginners, I'm pretty sure a guy like me is safe. Remember, I was able to bench 3 plates on each side and I could dip with 3/45 lb. plates in between my legs so your advice doesn't apply to men of my strength.

Hey I've been wanting to know for a long time now, if deep dips are bad for your shoulders or whatever, because I have always done them deep. I'm 19, but for like 2-3 years I have been doing them and not doing them, I always did them deep, and I never felt problems anywhere whatsoever, but then I've read in many places that it's bad to do them deep, and since I have never felt anything, I wonder if they ment in the long run or something?:confused:

Oh but I always do them without weights, don't like weights.

Same thing for deep bench dips, have you ever done them? I also read that those are bad too, but again I do them deep and it feels good. What do you think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastFreddy (Post 2646447)

Well, the most I ever benched was 97 lbs. I think, LOL! But I didn't get into that exercise

Rickson 08-25-2008 07:39 PM

The more flexible you are, the less dangerous they are for you. Take gymnasts for example. High level gymnasts can do a full split without any problems at all, but someone who isn't used to all that dynamic and static stretching would not come close to a full split. Depth on dips depends a lot on the individual and not on the generalization that deep dips are bad for the shoulders. If we follow that philosophy, we shouldn't weight train at all because something's gonna get strained sooner or later. If you're comfortable doing deep dips, don't worry about it.

Say Chi Sin Lo 08-25-2008 07:46 PM

umm... no my physical therapist who was helping me rehab my surgically repaired shoulder told me that. Lowering yourself in the dip exercise brings the humerus way out in front, and it's not ideal. The major benefit of the dip exercise is the triceps, why dont you just do a normal tricep routine.

Incline bench is also bad on the shoulder, especially bad on your biceps. It leaves your bicep tendon exposed.

and i bench 175 @12, 195 @ 10, 215 @ 8 for now...

It's meaningless if you dont mention how much you weigh (a bigger person can definitely bench more). I'm 140lbs

the wise wizard 08-25-2008 07:50 PM

i can only do 140-145.....im 6'2" 200lbs....... and apparently very weak

Rickson 08-25-2008 07:57 PM

I used to train a physical therapist, son. Your PT does not know more than I do about exercises. Rehab, perhaps, exercises, no.

BTW, I do dips as a chest exercise.

Anthonycole 08-25-2008 08:03 PM

I never cared for bench but my max was 205.

but my power clean is at 300 at 185 body weight. I competed in school and beat out every weight class, next closest was 285.

Say Chi Sin Lo 08-25-2008 08:11 PM

damn SON, dont gotta be all defensive and gloat. Just trying to share my experience say that dip puts unnecessary stress on your shoulders. If i'm correct, and please do correct me if i'm wrong son. Rehab is all about restoration and maintenance. One must know a good deal about the complexity of a joint and know what to lock on, and what to avoid in order to restore and maintain function.

Just out of curiosity, do you actually have a degree as a PT and have you actually helped someone with rehab?

Rickson 08-25-2008 08:15 PM

I was certified by ACE, and Apex which is a division of NASM. One of my clients was a physical therapist and although she knew more about bodyparts than I did, I knew how to exercise those bodyparts better than she did although I wouldn't doubt that she knew more when it came to rehabilitating injured muscles and joints. Anything else you'd like to know, son?

Say Chi Sin Lo 08-25-2008 08:31 PM

nope, that would be all thank you. Dont try to get into people's faces just cause they're trying to share something son

Trasher 08-25-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickson (Post 2647204)
The more flexible you are, the less dangerous they are for you. Take gymnasts for example. High level gymnasts can do a full split without any problems at all, but someone who isn't used to all that dynamic and static stretching would not come close to a full split. Depth on dips depends a lot on the individual and not on the generalization that deep dips are bad for the shoulders. If we follow that philosophy, we shouldn't weight train at all because something's gonna get strained sooner or later. If you're comfortable doing deep dips, don't worry about it.

Yeah, I'm flexible enough to do them deep, I've never had shoulder problems before, until now though (but that was from doing something else, which will go unmentioned due to it's great stupidity...) but anyways, even with that shoulder nuisance I'm having right now, it doesn't bother me still.

This pain used to be in my shoulder, where it connects with the arm, and since I started doing exercises, like push ups and just bodyweight exercises, it seems it has started to move upwards and now I feel it in my clavicule, near my neck.:confused: What the hell?

I don't remember exactly how I got that pain, but my guess would be that first I may have got it from playing too much resident evil 4, because when those zombies grab you, you have to move the left analog stick left and right really fast, and since I played many hours and got caught many times, I did that left-to-right motion too many times and that's when it all started hurting, I couldn't do any shot when I played tennis, it felt like my arm would break off. So I rested from tennis, began doing exercises and suddenly the pain disappeared, but now it came back somehow, but I think it could have been from swinging a dumbbell bar.

heycal 08-25-2008 08:50 PM

I've seen some articles and videos by this trainer guy Tom Purvis, and he too says dips are awful for the shoulders.

But I've never heard incline bench press is bad for shoulders, or biceps. (DE-cline maybe.) Anyone know about this claim?

Rickson 08-25-2008 08:50 PM

Listen, Say Lo, you went off about how dips kill your shoulders and not to do them when this thread wasn't even about dips. You took a direct shot at me and not the other way around. Dips are a chest exercise so your advice about doing bench dips was very bad for those who want to do dips as a chest enhancer. It's always a good idea to do some research before you give questionable advice. If you don't want to research your advice, save the advice giving for the professionals.

Trasher 08-25-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickson (Post 2647424)
Listen, Say Lo, you went off about how dips kill your shoulders and not to do them when this thread wasn't even about dips. You took a direct shot at me and not the other way around. Dips are a chest exercise so your advice about doing bench dips was very bad for those who want to do dips as a chest enhancer. It's always a good idea to do some research before you give questionable advice. If you don't want to research your advice, save the advice giving for the professionals.

hey did you read my post to you?