Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Sampras "O" Shock Absorber (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=220019)

uni 09-06-2008 05:23 PM

Sampras "O" Shock Absorber
 
I see that this shock absorber comes in a 2 pack with 2 different colors. on the feedback, ppl say that they are different.

I wanted to know wat the differences were between these 2 were

thanks

UNI

nCode747 09-06-2008 05:27 PM

the diffrences are one is black and one is red.

Azzurri 09-06-2008 05:28 PM

To me, the red dampener is softer to the touch. its a bit less stiff, but it seems to have no difference once it is placed on the stringbed.

uni 09-06-2008 05:29 PM

so the feeling isnt different when actually playing with it?

Azzurri 09-06-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uni (Post 2688738)
so the feeling isnt different when actually playing with it?

no, none. you would have to be some type of special human being to be able to tell the difference between any of the typical dampeners.:)

Fedace 09-06-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slappano (Post 2688863)
no, none. you would have to be some type of special human being to be able to tell the difference between any of the typical dampeners.:)

I think the RED one looks Prettier and more fierce...:) and i think this dampner is way too heavy.

[d]ragon 09-06-2008 09:54 PM

from what i;ve seen and used:
red dampens more
red is more plasticy and hardens as time goes on
black is more rubbery and softens as time goes on
the red is red and the black is black

Il Mostro 09-06-2008 10:00 PM

They are the same. The pigment used to create red & black makes no difference whatsoever. I contacted Unique and they laughed at the suggestion that these might be different. The notion that red & black feel different or play differently is typical of some of the idiocy that ferments here.

I use the Pete. They are fine. So is a rubber band. So is just about every other dampener out there.

uni 09-06-2008 10:23 PM

so are they made out of different materials or just different colors?

and btw i know that the color pigment has nothing to do with how it feels. but ppl say that the red one is softer so i wanted to know for sure

some6uy008 09-06-2008 11:11 PM

I have always used the O shock since it's cheap, and in my opinion, I think they are exactly the same.

I do prefer the red one though, but mainly because it stands out.

Magnus_CA 09-06-2008 11:24 PM

I work in the plastics industry and my bet is the red pigment is added to the compound while carbon black is added to the black compound for UV stabilization. So in effect, they are made from different materials and may have a different durometer. I highly doubt these are any different from the silicone grommets sold for industrial/commercial applications. At most they have Sampras' name cut into the mold.

By the way, we sell vinyl grommets for a little over 3.5 cents each in bags of 200. Silicone is more expensive than vinyl but someone is seriously making a killing on these at $1.50 each!

Virtua Tennis 09-06-2008 11:44 PM

These are the worst dampeners ever they harden like plastic and don't do a real good job. Also I heard that actual Sampras dampeners are soft and rubbery and they're not made by unique.

uni 09-07-2008 03:49 PM

wait he has a paint job shock absorber haha

JW10S 09-07-2008 04:50 PM

Sampras used cable grommets...

Azzurri 09-07-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro (Post 2689573)
They are the same. The pigment used to create red & black makes no difference whatsoever. I contacted Unique and they laughed at the suggestion that these might be different. The notion that red & black feel different or play differently is typical of some of the idiocy that ferments here.

I use the Pete. They are fine. So is a rubber band. So is just about every other dampener out there.

The read one is much softer. I thought it may have been just the one in the 2 pack, but I bought 2 more packs and the red is softer in the other 2, so not sure what Unique was laughing at. The black one is more stiff, but it does not seem to make a difference. You obviously never had a set.

Azzurri 09-07-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 2692754)
Sampras used cable grommets...

That's correct. He did use cable grommets.

Il Mostro 09-07-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slappano (Post 2692955)
The read one is much softer. I thought it may have been just the one in the 2 pack, but I bought 2 more packs and the red is softer in the other 2, so not sure what Unique was laughing at. The black one is more stiff, but it does not seem to make a difference. You obviously never had a set.

Dude, you are out of your mind. I use them on all my racquets. I just opened a new 2-pack to test the feel -- they are the same. Get off the pipe. Crack kills.

Azzurri 09-07-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro (Post 2693015)
Dude, you are out of your mind. I use them on all my racquets. I just opened a new 2-pack to test the feel -- they are the same. Get off the pipe. Crack kills.

whatever. I and countless others have discussed this in other threads. another poster noted they are made using different materials. won't argue with a liar that never even used them.

watching a game with 2 buddies. they know nothing about tennis. I just gave them the black and red dampener. I asked them to describe the feel. Both said the red is softer and feels more like rubber and the black is harder with a plastic feel. They proceeded to ask me why would I waste my time with nonsense..they don't understand tennis, but they have common sense and both felt the red was softer.

NOTE TO ALL: I noticed something. The O's my buddies felt were new. I just noticed my 2 old, used for at least 6 months black dampeners are much softer than the newer black one. Maybe as they get used they soften, but the new black one is certainly stiffer than the new red one.

Does anyone else have a used older pair and a new out of the package pair??

mendozer 09-07-2008 06:36 PM

Hmm.......

mendozer 09-07-2008 07:19 PM

what shock absorbers do others prefer or does it not really matter in your guys opinions?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse